Dirt in carb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt in carb

Hi all,

Occasionally from start up my Katana will idle low and rough. It does this all the way home. The next day it will be fine. My guess is that dirt or some crap is causing trouble with the idle circuit in one carb. The carbs were cleaned and rebuilt about 2 months ago.

Any tips or ideas? I have been thinking about installing fuel filters, has anyone does this?

Thanks
    '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

The fuel filters will impede fuel flow so much so that the flow will not be enough. The filters will also not filter out the small particles that are giving you issues. You can't cut corners with this. Make sure there is no sediment in your fuel tank.

Comment

In my experience, most "intermittent" issues like you describe (one day fine, next day issues) is spark related. Check your plugs, check your wires, check for arcs (run the bike, gas tank off, low light, look for fireworks... including down in the plug walls), and make sure the last 1" of the plug wire before the plug boot is not hard. If they are, snip it off and screw the boots back on the wire to make a fresh connection.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

While you're in there check voltage on the orange coil wires. If it's low then do the relay mod. Heck, as long as you've got the tank and fairing off just do the relay mod anyway.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will stay away from fuel filters and look for ignition/spark problems.

Wild Bill,
          I found this about coil relay:
          A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Wish I had know about this sooner. I just added relays for the headlight and horn. I still have a open slot on the fuse box I installed and 2 extra relays, so I am good to go with this mod.
          '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

BP sure put together a nice walk-through, didn't he?
            One suggestion on the connectors: Just get rid of the plastic insulator collars. You're going to re-cover them with 1/4" heat shrink anyway so you don't need the bulk and it makes the soldering easier.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
            X