X

I need a frame..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    Does your state charge property tax on vehicles when you register it or tag it? If they do, then they already have the "value" of the bike they will go by for the bond.

Actual condition does not apply... they look up the bike in their system and if it says "Tax Value $849"... then the value is $849 if it's a rust pile, or a pristine condition 0 mileage bike. So, just call the DMV and ask for the value so you know for sure.

Then buy the bond for the appropriate amount of 1.5X the value the DMV told you, or min $100 for the $1500 coverage. Allstate I know sells the bonds, as well as most other auto insurance offices. You don't have to have insurance with the office to buy a bond. A bond IS basically theft coverage insurance for the title. If the bike gets reported as stolen over the next 3 years, then the bond pays the prior owner $value of the bike, and you keep the property.

Then have the DMV inspect the vin (normally this is free, and the trooper comes to the bike location to do this) and get the report from the trooper right then.

Take the bond, vin inspection report, a title application (download or fill out there), I suggest a purchase receipt from the prior owner but it's not nessasary, and $ for the Title registration and any notory fees you will need.

1-3 months later you receive a title in the mail.

<--- has 2 bike titles now from this method, after buying the bikes stupid cheap due to no title.

Krey
    Wow looks like I know how Ima buy my next bike insanely cheap. To be on the safe side if I was to buy a bike with no title I probably should get an officer to meet me there and run the vin then or call it in right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jreid843 View Post
      Wow looks like I know how Ima buy my next bike insanely cheap. To be on the safe side if I was to buy a bike with no title I probably should get an officer to meet me there and run the vin then or call it in right.

Yes, a simple check before purchase with law enforcement or with the DMV gets the simple answer as to if the bike has previously been reported as stolen.

You can do a prelim check by going to https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck which has worked well for me so far, but... that shouldn't be your sole check before passing along $.

As for keeping the bike... that would only happen here if the bike WAS stolen. Do your homework before and that's not a problem or even really a consideration.

Krey
      Last edited by Kreylyn; 08-28-2013, 03:44 PM.
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        laws vary by state. In pa, local sheriff reserves the right to confiscate it.
        yup !! ^
        Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

Working...
        X