X

Retractable windshield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retractable windshield

Do all of the 1100's come with a retractable windshield? Can anyone show me an up close and personal pic of their windshield set up? I like how it goes up and down and want to modify one.

Yes, all 1100s, 1988 - 1994 shields are motorized.

Modify one?
    Are you meaning to put one on a 600 or 750?
    I'm sure it can be done, I'm guessing you'll need the sub-frame & everything else from an 1100.

I don't have mine apart to takes photos of, sorry.
    Last edited by GSX1100FL; 08-23-2008, 05:49 PM. Reason: additional info.
    I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

I'm not going to do much more to the bike. I saw this in my Haynes manual and am really considering modifying one to fit my bike. But I need to see on installed on an 1100 before I start to hack up the windshield mechanism. I need to see the frame connections. I can care less about my windshield, I already repaired it once. That will be my prototype.

Comment

Try downloading the PDF manual for the Katana 1100 that is a sticky at the top of this forum. It has a section (Section 7-3) on the windshield mechanism that you can check out. I recently had mine apart and replaced the windscreen itself and lubed the plastic chain, I'll attach a couple of photos that I took while it was apart, but they are quite small. You would need the fairing subframe from an 1100. It's set up a lot differently that the 600/750 windshields. I can't see it going on there very easily, but to each his own. Good luck!

Cheers!

Jollidude
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jollidude; 08-24-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Yes they are different but it can be done. I have been watching a set up on ebay but there are some parts missing. For the price this guy is selling it for most of it is there but I really don't want to peace meal this together. That is why I needed to see one on a bike. So the search continues. Thanks.

Comment

I wish I could just have a plain ole' windscreen on mine, if your were close, I'd trade ya I can say that is the one thing I could do without on the big Kat.
            1990 Big Kat 1100 "AKA" The Dirty Rocket

Comment

I can tell ya now.....it isn't worth the effort. you have one MAJOR hurdle to overcome, and that is the 1100 windscreen assy meshing with your stock fairings. it just won't happen. you will be left with a messy looking setup. I have a spare assy and have tried to see if it would mesh with various bikes that passed through my hands, and nothing even comes close. it would require not only cutting/welding the screen assy, but the fairings as well.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

As I looked at the set ups on other bikes, no, I won't cut up my fairings. Maybe some day when I get bored then I might. If I want one that bad, I'll just buy an 1100. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Are there any sources for windscreens in colors for a Big Kat???

Comment

Originally posted by SupRnatural View Post
                    Are there any sources for windscreens in colors for a Big Kat???

http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail...2D%609813Stock
                    1990 Big Kat 1100 "AKA" The Dirty Rocket

Comment

Thanks..

Comment

Working...
                      X