X

Lost interest in my 1991 1100

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost interest in my 1991 1100

I have a '91 1100 that ran until it stopped approx. 10 years ago. Garage stored ever since, I thought I'd get around to fixing her or even putting in a MR. Turbo system, but it just isn't to be.

I have some extra body panels (the upper fairing and maybe one of the lowers?), and the Haynes book as well as the Suzuki shop manual.

I know it had some problems back in the day - popped out of 2nd probably because of a bent shift fork (I'm the second owner and it was like that when I got it, but it only happened when you really got on the throttle). The oil cooler bracket was installed crooked at the factory and resulted in repeat cooler support breakage - needs to be rewelded correctly. The diaphragms were no longer airtight in two carbs, but had been made to work by a shop in El Paso (while on a road trip to Cali!). And one of the mirrors -fell- off while I was going down the highway.

On the good side it has an ignition advancer, a 520 sprocket and chain (prolly needs a new chain), a full stainless Yoshimura exhaust with a race baffle, K&N air filter, stage 3 jet kit, and was once one helluvalotta fun to ride.

I'm trying to figure out if I can move it along as a project bike for someone (my preference), or if parting it out is the only reasonable thing to do. We're not talking about new parts here or anything, but I don't have a clue what the market is like. I'm in Austin, Texas if that makes any difference.

Price?

Comment

can you post pics of the upper and lower fairings?
      Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by tec View Post
        Price?
        Price is part of what I'm trying to get a handle on. I'll try to dig everything out over the next few days and get some pictures up.

I've gotten couple clear votes for parting it out so far, but I'd rather move it out all at once. I feel I'd be happy at $1000 and a clear(er) garage, but I don't know if I'm waaaaay off with that number one way or the other.

Regarding a PM:

I only have the left mirror - the right was loose at the knuckle which sressed the base until it cracked and fell off on the freeway.
        Last edited by affesaft; 06-26-2012, 09:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but a non running bike is a parts bike. Missing some body parts (the hard to find mirror, for example) and worn condition of chain, dried out rubber, all add to a decrease in price.

My book says 400 bux tops. BUT. I've seen 1100's parts bikes around these parts go for 800 up to 1100.

If it were me I'd be putting that godawful strong engine into my 84 pop up Katana and parting the rest.....

I live Utah, north of Salt Lake City, BTW....

Comment

I paid $1200 for a 10k mile 88, small crack near mirror base. Needed tires, fork seals and brake pads.

So a grand for a basket case is sounds great so long as I'm the seller and not the buyer.

Tom

Comment

Mine was 10 years sitting

And the price was free as long as I got it running, or tried to get it running. Working on the trying part right now. Missing some bolts and bits. Since I did not take it apart, the going back together is taking some time. It's a fun puzzle though. Best of luck with it.

Cheers, canuk_guy

Comment

Yea a few hundred tops..
                Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone!

It is my parade and I don't mind a little rain now and again - but I'd say a non-running bike could be a parts bike but it could alternatively be a project bike - I lost the original title, but just went and got a new copy so I have proof of a clean title and easy transfer.

It does make me sad to hear such low numbers, but it really is time to recover the space it is taking up, and I can't argue with the logic that leads to said low numbers.

I've made some progress in the garage, but still have a little ways to go before I can roll her out into the light for pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by affesaft View Post
                    Thanks for the input everyone!

It is my parade and I don't mind a little rain now and again - but I'd say a non-running bike could be a parts bike but it could alternatively be a project bike - I lost the original title, but just went and got a new copy so I have proof of a clean title and easy transfer.

It does make me sad to hear such low numbers, but it really is time to recover the space it is taking up, and I can't argue with the logic that leads to said low numbers.

I've made some progress in the garage, but still have a little ways to go before I can roll her out into the light for pictures.
                    don't let anyone lowball you. the engine alone is worth twice as much as the $400 someone tossed out. ask a grand and settle for $750-800, providing the engine is good and the body is all there and intact. that is whole and sold as a project bike. if you part it out, it will take a bit longer but you can easily get up to $1500 for it. at least $650 for the engine, minimum, $250 for the upper fairing if it is in near perfect shape, $200 for the tank if in perfect shape....$125-150 for the lowers, again in perfect shape. side covers and tail don't bring much...say $100 total. cdi...$100...carbs (don't need to sell with engine...if you do, up the price of the engine) $200...then say another $300-400 for things like brake calipers and rotors, ignition switch and lock set..etc, etc.

if you stick it all on ebay, don't make it an auction type. set a fixed price with a best offer option. upper fairing and gas tanks in good shape are hard to find, as are the lower fairings. 1127's always sell.

best way to part it out is just post a pic of the whole bike intact, with a close up of the part you are listing. this eliminates a pile of parts laying around, and can all be moved by just rolling it where you want it. when a part sells, remove, box it up and ship. it's your best bet for maximum $$.

of course this is all relevant to where you live. here in quebec, I could get $800 easily for what you described. the bike as a whole will go lower in the states, but the parts are just as valuable....which is why you should part it out instead of selling as a project bike, if you really want as much as you can get out of it.

to give you an idea, I personally paid $200 for an upper fairing for the 92 I dumped at the rally. it may have even been $250...can't remember. all I know is that it took me over a year to find one that wasn't all beat to sh*t.....so if your is solid, don't settle for less than $200.
                    Last edited by Mojoe; 07-13-2012, 02:55 PM.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Everything Mojoe said here is correct with the possible exception of the engine. Its true that an 1127 will get snapped up in a heartbeat, however, you said it stopped working 10 years ago and has sat since, so, that being said, a prospective engine buyer will be thinking the engine was blown originally and has sat seizing for 10 years. Your gonna get lowballed bad on that, and rightfully so unless you can detail whats wrong with it.

If you DO have the patience to part it out, sign me up first for the carbs, coils and harness.
                      1990 GSXF 1100
                      2011 KLR 650

Comment

that's right....engine has to be running with no tranny issue and has to have good even compression across all cylinders.

however, if the engine is not running and you do have tranny issues, you can get just as much, sometimes more, by selling the engine components separately. you can EASILY get $200 for the head alone, with valves and cam caps included. IMPORTANT...cam caps HAVE TO be included as they NOT interchangeable. they are line bored and have to remain together, and in same position. cam cap #1 can not be placed in #2 position. presently there are only two 1127 heads on ebay, and the prices are $250 and $300.

you can also easily get $200 for jugs (cylinders) and pistons with rods.

you should be able to get at least $100-125 for the block.

$50-75 for alternator

$50-75 for starter

at least $100-125 for the cams

$50 for the tranny

$50 for the clutch basket.

that's how you get $600+ for a non-running engine. there are still plenty of ol's school suzuki fanatics who race these oil cooled engines, and they all need engine parts from time to time.
                        Last edited by Mojoe; 07-13-2012, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Mojoe, KatKrak - thank you for your time. Sounds like you've dealt with this sort of thing quite a bit. And I couldn't have asked for a more informative reply. Cheers!

Comment

my pleasure...and good luck with the sale.

Comment

If you are parting it, I may be interested in some stuffs. As in I am interested in some stuffs and hope you do want to part it xD

Comment

Working...
                              X