X

Hauling my bike.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauling my bike.

I have a journey of about 1500km ahead of me and I would like to take my bike with to ride when I get there. I came across a website of a place that builds a frame that bolts onto the tow bar of your car, that allows the front wheel of the bike to slot into and the back wheel stays on the road surface, there are fastening points on the frame that you use to tie the front down with.
    Would it be advisable to remove the chain in this instance? what do you think of the general concept? The website I am refering to can be found on Facebook - Goose Bike Works.
    I have the 1988 GSX 1100F.

I've seen those haulers advertized as well, and was considering buying one. Personally, I don't think you'd have to remove your chain, but it would make perfect sense to make sure it's well-lubricated.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I don't think that I would ever want to use something like this.

Consider the wear on the rear tire as my primary concern.

I'm not sure how easily you could remove the chain, although that's probably not a bad idea.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Personally I wouldn't get that type of hauler, just due to the fact that the rear tire stay's in contact with the raod. That will be 3000 km of tire wear on the rear alone. For short jaunts maybe but not longer trips. JMO.

This is the type of hauler I picked up, works very well( depending on the type of vehicle you are hauling with and proper hitch). http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600...cle-hauler.htm
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

^ That was my second choice when I was considering hauling my bike out to the East coast. I finally decided to just ride it there and back.
          Last edited by Slofuze; 09-16-2013, 10:49 PM.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Even those scare me vs just using a small light weight trailer.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

They work well, I wouldn't suggest it if you have a small vehicle or even a small pick-up.

But I do agree, a small trailer would be a better choice.
              2002 750 Kat
              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800

Comment

Wouldn't it be more fun to ride it?!
                Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

im not sure rooney

Comment

Bolting a frame to a towbar to literally drag your bike has to be one of the worst ideas ever!

I'd hate to see the mess it'll be in once the journey is finished - if it's even there.

Having said that - a mate of mine welded together a cage that slid into the towbar socket and bolted to the frame of his F150. It held the bike against the bed door with some foam and torque wraps. Went from Florida to Washington apparently.

No idea of it's veracity, but has to be better than dragging it there.

Comment

I've used the VersaHaul with my Katana many times. I also pull a small enclosed trailer behind it. Total tongue weight is 685 (bike 440 + carrier 70 + trailer tongue weight 175) pounds and the F-150 max on the hitch is 883 lb. I have looked at adding some air ride to the truck but haven't gone that far yet.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Towing a bike as such may be ok for short distance, but not ideal for long trips.
                        Rear tire really gets worn over long distance.
                        Turning while the bike is in tow may create problems for the bike would lean and loosen the tie-down..

Comment

Wait, you are using these with a pickup? Why not just load it in the bed? Mine fits in the bed of my ranger.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcanjim View Post
                            Wait, you are using these with a pickup? Why not just load it in the bed? Mine fits in the bed of my ranger.
                            Yeah I do from time to time as well. Some trips the box of my Dodge Ram 2500 is packed and I don't have room for My Kat so the SMC-600 comes in handy.
                            2002 750 Kat
                            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800

Comment

it's the same contraption as in "K" photo.
                              thank's for the advise gentlemen.

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
                              Personally I wouldn't get that type of hauler, just due to the fact that the rear tire stay's in contact with the raod. That will be 3000 km of tire wear on the rear alone. For short jaunts maybe but not longer trips. JMO.

This is the type of hauler I picked up, works very well( depending on the type of vehicle you are hauling with and proper hitch). http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600...cle-hauler.htm
                              I have seen these advertised in South Africa but for dirt bikes only, I have not found one that can handle the weight of my old tank.
                              Perhaps I need to dig a little deeper.
                              Last edited by NAMKAT; 09-17-2013, 01:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X