X

momentary lapse of reason

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• momentary lapse of reason

Good evening fellow kat owners. I just thought of selling my 91 1100 to get something else that doesn't need as much work. I went out to look at it and instantly started feeling better. So if anyone can give me words of encouragement I would appreciate it. It does need a few things to be road worthy. Its hard to look at it and not be able to ride like I want. I hope the wait will be worth it.

Encouragement to keep a katana 1100? Good luck
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I am 6'2" 230 pounds and a 600 isn't made for a big man. A litre bike makes more sense for the long trips. A negative response is what I need to keep my 1100. A 600 will do 160 but not for long, a litre bike will do 160 all day long. I have ridin both sizes up and down the west coast and I will take a litre bike everytime. I wouldn't mind having a nice 750.

Comment

The difference between "momentary lapse of reason" and "moment of enlightenment" can be hard to differentiate.

I am guessing you will not be happy with anything less than a liter.

What would you replace it with? A new bike would be more reliable. Keep in mind that modern sport touring bikes are huge.

I do really enjoy riding my 1100 despite all its problems and flaws. Beyond that I don't know anything about you kat, so I can't really give any specific advice.
        '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
          What would you replace it with? A new bike would be more reliable. Keep in mind that modern sport touring bikes are huge.
          They are not all huge. My Triumph Sprint is lighter than the Kat 1100 I had by a long shot.

Comment

The wait was worth it here. Just got back from a 1200 mile road trip. Not to mention finding these bikes isn't easy. Hubbys doesn't have the labels so he gets a kick outta it when people ask him what kinda bike and what size it is. She has her issues but it's good in the fact I am learning how to work on her.

Comment

Words of encouragement... YOU CAN DO EEEEET!

Seriously, I'm pretty fond of my 1100. She's a sexy beast. My 750 was a lot of fun, too but in a different way. The 1100 definitely feels more stable and ya gotta love having big gobs of power.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

A new litre bike isn't in the near future so I have to work with what I got. I do miss my fz1 I had before the economy went bad. It takes awhile for some to get back on your feet. I'm happy to be able to ride. I might even look at getting a Bandit 1200. Busas are nice but there are a lot of them on the road. Thanks for the feedback good or bad. I enjoy this site.

Comment

I bought my Katana 1100 new in 1988. She's 25 years old this year. I still love it. I recently came across a deal on a brand new leftover 2010 Suzuki GSX650F that I couldn't pass up. Can't afford to keep both, but I'm not really thrilled about having to sell my Kat. It had been parked for the last 2 years because the alternator crapped out. Got a used one off eBay for $25 last month and is running great now. They are nice bikes. This one carried me across Canada, from Halifax to Victoria and then back home through the US during the summer of 1990. Maybe I can sweet talk my wife in to letting me keep both... LOL! Fix her up and keep her! There aren't many left on the road.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jollidude View Post
                    I bought my Katana 1100 new in 1988. She's 25 years old this year. I still love it. I recently came across a deal on a brand new leftover 2010 Suzuki GSX650F that I couldn't pass up. Can't afford to keep both, but I'm not really thrilled about having to sell my Kat. It had been parked for the last 2 years because the alternator crapped out. Got a used one off eBay for $25 last month and is running great now. They are nice bikes. This one carried me across Canada, from Halifax to Victoria and then back home through the US during the summer of 1990. Maybe I can sweet talk my wife in to letting me keep both... LOL! Fix her up and keep her! There aren't many left on the road.
                    If that's a recent picture then I'd say you have a pretty nice bike. My '88 1100 isn't perfect but bought it cheap and it now has over 40K and still going strong. Mine too had an alternator problem. As to the original post, whether to keep or sell is always a different answer for everyone. Finances, mechanical abilities, intrinsic value, etc. all play a role. Don't let anybody talk you into or out of it, it's got to be your decision only.
                    Last edited by BIG-KO; 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling
                    Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

Well I hope you keep at it,they are beautiful bikes to ride and they are
                      getting rare....
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by loneraider; 08-11-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

My daughter & I enjoying the summer weather
                        & riding the big kat..lol
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X