X

clutch quit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch quit

Clutch worked fine til I changed the chain and sprocket... I'm a naturally inquisitive person, and generally don't look things up, so when I too the front sprocket cover off, I didn't know what was up, so I disconnected the line to the slave cylinder thinking that it'd stay behind, nope, slave cylinder went with the cover, OK... So, I noticed the pushrod, pulled it out, said "huh.." And put it back. Finished the chain, bled the mc and slave, and all that works well, but the clutch doesn't work... The thing slams into gear, pushrod does nothing, what can I do? Well, first off, I'm buying a Harley tomorrow, but in order to sell my big kat, yeah, 88 kat 1100 BTW, it should function properly... What am I missing?
    ford guy turned kat rider

Bleed, bleed, bleed, bleed.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Its bled... I have pressure .

Comment

I could use some advice here... I can't get that push rod to.do anything even by hand...

Comment

Originally posted by seethesvt View Post
          I could use some advice here... I can't get that push rod to.do anything even by hand...
          It's got to be in the adjustment. I'm not familiar with hydro clutches other than if it doesn't have all the air out of the lines it will not work properly. Does the push rod seem froze up?

Off topic, whats the info on the bike and what are you selling it for?
          Last edited by kevin2502000; 05-09-2013, 07:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

The rod isn't frozen, it comes out..

Comment

The rod isn't frozen, it comes out..
              Do you understand how the clutch works? By pushing on the rod, energy spreads the discs/plates apart causing friction to break from transmission to crankshaft. By frozen, I am asking if the plates/discs might not be spreading apart. If it's was working fine before the sprocket replacement, I doubt this is the issue, more likely not enough pressure to activate the rod.

Comment

You are not going to be able to push the push rod by hand or even with a tool. The clutch springs are too stiff.

When you say it slams into gear, does the bike lurch forward and die? Basically with a cold engine and if it has sat for a long time, the clutch plates will sticky.

Try this, with the engine off, get on the bike put it in first, hold in clutch in and try rolling the bike. You should feel some resistance at first (stuck clutch plates), then it should roll fine. If it does not roll then there still something wrong with the clutch.

One more item: If the side stand is down the engine will cut out when put it in gear.

One more idea. The sprocket cover must be seated correctly or the clutch MC will not have enough throw to open the clutch. One I was reinstalling the sprocket cover and it seemed in place but was not. The alignment tubes might be messed up.
                Last edited by subforry; 05-13-2013, 01:54 PM. Reason: had another idea
                '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Bled the clutch 4 different ways, made damn sure the cover was seated properly... Everything's normal, except for clutch operation... Bikes on center stand... Not on the ground... Never had a clutch issue before sprocket change... Could the vibrations from the impact used to remove the nut have caused something internal to malfunction? Kinda weak... Bought a Harley though, brand new fxdbp sport Bob...

Comment

Congrats on the new HD, enjoy.

I am stumped on your clutch problem. I guess remove the clutch cover, disks, and plates. Its not a hard job and maybe you will find something.

Good luck.
                    '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Are you still selling it?

Comment

I wanna get it working first... Then I'm either selling it, or street fighting it...

Comment

Go back to what you messed with. The big item that jumps out at me is that you opened the system. Hydraulic clutches can be a real booger to bleed and it's easy to think you've got it right when it's only almost right. One place you might look for an air pocket is where the line connects to the MC. Try cracking the banjo bolt loose and pump some fluid out that connection.

I had the opposite problem with my clutch a while back. The clutch wouldn't fully engage. Turned out that the slave cylinder piston was hanging up on a ridge that had developed in the cylinder wall. Took a bunch of time with a cylinder hone to get that right again.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
                            Try this, with the engine off, get on the bike put it in first, hold in clutch in and try rolling the bike. You should feel some resistance at first (stuck clutch plates),
                            This! Works... Best part is, I have two motorcycles now! Rode it today, love this bike.

Comment

This! Works... Best part is, I have two motorcycles now! Rode it today, love this bike.
                              Yay!

Comment

Working...
                              X