No announcement yet.
X

1988 GSX1100F. Box project.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has a hole in the side and hollow in the middle i have picts of some of the other bolts as well if u need them let me know
    YES I did just kick your car door in for almost killing me.i bet next time you get into your car you will rember to look out for bikes

Comment

I have those bolts. They must be gunked up pretty well though, because I did not notice them being hollow.

Thanks daddijuggalo. You just saved me a ton of money. Those things are $20 at the Suzie store.

Cheers, canuk_guy

Comment

i belive it they told me 799.00 for a cam chain tensinor spring
        YES I did just kick your car door in for almost killing me.i bet next time you get into your car you will rember to look out for bikes

Comment

Heres a pic of all the Valve cover bolts you'll need. I'm sure you can dig em out of the box.

The way the bolts are sitting on the ground is the pattern that they should be reinstalled on the valve cover.
          The washers on the right are installed on the top of the valve cover under the valve cover bolts. THEY ARE DIRECTIONAL. On the washers , feel with your finger, theres a lip there on the inside diameter of the washer. This lip points down into the valve cover when installing.

The hollowed out bolts in the center are called Oil-Union bolts. I caution you to be very careful with these bolts : They break VERY easy and the torque specification in my Hanes manual doesnt seem to be right. I broke one off last year ( see the shiny new one in the pic ? hahah ) Crank em down till it gets starts to get tight, then snug em up with a half turn.

Heres a shot of one of the oil line connector bolts and an O-ring. 2 bolts and one O-ring per line.

Good luck, I'm no Photographer for sure, I took those pics with a GOPRO, wow they are blurry and suck. Its probably the operator
          Last edited by KatKrak; 07-08-2012, 10:24 AM.
          1990 GSXF 1100
          2011 KLR 650

Comment

Thanks for the pics.

Thanks for the pics guys. They were of great help. I have only two bolts that look like that for the oil line. I did order them up though. I knew I was lacking in that style of bolt. Anything that's going to be running oil I'm going to make sure it's sealed up properly.

I did have a few more entertaining things happen. What would a project be without them?

While tightening up the Cylinder Cover I heard a pop and I initially thought I snapped the bolt. I thought, "there's no way it could have snapped, I wasn't even trying to tighten it up," just snug it down. When I pulled it out this is what I found...

Needless to say I wasn't too happy about it. I wasn't even putting any torque to it. I was just snugging the bolts up before tightening them down. I found another one that just spun freely just using the hex finger tightening it.

I left the bolts up and loose so I can easily identify them. Left side front and right side rear. Here's my question. Should a helicoil repair work out alright here? I know the right front one is going to be a ***** to get to unless I pull the motor right out of it. I'm not crazy about doing that. If the consensus is that's what I should do, then, that's what I will do.

Oh, and what size frig'n bolt hole was that? Jeez!! I didn't even think about that until just now.

Suggestions guys?

Cheers, canuk_guy
            Last edited by canuk_guy; 07-09-2012, 11:43 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff

Comment

Looks like someone has already used a helicoil on some of your valve cover bolts. Frankly, I don't see a problem using helicoil again. You don't need a lot of torque on those bolts, just enough pressure to seal the valve cover gasket to the head.

That right side front bolt will probably be a ***** with the frame in the way. Don't forget tho, with the valve cover off you'll have at least 2 extra inches of clearance . I don't think you'll have to drop the motor. Even if you do have to drop it. It's really not that big a deal, not much to it really.

I don't know the size of that bolt hole, but you can take one of the bolts with you when you go shopping; NAPA for example has the tool there and if you ask, they'll measure the bolt, thread pitch, depth etc for you. Maybe someone here knows it off the top of their head.
              Last edited by KatKrak; 07-10-2012, 09:13 AM.
              1990 GSXF 1100
              2011 KLR 650

Comment

Made it to the NAPA parts store. They didn't have a heli-coil kit in stock. Should have it by tomorrow noon'ish. I hope I can pick it up then. Otherwise it will have to wait until Sunday.

Mucking around with it some tonight I found I'm missing an exhaust bolt, the header gaskets that came with the bike are too large for it and I need an oil seal that covers the area where the clutch push rod is.

The joys of buttoning up someone else's project.

I did hang the exhaust system on it, just because I had to do something while I was there. Makes it look like it's almost ready

Ok ... so I'm dreaming a bit. It's a good dream though.

Cheers, canuk_guy

Comment

Best Wishes

Man, I hope you can get that together. You're very ambitious. The key to happiness with that valve cover is to use the sealants, torque specs, and sequence they recommend to the letter. By the way, may I ask what brand and model that front tire is?

Comment

Hey Dr.

The project definitely has its ups and downs. I'm having some downs right now. I'll post more about that in a minute.

The front tire is a Dunlop. It's at least 10 years old. It definitely has to be replaced. I will have to check to see which model it is when I get back to the bike. I will let you know.

Cheers, canuk_guy

Comment

Time to work on the bike.

The Suzuki parts I ordered came in and I picked them up. I also picked up the heli-coil kit the NAPA guys brought in for me. Things are looking up.

Once I pulled the Cylinder Head Cover off another bit of luck. I did not know the stripped bolts are part of the cam caps. Excellent! I can remove the cam caps with the stripped bolt holes and work on them on the bench.

Drilled it out nicely and ran the tap through it. No hurry. Just taking my time trying not to eff up anything. It appeared to be coming along well.

I started to screw in the coil into the tapped out hole. Snapped the first one. Oh well. Take it out. Try a second time. It's a really beech to get it to catch ... snapped the second one. Take out the threading tool and this is what I find ...

Come on! I'm staring at this thinking I don't have that bad of a neanderthal touch. What did I do wrong here to cause this? Can you guys shed some light on this for me. It's been a while since I've put in a heli-coil, but I never had that happen to me before. I try to ring up the NAPA store to get another kit brought in. No joy, as they are closed for the day. Good reason to put it aside for a bit and work on something else.

Might as well put on the Signal Generator Cover, install the Cam Chain Adjuster and an Oil Seal that sits behind the engine drive train sprocket.

It's not pretty right now. The idea is to see if this thing will run. If it will then we'll work on making her pretty. Gen Cover on

Get the adjust put in. Take it apart. Clean off the old gasket. Get the new one ready to go slide the pin down. Get it on there. Put the spring back in and try to get the bolt on. No go. What the heck?? Take it out. Take it apart. Start pondering. Ok ... does the spring look right to you guys?

This spring is tapered and has a cap(?) on the narrow end.

I could use some guidance here. I don't think this is the right spring for the Adjuster Assembly. Checked the repair manual the picture looks to be a regular coil spring. Jumped on the parts fiche and it looks like it should be a regular coil spring. If that's the case, what is it for?

I guess I'm not installing the Cam Chain Adjuster Assembly until I sort this one out.

I pop on the Oil Seal by the engine drive chain sprocket. Yea! Thing #2 completed for the day. What's this here?

I didn't notice this last time. There's another Oil Seal that goes into that there spot just to the left of where the engine drive chain sprocket goes. Sh**! I'll have to order that in. I totally missed it.

That's enough for one day. I have another list of parts I need. I was hoping to have this running by mid-week. Doesn't appear that will be happening.

And the adventure continues ...

Cheers, canuk_guy
                      Last edited by canuk_guy; 07-16-2012, 12:03 AM.

Comment

first mistake you made was using heli coils, they suck donkey nuts and will give you even more problems in the future if you have to remove the valve cover more than 2 or 3 times. you should have used E-Z Lok inserts like this. I used similar on mine. I say similar because I made my own simply by cutting threaded rod to length and drilling/tapping the center.

Shop for E-Z LOK threaded inserts for metal, plastic and wood. E-Z LOK sells through a wide distributor network and offers competitive pricing, low minimums and cost-effective package quantities. Browse our catalog of thread inserts or contact us today!

as for those cam caps....hope you marked where they go because they have to go back to in the same place. you can't mix them up.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mystery Spring

I think your spring is for a master cylinder, clutch or front brake. Are they apart?

Comment

I'm learning things the hard way today. I picked up another heli-coil kit. Managed to get the second try at a coil almost all the way in. Then in bound up again and eff'd up the installation tool.

Mojoe, it looks like I'm going to have to check out those inserts. I'll start searching for a place to buy them up here. The site doesn't give me a Canadian location to source.

The caps already have a stamping on them to indicate where they belong. Thanks for the heads up though. I looked into that before I took them off and had a sharpie available just in case.

Dr. Acula, I think you're right. I looked up the Clutch Master Cylinder and dammed if that doesn't look like the spring in the fiche diagram. Looks like I'm going to have to get a spring for the Cam Chain Adjuster as there isn't anything like that in the parts boxes that came with the bike.

I guess it's off to the parts store tomorrow to check after the bits that I need.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

Cheers, canuk_guy

Comment

Originally posted by canuk_guy View Post
                              Mojoe, it looks like I'm going to have to check out those inserts. I'll start searching for a place to buy them up here. The site doesn't give me a Canadian location to source.
                              trust me, you are much better off with real inserts instead of the heli-coil crap. they are much easier to install, and are a lot more durable. I always had some sort of trouble with heli-coils, but never with the inserts. the inserts are as close to original as you can get.

here is a good description of how they work. if you scroll down you will also see a number to Call in Ottawa. Maybe they can tell you where to buy locally, or ship them to you. You might want to ask at napa as well....they should have them.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Inserts and a Spring

Thanks for the link. I'll call NAPA and see if they have them. I work at a Volkswagen dealership. I'll ask the parts guys as well. They probably get them from NAPA anyways.

I have hit a bit of a bump though. The spring for the Cam Chain Adjuster is not available from Suzuki Canada. Anyone have any ideas. The Adjuster Assembly is available, about $160. Even the gal at the parts counter suggested looking online first. I just got back in from the Suzi store and I'm heading in to work. I'll hopefully will be too busy to brows the internet, but you never know. Suggestions are welcome.

Cheers, canuk_guy

Comment

Working...
                                X