X

visual clues of an 1100 engine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visual clues of an 1100 engine

I'm new here and first off, this is my official Hello!
    I've ridden a 80 gs 850 G for a couple of years but have been bikeless for about 2 years now. I'm looking at getting into an 1100 katana for its power and more comfortable ride position over other fairing bikes. I have to admit, when I heard they had a power windshield I thought that was pretty neat too.

Ok so here's my question. I've been browsing the net for a bike for a little bit now, and I came across an 1100 kat with a 750 motor in it. I've also heard people use the 1100 motors for drag/project use so there are probably a good number of bikes who have had a heart transplant.
    With the farings on when I go to look at a bike to buy, is it possible to see if the motor is an 1100 or a XXX cc engine just by looking at it? I'm not familiar with motorcycle engine designs really, so it would be a little different than telling a small block chevy from a big block chevy engine by header tube placement, you know? I dont want to get duped and end up with something less than a 1100 motor in her.

Thanks for any tips guys!
    Brad

On the bottom edge of the cylinders, on one side, it will have a number that will be the displacement of the engine. (599, 748, 749, 1052, etc...)
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

ok cool, thanks for the tip.
      Can this number be seen with the fairing on, or should I ask him to remove it?

Thanks,
      Brad

Comment

Hi, first of all.

Maybe this is just ridiculous- but you ought to be able to tell the difference by running it up and down the road a few times.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
        -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Not all 749cc engines are marked but all 1127cc engines should be

The positioning of the cc block can vary some are directly in front of the engine number on the right rear of the block while some are on the sides of the block near the base gasket

A (not messed with) engine number can be a guide to the cc as well as the age of the engine there are a number of websites where you can look up this info & a guide in some manuals

tone
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

thanks guys for the tips.

Another friend told me about that, just drive it, you'll tell.

Well, maybe to someone who rides a bike all the time. But in all honesty, I got on a 750 kaw spectre and it felt quick....so I'm not goin to trust my butt dyno alone. Its not been in recent use for bikes :P

Comment

Welcome to KR! This site is awesome
              "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Thats what i had before the big Kat,, boy are you in for a treat.

Originally posted by hustler View Post
                thanks guys for the tips.

Another friend told me about that, just drive it, you'll tell.

Well, maybe to someone who rides a bike all the time. But in all honesty, I got on a 750 kaw spectre and it felt quick....so I'm not goin to trust my butt dyno alone. Its not been in recent use for bikes :P

Comment

Aren't the 1100's only 5spd?

I know my cousin had a bandit 600 and was told it was the 1200... (His father, swore it was the fastest thing he's ever ridden ) I rode it once and said no way is it a B12...

Funny thing was that he had an extra parts bike in the garage which in fact had the B12 sitting in it... I took one look at the transmission and it indicated only 5 speeds when the 600 had 6... I had to point that out to them before they believed that they were riding a 600...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Is the motor grey or black ?If its grey it a GSXR motor and probably a 750.A black 750 Katana motor will have a dot cast on the side block about the size if a dime.A Gsxr 750 motor will have the dot if its a 88-90 as the dot's on both heads indicate a "Slingshot" head.

Comment

Working...
                    X