No announcement yet.
X

17" wheels on Kat 1100

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May have the rotor you need for gsxr wheel, what size?

Comment

Ummm... I've got a 5.5" GSXR rear rim. I think it's a 91 but Ron Ayers says the same rotor was used 88-92. It's got a 5-bolt pattern spaced about 67mm apart. (center to center) The Metalgear look-up says the rotor should be 240mm OD, 0 offset and (going from memory here) 5.5mm thick.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I would tend to think that this would cause the speedo to read low, unless yours already has the notorious sportbike problem of reading 10+% high.
        The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

1. the speedo reads off the front wheel. We're talking about the back wheel right now. Gotta keep up!
          2. The speedo error is induced by a difference in the circumference of the front wheel from OEM design. Any tire other than the originals will have some speedo error. Under or over-inflated original tires will have some speedo error. It's not a big deal. That's why cops will generally give you some slack as long as you're pretty close to the speed limit.
          3. Stock tire on an 1100 Kat is 120/80-16. That should make the sidewall height 96mm high. Add that (twice) to the 16" (406mm) rim and you've got the tread at a 598mm diameter. (In truth, that's the diameter of the sidewall. There's too many variables that affect the curve of the tread-and its' rise above the sidewall height-so I'm really just ballparking here.) OK, so let's say you go with a 120/70-17 tire on a Pre-750 rim. 84mm sidewall, 432mm rim gives a 600mm diameter. That's a .3% difference in diameter which, since circumference is pi x diameter translates to a .3% difference in circumference, also and therefore the same .3% difference in speedo readings. As I mentioned, the curve of the tread varies. In general, the wider the tire the flatter the curve. A 120/70 tire will crown out at about the same height from the sidewall as a 110/80. So if I'm reading 100mph on my speedo with 17" rims I may actually be doing 100.3mph. Bummer...
          4. It might be an interesting experiment to take a GPS speed reading before and again after doing a wheel swap.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
            Ummm... I've got a 5.5" GSXR rear rim. I think it's a 91 but Ron Ayers says the same rotor was used 88-92. It's got a 5-bolt pattern spaced about 67mm apart. (center to center) The Metalgear look-up says the rotor should be 240mm OD, 0 offset and (going from memory here) 5.5mm thick.
            No not have that rotor, have a couple of the smaller ones.
            Try bikes2nv.Should have what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by T McCall View Post
              ...Try bikes2nv.Should have what you need.
              Try what at bikes2nv? Judging from their website they sell chrome wheels and seat inserts. Nothing at all about anything like brake rotors. I hate websites that throw a bunch of flashy graphics at you instead of information!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Have bought rotors and wheels there before, seems to be good bunch of guys.Yes , their specialty is chrome exchange now.
                You have to actually ask them if they have what you need, like the good old days.
                I was just trying to help you out.

Comment

Hey, not picking on you. I appreciate the input. If you want to talk real good-ol-days then let's talk walking into a shop or parts yard to talk to folks face-to-face. As soon as I get back in country there's a couple parts yards in Jersey I need to check out. Found them on Flea Bay and turns out they're not far from McGuire.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Most certainly agree.Too easy to hind behind a computer screen it seems.Swore i would never own one or a cell phone but knee deep in in now= $$$$

Comment

Working...
                    X