Hard Bags?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Bags?

Hey All!

I just got my first Kat, a 1988 GSX1100F. Only one short ride so far but I already know this bike and I are going be be good friends for a while. It's very nice for it's age and still tight almost all the way around. Nice.

Question: Some of my first research into the history of this model year indicates that it was offered with a factory option of Krauser hard bags.

I have done some looking around, but have not yet discovered anyplace offering hardbags or even a tail-trunk for this old touring rocket.

Can anyone clue me in with regard to availability of hard luggage for this bike?

I do have a set of soft saddle bags that worked great for the previous owner, but would bolt on hard bags in a minute if I could find some that work well.

Help???
    1988 GSX1100F - Stone Stock

I have a 3pc givi luggage set that came stock on my 92. They will be going to the highest bidder very shortly.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
      I have a 3pc givi luggage set that came stock on my 92. They will be going to the highest bidder very shortly.

Mike, are you selling your Kat, or just tired of the bags?
      -
      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

BillKat, what do you imagine the high bid will be?I know when I bought my new 1100 back in 93 those bags were too much for me, so I put the Krausers on from my last bike.

Comment

Originally posted by albion2 View Post
          BillKat, what do you imagine the high bid will be?I know when I bought my new 1100 back in 93 those bags were too much for me, so I put the Krausers on from my last bike.
          I can tell you that about 10 years ago I went to the dealers to see what my luggage was worth. It was $350 for the rack, and about $225 for each case. that is a bit over a grand. I have no idea what it is worth today, new. sometimes prices go down, sometimes they go up. I don't have a clue what it did.

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
          Mike, are you selling your Kat, or just tired of the bags?
          well, the only running kat I have now (aside from my ol' skool 80's models), is the 88 I just picked up a few weeks ago. My 92 and 93 have since been parted out. I was going to put the 88 on the road, but decided that it too will be parted out, eventually. But even when I was running my 93, I only had the rack installed the first 2 years, and haven't used it for the last 4-5 years.
          It is just collecting dust now, and I don't foresee ever installing it again.

it's a nice rack. holds the two sidecases and the topcase. it mounts at the bottom where the exhaust cannister is, and on the top where the signals bolt on. the rack has integrated signals.

what would I ask for it? well, the cases are not new. they are not all scuffed up or anything, but they are 16 years old. no cracks or anything like that....just a bit faded maybe, and the stickers are sort of worn, but this is superficial. if I was to keep them, I would paint them the same color as the bike. I can say this....the new racks suck in comparison when it comes to quality/strength. I dropped my bike one (on grass) with the luggage installed, and it held the bike up with no problem. not so sure the new ones would do it without bending. they are noting but small tubes.

on www.twistedthrottle.com , they list the rack for the v-strom at $200, and it looks kinda cheap and flimsy, imo.

the cases vary in price. mine are $175 each and look like this. I have 3 of them.

Last edited by Mojoe; 08-27-2008, 10:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you can't get hard bags, and are interested in soft ones, I've bought some (these ones) from here:

eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.

(online store: http://www.motopakluggage.com/)

And they are great, better than anything I've seen in the local stores, cheaper too, and were at my door within 2 days.

I was looking for bags large enough to carry spare helmets, and these are more than large enough.

They were on the bike for most of last summer, I just used a small cable lock to keep them a tiny bit safer (combined with my alarm) and never parking her in obscure places.

I've considered getting a tank bag, and when I do get one, I'll probably get it from here.
            JPG
            1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

Mojoe: the 3pc with rack that you are about to make available sounds quite fine. The rack mount does look dang solid and the luggage will not ugly up the bike at all when being used.

Imfallen: Thanks for the feedback. Your bags do look functional, but I do already have a set of soft luggage (including tank bag) that, while not quite as uptown looking as yours, do work fine even for long hauling which the previous owner did to some extent. I'm more of a hard case type though for the long trekking.

Mojoe: When is this indicating bidding going to start? Are you going to do it on the open forum or would you prefer to have the bids via private message. Let me know as I am completely interested and will bid.

Comment

Originally posted by BillKat View Post
                Mojoe: When is this indicating bidding going to start? Are you going to do it on the open forum or would you prefer to have the bids via private message. Let me know as I am completely interested and will bid.
                well Bill.....I usually conduct my business in two ways. parts like fairings, tanks, pegs....whatever I consider to be "replacement parts" for those who had something break and in need of a replacement, I try to set one price that I consider to be fair for both myself and the person in need of said part.

other parts that I consider to be "add-ons", such as a corbin seat, after-market exhaust, and luggage.....well, these are a bit harder to find and I consider them my "golden parts"......so I usually let folks fight it out on Ebay.

in the next week or two there will be an used 4:1 Yosh exhaust and the luggage going up for bidding on Ebay. When I do this, I always make an announcement here in the 1100 section, so just keep watch.

Comment

Thanks Mojoe!

I'll watch here for that "gold" to be placed up for grabs and get into the fray!

Comment

Working...
                  X