X

1988 Katana 1100 ready for a bigger garage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Katana 1100 ready for a bigger garage

I really really love this bike, but space and time are issues now.
    01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Sweet ride!

Comment

too bad it's an 88. most people can't tell the difference, but i have owned enough of the 88-93 1100's to know that the 88 is the worst handling of them all, hence the frame redesign for 89.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mojoe, what is different on the frame? I know the swing arm got longer and the front suspension became adjustable but I thought the frames were all the same. Anyway, with 17" wheels and brake upgrade this bike got, I guarantee this bike handles better than any stock Kat 1100.

This guys bike is nice. He should buy mine to use for parts.
        Last edited by TheHayabusa; 10-06-2013, 07:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Originally posted by TheHayabusa View Post
          Mojoe, what is different on the frame? I know the swing arm got longer and the front suspension became adjustable but I thought the frames were all the same. Anyway, with 17" wheels and brake upgrade this bike got, I guarantee this bike handles better than any stock Kat 1100.

What would you recomend to pep up the front of the '88?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHayabusa View Post

the main difference was the rake of the front forks. it was redesigned to give it a longer wheel base, along with lengthening the swing arm. it also made better changes to the front and rear suspension. but honestly, the change I notice the most, and what I dislike the most about the 88 is the lack of rubber engine mounts. after long rides on my 88, my hands, feet and ass always felt a bit tingly from engine vibration. I didn't have that problem with any of the 89's and up.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by nismo View Post
              What would you recomend to pep up the front of the '88?

Nismo, do a 17" wheel upgrade. Search this forum, detailed instructions are all over the place. Great tires are the most important item on any bike, and nobody ever made great tires for a Kat 1100.

Mojoe, so I did some digging around and you are correct that the frame got adjusted and the engine became rubber mounted and carbs grew to 36mm. I did not know that. I just thought the Kat got new front forks.
              Way back in 1993 I bought a 1992 GSXR 1100 as my first bike. My buddy had a 1988 Kat 1100 and basically he taught me how to ride. Every so often we would swap bikes and I feel like this is one of the bikes I "grew up" on.
              So fast forward to the spring of 2005 and right before my first kid was born, my last Hayabusa was stolen. By this point I knew what kind of hassle I was in for from the insurance company so I grabbed this bike off of eBay so I could keep riding. I did not need to test ride the bike, it was an '88 Kat 1100 in pristine shape, I knew what I was in for. So I did a bunch of old school mods and randomly rode the bike for 7 years without getting a ticket.

I now have three kids and a 2013 FLTRU that I ride like a Hayabusa which might grant me my next ticket, but I love my Kat. If I had $2,000 to waste, I would RACE this bike on a road course, (I just need a full set of leathers, a custom machined triple tree and forks from a Hayabusa or GSXR 1000).

I put a $3,000 tag on my bike because I did not want some putz to buy my bike and spray paint it. I can honestly say that I have never ridden an '89 or newer Kat 1100 and I might be missing something.., but I love my '88 Kat 1100.

Comment

Working...
              X