• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoevding View Post
    Its good thinking...
    I've been told i"m good at that.

I think its the rear tire.. Maybe some fabrication issue.. if i set the bike on the senter stand and spin up the rearwheel its looks like the tire wobbles. And last weekend i keep driving in speeds between 140-180 kmh for a longer time. When i slowed down to 60-80 kmh ¨the bike was almost impossible to drive, i had to stop to check if the tire was flat. i put the tire on last year and it has rolled approx. 3000km. New tire is ordered..
    OK i was under the impression that tires were brand new!? I'm sorry that was my VERY first thought, and just assumed that it was previously stated that the tires were new.

yes new tires should have been a first thing to suspect. then the rims, then the chassis.
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
      I've been told i"m good at that.

OK i was under the impression that tires were brand new!? I'm sorry that was my VERY first thought, and just assumed that it was previously stated that the tires were new.

yes new tires should have been a first thing to suspect. then the rims, then the chassis.
      Yep.. I used to get 5-7000 km on the backtire on my old GS1000G. No instability or bugs, it just wear down, plain and simple. But the roads in the "richest country in the world" Norway is getting worse than ever before. Motorcycle tires are worn down in zero time, and its the (left) side on the tires that gets the beating because of the shape of the roads. Mercedes bus factory in Germany have to dismantle suspencionparts from the production line to support a buscompany in Bergen. The factory even send people to Bergen to try to figure out whats the problem. Reason? The terrible roadconditions! We have the western world badest roads. You have to be here to understand it!
      Rune

Comment

1100 carbs

If you give up sell me the carbs

Comment

Originally posted by somerset-cycles View Post
          If you give up sell me the carbs
          It`s a deal...but i live with it. If i drive it fast enough it feels ok. I go for other tires next time, but it`s a BUT! There are no other tires than Metzeler available at the tiredealers here i Nowhere, sorry Norway. I go for ebay next time, theres a lot of brands to choose between. When i bought the bike it was fitted with a Pirelli in front and a Dunlop at the rearend. The reartire was a 160/80-16. The combination was good and steady.

But what`s your problem with the carbs? I`ve just gave mine new floatneedles, mainjets and needles, works well so far but sometimes it "stolls" at 5000 rpm and i have to roll back the trottle a bit and give it a new try.
          Rune

Comment

You have to be here to understand it!
            I live in Quebec, so I don't have to be there to understand it.

as for your problem, providing nothing is torqued like the the frame or forks, and all bearings are good, there are only two things that will make your bike wander, and that's rear wheel alignment, and crappy tires. you wouldn't be running bridgestone battlax would you? they are god awful tires for wandering. with metzeller I can let go of the bars anywhere from 30mph to 130mph, and my bike will track true. put on a battlax and it's all over the place.

also, are you running a matching set of tires? mixing brands can have a funky effect as well.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
              I live in Quebec, so I don't have to be there to understand it.

as for your problem, providing nothing is torqued like the the frame or forks, and all bearings are good, there are only two things that will make your bike wander, and that's rear wheel alignment, and crappy tires. you wouldn't be running bridgestone battlax would you? they are god awful tires for wandering. with metzeller I can let go of the bars anywhere from 30mph to 130mph, and my bike will track true. put on a battlax and it's all over the place.

also, are you running a matching set of tires? mixing brands can have a funky effect as well.
              No im riding the only 16" tires that are available from the tire-pushers here, Metzeler. Lasertech in front and rear. But i suspect the front tire to have some fabrication defect. Anyway, i change it for the next season, i live with it this year. There are lot of other brands on the ebay--
              Rune

Comment

Do the 17" wheel conversion. Then you'll have your pick of modern tires.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

What about the swing arm bushings? Have you tried tugging rearwards on the swingarm with the rear wheel off the ground and chain loose? If the swingarm is getting pulled to the chain side (worn bushings or bearings) then the rear wheel will be out of alignment even if it is aligned with the swingarm. A rear wheel out of alignment due to swing arm problems could cause that problem (I think)...
                  1998 Suzuki GSX750 Katana
                  1980 Suzuki GS450ET
                  1977 Honda XL125

Comment

I changed the swingarmbearings when i restored the bike last winter... all rear end links in good condition

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    Do the 17" wheel conversion. Then you'll have your pick of modern tires.
                    Yep, im planning to do the conversion...

There is nothing more destructing for a conversation than the fact(s).. The front tire is the sinner -no doubt what so ever, unless it`s occultism (i keep it open). There will be a (witch) bonfire next spring, and the guest of honor is Metzeler Lasertec 120/80-16, and i e-mail the images to the factory..

(A friend of mine have exactly the same tire on his 1100EF, and his bike also go bananas when the tire is warmed up. The ironi here is; his house burned down to he ground some time ago, and almost the only thing he saved was the tire he had left at the entrance door..)
                    Last edited by Hoevding; 08-07-2012, 03:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Rune

Comment

The metzeler lasertech is a good tire, if you keep it inflated between 34-36lbs. drop below 34 and it will start cupping. run it at 32lbs and you will be lucky to get a summer out of it.

I know this because metzeler's were pretty much the only tire I ran for about 15 years, and I always had problems with it cupping if I did not stay on top of things and make sure I always ran 36lbs in the front.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                      X