X

1100 rear shock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 rear shock

Has anyone hear replaced their rear shock with one from a different bike? I need to replace mine and am looking for ideas...

I have a 1100 shock for sale
    Chrome Project Part 1
    http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

E bay

Originally posted by weebl View Post
      Has anyone hear replaced their rear shock with one from a different bike? I need to replace mine and am looking for ideas...

Comment

best bang for your buck is to have the old stock one rebuilt. it can be done in a way that will rival ohlens. last time I checked the person my local dealer farms them out to charges between $100-125.00
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yes I swapped a shock from a 1993 GSXR 750 on my 1988 Kat 1100. Later model Kats have shock that has a removable clevis and this can be swapped onto another suzuki shock that has the same style clevis. This should give you the correct shock length. In my case I did not have a removable clevis so I had one made to the length i needed, there is a picture in my garage. I paid $30.00 for the shock off ebay and it works great. Stick with the older bikes if you want to try it.
          01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Originally posted by TheHayabusa View Post
            Yes I swapped a shock from a 1993 GSXR 750 on my 1988 Kat 1100. Later model Kats have shock that has a removable clevis and this can be swapped onto another suzuki shock that has the same style clevis. This should give you the correct shock length. In my case I did not have a removable clevis so I had one made to the length i needed, there is a picture in my garage. I paid $30.00 for the shock off ebay and it works great. Stick with the older bikes if you want to try it.
            Not entirely true, The clevis can be the same length but if the shaft is longer you will have a longer shock center to center.

Example: 92 GSXR shock has the same clevis length but is about 1.5" longer, 08 GSXR shock has same clevis length but is about .75" longer than a stock 06 kat 750.

Tmod
            Last edited by Tmod; 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I looked up the Ohlins replacement shock to get the measurements:

340mm eye to eye
              61mm stroke

So my GSX-R1100 shock will fit, just a little bit shorter but with more travel.

Mojoe- where did you get yours rebuilt?

Comment

Weebl what is wrong with the shock .... I mean we just picked up the damn bike 2 week ago and you haven't seen it since ....

He He He ... got an extra headlight if you need it (and you do) ...

Ohh and what about the 600 shock we worked on for the gsxr1100 ..... just bang it in and be done with it
                Last edited by rikeran; 09-01-2009, 04:10 PM.
                Scotty Doesn't Know ...Scotty Doesn't Know.. Don't Tell Scotty

Comment

theres one on ebay for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                    Not entirely true, The clevis can be the same length but if the shaft is longer you will have a longer shock center to center.

Example: 92 GSXR shock has the same clevis length but is about 1.5" longer, 08 GSXR shock has same clevis length but is about .75" longer than a stock 06 kat 750.

Tmod
                    I guess I inadvertantly avoided the whole problem by fabricating a clevis to the exact length I needed.
                    01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Working...
                    X