X

High Mileage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Mileage

I am looking at A 1100 Kat it has 20,000 miles but is in excellent shape what do you think of the Miles to many ? how many miles will this bike go if taken care of

It's not even broken in yet. Don't know much about the 1100's, but a 750 with regular oil and maintenance can run over 100 000 miles.....no prob.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

my 1100 has over 40k on it .. runs like a champ .
      Scotty Doesn't Know ...Scotty Doesn't Know.. Don't Tell Scotty

Comment

I wouldnt worry about miles as long as the oil is fairly clean, maybe maintainance records. But I have seens lot of even small 200cc bikes with 20k miles still going
        98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home

http://www.ghall1.com/videos/motorcy...C%20VIDEOS.htm

Comment

my 2001 kat 600 has 25,000 miles on it and runs like its brand new. As long as you do regular maintenance on it (at least and oil change when it needs it) it should go over 100,000
          sigpic
          If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

My 06 has over 40K - that big Kat with half the miles will live a long and happy life with just a modest amount of maintenance: oil every 3k, plugs and air filter every year, and valve check/adjustments every 7,500 - 15,000 miles. And yes, I expect to wring at least 100K outta my Kat.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

20k miles is low. a motorcycle is just like a car. if you take care of it properly and dont abuse the crap out of it, it'll last easily 200k. I've seen an F4i that had 177k on it, and still had the same power a brand new one has, it only died because of a crash destroying the cases.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Mojoe has over 200,000kms on one of his 1100's, that's 125,000 miles.
                Kyle

Comment

Just hit 52,000 on my R1... Runs like it did when I bought it...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

i got 25,000 on my 89 1100 kat and it ran good....i got it apart for valve cover gasket and some cosmetics right now
                    bippity-boppity- BACON

"Chatbox slayer..."

Comment

20,000 is nothing
                      01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                        I'm pretty sure Mojoe has over 200,000kms on one of his 1100's, that's 125,000 miles.
                        a bit over 220,000 is about what it had. so more like 135k miles.

and I beat the snot out of it starting around 75-80k miles. I didn't even change the oil after 100k, seeing as it was burning it up too fast to bother changing it.

20k miles....that's nothing, usually. but then again, all it takes is some idiot to run it almost dry on oil for a few hundred miles, and that 20k miles just might as well be 100k miles.

Originally posted by bobthebiker View Post
                        20k miles is low. a motorcycle is just like a car. if you take care of it properly and dont abuse the crap out of it, it'll last easily 200k. I've seen an F4i that had 177k on it, and still had the same power a brand new one has, it only died because of a crash destroying the cases.
                        200k miles is reaching. It certainly won't happen "easily", as you put it...unless you ride like that famous little old lady from Pasadena.
                        and if it does make it that far, it certainly will not have the same power band.
                        rings wear....and so do bearings. valves take a lickin' too after that amount of miles.

It can do it, but 9 times out of 10 you will at least need a ring job and some upper engine work by then.
                        Last edited by Mojoe; 12-30-2009, 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

there have been some riders with 200+k miles on 900RRs, and an R1 or two with 250k+ that still ran like new. normal daily riding, just good maintenance.

Comment

my 92 has 33000 on it, I put 10000 on it in 21/2 months!

Comment

as long as you do the work to keep it up, it'll run as long as you need it to. I've got 21,xxx and climbing (10,xxx are mine) this year I'm doing the chain and sprockets (conv to 520) ... will prolley be due for a rear tire by the end of this coming season. I'm looking to get into 6 digits with this one. I've had bike that I've sold that have had 50,000+ miles and they ran real strong, and that's on simple routine up-keep. I would also suggest listening to the engine closely after she's warmed up.
                              The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
                              X