Solve this mystery:

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solve this mystery:

I have a 91 Kat 1100.

I have done a lot of upgrades including rejetting and V&H exhaust. I have balanced the carbs, and tuned the air mixture screws etc.

Here is the problem I am encountering. It idles pretty smooth most of the time, but one day, after riding it really hard, I stopped for gas, and when I started it back up it idled pretty rough. Seemed like it was missing on a cylinder or two.

Any thoughts?

Did you let the fuel get really low? Could have dragged some crap out the bottom of the tank, blocked up the jets.

Dave E

Comment

Originally posted by clockwork cdger View Post
      Did you let the fuel get really low? Could have dragged some crap out the bottom of the tank, blocked up the jets.

Dave E
      Nope. Tank had a gallon left. and my tank is very clean.

Comment

Check nothing has come loose from the vibrations in the way of ignition parts. have you anything to be able to check the coils, see if they have broken down?

Dave E

Comment

It happened one day once, or it has been continuing to happen?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That's not a lot of info to narrow it down. Did you do a basic check? (spark plugs, carburators, re-check settings on air/fuel mix screws,..)
            Does it only happen when idle?
            Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Sounds like heat-soaked coils. How is it doing after cooling off?
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I agree with coil/ht issues. After I get off the freeway and wait a long time at a light my kat will hiccup as I pull way. Feels very much like a fuel problem, but consistently happens. If the light is short, no problems.

I did the coil mod, but have not run the bike since. I am painting it.
                '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  Sounds like heat-soaked coils. How is it doing after cooling off?
                  I didn't think about it possibly being the coils, but that makes a lot of sense. The bike definitely seems to not like the really hot days we have been having, and I can see the coils getting much more heat when the bike stops while I'm getting gas. The bike seams to do fine after it cools down.

I was thinking that maybe a fuel line was getting squashed with the extra weight in the tank, but it didn't seem that the tank had enough vertical play, to make this happen.

Thanks!

Comment

The tank is pretty solidly mounted so I doubt that it's moving at all. You can check the fuel lines with a flashlight. It won't matter if the bike is warm or not, though.

There's got to be a good coil out there that would provide the same or better spark than the stock ones and fit in there without costing an arm and a leg. It's not like there's anything real cosmic about matching coils. Wonder if this one would work: https://www.denniskirk.com/wsm/ignit...prd/200095.sku
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                    X