X

Corbin reupholster?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corbin reupholster?

Anyone sent their Corbin seat in to have it reupholstered? As you can see I need to have it redone, and the local shop wanted $250 to recover it. The Corbin site states it's 75% of new cost to have it done.
    I was hoping someone had some real world experience with this. Thanks for the help.
    mindfungus
    sigpic
    1992 Katana 1100F
    "many an evil butt await my boot print!"

Send it in. Corbin will do a great job. Did my buddies old seat. just like new. I believe they replaced the padding too. Corbin has great service. Give em a call.

Corbin stands behind their work and they will probably be able to do it the best, being that it is their seat.
    2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
    BMC Notorious 918 HT
    2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by mindfungus View Post
      The Corbin site states it's 75% of new cost to have it done.
      Screw that . Duct tape is cheap . I only PARTLY kidding ......
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah, I will do the black tape thing till I can get it repaired. Thinking about picking up a stock seat on ebay, then sending this one out to be re-covered.
        I just wish there was a cheaper option.

mindfungus
        Last edited by mindfungus; 02-25-2009, 12:12 PM.
        mindfungus
        sigpic
        1992 Katana 1100F

Comment

Yeah, I will do the black tape thing till I can get it repaired. Thinking about picking up a stock seat on ebay, then sending this one out to be re-covered.
          I just wish there was a cheaper option.

mindfungus
          Cheaper option is to use the padding and base you have, and recover it yourself. Even if you don't have any tools to start with, you can pick all you need to do it for under $40 locally.

And it's not hard to do at all.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I've recovered a couple of seats in the past, but they were stock seats. This Corbin has such a radical shape and deep dishing of the foam, I don't think I can recover it all that easy. I don't think I would even get the material to stretch or conform to the contours of the Corbin.
            If you have any experience or tips to the contrary I would love to hear them. I am open to any options to save a buck.

mindfungus
            mindfungus
            sigpic
            1992 Katana 1100F

Comment

I've recovered a couple of seats in the past, but they were stock seats. This Corbin has such a radical shape and deep dishing of the foam, I don't think I can recover it all that easy. I don't think I would even get the material to stretch or conform to the contours of the Corbin.
              If you have any experience or tips to the contrary I would love to hear them. I am open to any options to save a buck.

mindfungus
              What I would do...

1. remove old seat cover
              2. using a seam ripper, seperate the individual pieces
              3. using the old pieces as masters, cut out new pieces from what ever material you choose (marine grade, or leather)
              4. sew the new pieces together (industrial sewing machine or by hand using a leather sewing kit)
              5. Install the newly made shaped seat cover.

Keep the old seat pieces, that way you have the patterns to make another down the road if you need.

My bro-in-law does custom upholstry for hot rods. This is how he makes it simple when they are wanting a mostly stock look.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                What I would do...

1. remove old seat cover
                2. using a seam ripper, seperate the individual pieces
                3. using the old pieces as masters, cut out new pieces from what ever material you choose (marine grade, or leather)
                4. sew the new pieces together (industrial sewing machine or by hand using a leather sewing kit)
                5. Install the newly made shaped seat cover.

Keep the old seat pieces, that way you have the patterns to make another down the road if you need.

My bro-in-law does custom upholstry for hot rods. This is how he makes it simple when they are wanting a mostly stock look.

Krey

I have done this in the past as well.

Comment

I suppose that I could try. Ive used that technique in the past. I'm just leary of destroying a $400 seat in the process. lol
                  mindfungus
                  sigpic
                  1992 Katana 1100F

Comment

I suppose that I could try. Ive used that technique in the past. I'm just leary of destroying a $400 seat in the process. lol
                    Think of it this way, if you do destroy it, you're onl spending 25% more for a new one than if you sent it in for recover. And you can get a discount if you order through CP.
                    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                    -Terence

Comment

Actually, you should end up with no damage to the seat base or foam. I'm betting if you shipped it without the cover you still could get it recovered for the same price as if you shipped it with the cover all torn up like it is now.

So the only real loss would be a little time and the small investment to try it.

krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Fair enough, you've convinced me to try.
                        I'll have to get a seat off eBay so I have something to ride, then I'll try my hand at recovering this one. I may see about reshaping the passenger area to eliminate it and just taper it into the body. Will have to look at inlaying a gel pad as well.
                        mindfungus
                        sigpic
                        1992 Katana 1100F

Comment

Working...
                        X