X

rebuilt forks have a question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuilt forks have a question

Hey all. I have been getting the good ol kat ready for the warmer weather, and today me and my friend rebuilt the forks, because both seals were leaking. Went without a hitch, but I have a couple of questions that hopefully can be answered. When I say rebuilt,i replaced the seal, dust seal, and new fluid, I used AMSOIL 10 weight shock thearpy fluid. (worked great on my 750) The front end is now MUCH stiffer and i mean much stiffer then before. With the adjusters on the top, the more you screw it in=? Tighter or looser suspension? Right now, I have them both at 4 lines showing. Also, are the factory springs progressive springs, because as you go farther down the spring, the coils get closer together. Thank you all in advance, without this forum, I would have gotten nowhere!!
    craig
    1996 katana 750 (sold to my friend)
    1990 katana 1100

I have 1990 1100 that I bought brand new a I think it is a great bike.
    The owners manual states that turning the adjuster clockwise will increase preload and counter clockwise will decrease preload, it also states that 4 is the factory setting. The repair manual states the springs are installed with the smaller pitch on the top. Hope this helps you out.

Comment

Shouldn't matter where the tighter coils go, top or bottom. How easy was it to replace the top cap of the fork? If it was pretty easy then maybe a clogged up oil port?
      If the screw is preload then back it out all the way and if they are still stiff you have something blocking the oil.

Comment

Alright thanks!! Ill give it a try today since we have 8 inches of snow and I have nothing better to do!
        craig
        1996 katana 750 (sold to my friend)
        1990 katana 1100

Comment

Working...
        X