bought a Kat......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought a Kat......

bike is a 1991 1100, but the engine year is 1988

My first Katana- and it looks really nice. However, it doesnt run. Things Ive checked so far-

spark at the plugs-yes
    fuel-yes
    compression-yes

the engine will crank over, but it wont try to start at all-no pops, stumbles, nothing. Im thinking cam timing, as the previous owner (auto mech) just put a top end in it. My question is this: how do I check cam timing?

one other thought occured to me- could it be that he got the coil/plug wires in the wrong order? Is there any pics of this done correctly? Ive been searching the site for a while and couldnt really find anything definitive, so Im turning this over to the pros. Please help, I want to ride!
    also, i noticed the plugwires are numbered, they appear to be correct, as long as #1 cylinder is on the left side of the bike as you're sitting on it
    Last edited by Simpson; 08-22-2008, 05:53 PM. Reason: be nice for ya to know what bike it was

^^ , here's a complete manual for your bike for free. Here ya go ....

http://webpages.charter.net/danp2630...20complete.pdf

all you gotta do is download it. It is safe, I did it myself.
    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

thanks, ive been looking at that. I was going through my extra parts that came with the bike, and noticed a different signal generator and rotor. the pickup that is in the bike now has one magnetic contact, and the rotor appears to have 3 tabs at 90 degrees apart, and a large block protrusion with 2 holes in it. (if that made any sense)
      the "extra" pickup has 2 magetic contacts 180 degrees apart, and the other rotor has just one large block with a hole in it. I have pics, still trying to post them. which pickup/rotor combo is for my bike?

Comment

heres pics (hopefully) ignition 1 is the one that came on the bike, ignition 2 is the extra stuff
        Attached Files

Comment

Those pictures must be huge, they were taking forever to come up. From what I can tell, the one with 3 tabs is the right one and "Ignition 1" is the one that goes on the bike.

When's the last ime the bike ran ?

Has it run since the engine swap ?

Check the diagram in the manual, it should show you what it should look like.
          Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 08-22-2008, 08:26 PM.
          The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

it has not run since the swap. I just got back from the PO's house, he said that the 3 tab rotor is an aftermarket Vance and Hines that needs the matching CDI box in order for the timing to be right. He said if I order the stock rotor from the dealer, it will correct the timing. Also, he said the only thing the bike would do is pop out of the carbs. I dont know how to tell if what he is telling me is right, but he seems to be on the level. I am going to search for a pic of the stock rotor (unless somebody would like to post one) and compare the two.
            Additionally, the cam timing seems to be right on the money, with every indicator lining up where it should, or awfully close.

Comment

it has not run since the swap. I just got back from the PO's house, he said that the 3 tab rotor is an aftermarket Vance and Hines that needs the matching CDI box in order for the timing to be right
              How far advanced is it ? A lot of people on this site run with a 5 degree advance with no further mods needed, myself included. I would get the stock advancer, change or clean up the plugs, and take one more look through the carbs.
              Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

it runs zero advance(stock) and I will check plugs and carbs, and post when I know something further. Thanks for the advice, its appreciated

Comment

on a somewhat related note, I discovered that my clutch push rod isnt complete. I have an approximately 6 inch long steel rod and the clutch basket end, but nothing to go through the left side (near the front sprocket) and into the hydraulics. I looked at the manual, but the picture quality is terrible, does anyone have a pic of that end? Or all 3 pieces? And can anyone sell me the piece I need? Any info on this would be appreciated

thanks for lookin'

Comment

well, cam timing is officially ruled out, its been quintuple checked and is set according to specs. Plug wires are on the right plug. Both coils have orange wires going to them, if they get switched, could that affect timing and cause the backfire out of the carbs?

also, the rotor I have on the bike is a 5 degree advanced. I really cant figure this out, it should run- fuel, air, compression, ignition, timing. Pretty simple

still sounds to me like timing is out of whack, but everything checks out. another possiblity ive thought of is perhaps I have the incorrect CDI box on the bike. I will post the numbers from the box and maybe somebody can help me check that
                    Last edited by Simpson; 08-24-2008, 01:56 PM.

Comment

ok, so I got ahold of a much better compression tester and retested- 90-95 psi on all 4, yikes. So did the oil in the spark plug hole thing and compression jumped up to an average of 150 psi. Looks like Ill be tearing the motor apart. Also, Im paying the PO a visit, as he garunteed me it would run with minimal work

Comment

Originally posted by Simpson View Post
                        ok, so I got ahold of a much better compression tester and retested- 90-95 psi on all 4, yikes. So did the oil in the spark plug hole thing and compression jumped up to an average of 150 psi. Looks like Ill be tearing the motor apart. Also, Im paying the PO a visit, as he garunteed me it would run with minimal work
                        Well, I hate to put it out there like this but you just got "got". There is a pretty good chance that the PO had no idea what the condition really was. Also, unless he is willing to give you your money back (which I doubt), you've got a new project. The up side is your in a good place to get good advice and help. Another up side is as long as your inside the engine, you can create a monster. The 1127 is a great project motor.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you and I'll do what I can.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

im going back over to the POs house to find out how good his "gay-run-tee" is, and if he'll pay for parts. I'll let you know. By the way, where can I get an affordable set of decent quality rings aside from the dealership?

Comment

Originally posted by Simpson View Post
                            im going back over to the POs house to find out how good his "gay-run-tee" is, and if he'll pay for parts. I'll let you know. By the way, where can I get an affordable set of decent quality rings aside from the dealership?
                            If I were you, as long as you have to go in there anyway, I would look into a boring it to the next size up. That's just me, though. As far as getting the PO to pay for anything .... good luck with that.

found this for you ....

Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 08-25-2008, 08:23 PM.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

awesome info, I see an overbore in my future . I am starting to tear down the engine right after I eat my grilled cheese and tomato soup. Head should be off tonite to see if its been overbored yet, and I will post results.

Comment

Working...
                              X