X

Stock 52T vs 47T v2 43T

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock 52T vs 47T v2 43T

I've come to the point where i need to get a new chain and sprockets. I've heard of people going with a slightly smaller rear to get a smoother highway cruise rpm. Just want to ask guy's with some experience in doing this what you feel works best.

I do find myself usually looking for a 6th gear on my Kat when it comes to highway speeds. I also find the first gear to be relatively useless for in city driving. The RPM's get up too fast and you end up gearing into 2nd almost immediately.

I searched some of the older posts but really didn't find the answers I was looking for.

1) what kind of difference would I see in the bike general performance with these two different Sprocket options?

2) I'd assume a 530 conversion would make the switch much easier from a parts perspective.

With sprockets you often can find any size front and rear for your bike so the sky is the limit.

If your looking to make a dramatic change thats when you want to mess with the front sprocket gearing. 1 tooth +/- in the front equals 3+/- in the rear depending on if your gearing up or down. Adding or taking away teeth in the back is for smaller changes.

With the situation your describing I would leave the rear stock and just go up a tooth on the front. 530 chains are REALLY common and came on every bike I have had. Look at cyber poets website at www.motorcycleanchor.com and he has a a great write up on changing sprockets plus he has an RPM calculator.
    The way changing gearing works if you take away teeth from the rear rpm ranges for each gear go down if you add teeth its the opposite. For the front if you add teeth the rpm ranges for each gear to down and if you take away teeth its like adding teeth to the rear.

But I would go up one tooth in the front and it will probably bring your RPM down 1000-1500 RPM in 6th gear.

Comment

Chiming in

Fellows: You are talking about the Kat 1100 final drive sprockets correct? Since when has the factory 5 speed transmission turned in to a fantasy 6 speed ?? Can we get the facts ironed out as to not spread misinformation. TY.

Originally posted by Daemontrym View Post
      But I would go up one tooth in the front and it will probably bring your RPM down 1000-1500 RPM in 6th gear.

Comment

Originally posted by SupRnatural View Post
        Fellows: You are talking about the Kat 1100 final drive sprockets correct? Since when has the factory 5 speed transmission turned in to a fantasy 6 speed ?? Can we get the facts ironed out as to not spread misinformation. TY.
        Uh that would be "fellow" I'm well aware my Kat only has 5 gears which is why I stated I'm always looking for a 6th gear. I'm sure the poster above you, who actually contributed something intelligent to this thread, made a simple typo regarding the gears.

Comment

I don't have a Kat 1100 I was just helping a man out about sprocket changes and telling him what I know.

I ride a honda vfr750

Comment

I ride a honda vfr750
            Get the f**k out!

There must be something with the people here, because even when members move on to other bikes, they all stick around here. I don't know if it's because we're so nice, or because we tend to drive away the a*sholes so quickly.....
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I replaced my sprockets & chain last year.

I went with a 50t rear & a 15t(stock) up front. I also put on a 530 XSO X-Ring Drive Chain. The mistake I made on the chain was that I got a 120 link, it took a little work but I got it on. I checked the chain for alignment throughout this past year, I haven't had to do an adjustment yet.

At times I wish I had gone with a 47t when I'm on the highways just because it would lower the rpms at those speeds but since I do a lot more riding on the back roads I find the 50t to be okay, most corners I don't even need to down shift.

My mpg has increased by about 6mpg, of course I don't go out & ride my Kat like I'm road racing, I tend to enjoy the ride & open it up on the highways in the straightaways.

Six gears on our Kats? Don't we wish.
              I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

That's . I like VFRs. With a good exhaust they sound nasty.

I don't have a Kat 1100 I was just helping a man out about sprocket changes and telling him what I know.

I ride a honda vfr750

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1100FL View Post
                  I replaced my sprockets & chain last year.

I went with a 50t rear & a 15t(stock) up front. I also put on a 530 XSO X-Ring Drive Chain. The mistake I made on the chain was that I got a 120 link, it took a little work but I got it on. I checked the chain for alignment throughout this past year, I haven't had to do an adjustment yet.

At times I wish I had gone with a 47t when I'm on the highways just because it would lower the rpms at those speeds but since I do a lot more riding on the back roads I find the 50t to be okay, most corners I don't even need to down shift.

My mpg has increased by about 6mpg, of course I don't go out & ride my Kat like I'm road racing, I tend to enjoy the ride & open it up on the highways in the straightaways.

Six gears on our Kats? Don't we wish.
                  Thank you. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I have really been leaning toward a 47T on the back but wanted some guy's with first hand knowledge to chime in.

Comment

I love my VFR so far

I wanted to rid myself of a high payment and insurance with my R6 and got a great deal on one in almost perfect condition.

Comment

I've heard that the 6 speed tranny from some of the GSXR750's can be made to fit the 1100 without too terribly much trouble. I had a friend that put that tranny into his RF900R and was trying to sell me on the idea of trying it with my 1100.
                      The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by vcrmax View Post
                        Thank you. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I have really been leaning toward a 47T on the back but wanted some guy's with first hand knowledge to chime in.

If you go with the 47t take mental notes of the difference in the rpms between that & the 52t, if I'm right your rpms should be near 4500rpm at 70mph - 112.65km. With the 50t on mine, the rpms dropped about 300, so I'm guessing with the 47t your rpms might drop 600rpm,,?

Let us know.

Comment

Did you notice any real difference in the way your bike felt in 1st gear. Granted you only went 2 teeth smaller but just curious. I'm pretty comfortable with what the smaller sprocket will do at highwat speeds. I'm just not sure how it willl affect the bike in 1st gear.

Comment

I can't say there is a difference. The bike seems just as responsive as before. If there is a drop in performance it is very slight.

Comment

I have a 14t front and 48t rear. It is slightly taller, makes for smoother cruising.

Comment

Working...
                              X