X

High idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High idle

Does anyone know what could be causing my bike to idle high? When i first start bike, it idles fine at about 700 rpm. after about 15 minutes or so, the idle starts creeping up to about 2000 rpm. i have checked for leaks at the intake boots, took carbs off, set float height back to spec, set air/fuel screws back to spec and replaced diaphrams. Any ideas as to whats going on?

Originally posted by pope View Post
    Does anyone know what could be causing my bike to idle high? When i first start bike, it idles fine at about 700 rpm. after about 15 minutes or so, the idle starts creeping up to about 2000 rpm. i have checked for leaks at the intake boots, took carbs off, set float height back to spec, set air/fuel screws back to spec and replaced diaphrams. Any ideas as to whats going on?

Proper idle should be 1100 rpms. Being as cold engines run poorly lean, and better hot.... this points towards a lean condition for the idle circuit.

You mention you have already checked for leaks, and made adjustments to correct. When you adjusted the A/F screws what did you change (how many turns) and did it make any change to the idle at all?

If NO, it did not ... then you need to clean the idle jets.

krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

When I took carbs off, I reset a/f screws at 2 1/2 turns out, also when I let off throttle, i get some popping out of exhaust, which makees me think I might be a little lean. I have an aftermarket vance & hines pipe, and i still have the stock main jets in the carbs (112.5 and 110) It in running beautifully other than that (ran neck and neck with a 07 gixxer 1000 up through 150mph last night)

By the way, thanks for the info on diaphrams.

Comment

Originally posted by pope View Post
        When I took carbs off, I reset a/f screws at 2 1/2 turns out, also when I let off throttle, i get some popping out of exhaust, which makees me think I might be a little lean. I have an aftermarket vance & hines pipe, and i still have the stock main jets in the carbs (112.5 and 110) It in running beautifully other than that (ran neck and neck with a 07 gixxer 1000 up through 150mph last night)

By the way, thanks for the info on diaphrams.

2 1/2 turns would be starting point for a stock setup. With the aftermarket exhaust, your definately leaning things out. I would increase the A/F screws 1/4 turns at a time and adjust them out (more turns) towards probably 3 or 3 1/4 is where I would guess you will end up.

If turning out the A/F does NOT make any differences, again... you need to clean the pilot jets or tips of the A/F screws.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

im with krey on this one use a bristle from a wire brush on the pilot and worry no more, i had the same problem...
          sigpic "never ride without all the proper gear"

Comment

Working...
          X