X

472 Mile Saturday Ride!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 472 Mile Saturday Ride!

Well my buddy and I thought we'd go and explore some of the finer mountain roads here in BC. We packed up the bikes and headed out close to 9:00AM on Sat. We decided we'd keep it simple up to Hope and just stay on the main highway. Once we got to Hope we hopped on the #1 and took it trough the canyon all the way up to Lytton. The highway was pretty good with some decent twisties and light traffic to that point.

In Lytton we had heard about this crazy guy that has a bunch of sculptures in his yard. We managed to find the place and find that above his gate as you enter the yard is a 30' long Winchester Rifle. The gate itself is a huge bow knife. Looked really cool but I forgot to get a picture. Once you enter the yard the first thing you notice are three motorcycles along the driveway. As you get closer you realize that they are bloody huge! The detail in these bikes was unbelievable! right down to the starter placement and plug wires!

The guy had sculptures of all types but the coolest thing was reading all the signs around the property. Every sculpture had a saying. Here is his Tax Rack Sculture and sign.

He had a sculpture for everything including two old satalite dishes that had been converted to....well you know. I'll keep the post SFW
    He had a little church with a grave yard beside it. All the headstones had funny sayings on them. You can see them in the pic I took of the scenery.

After we left Lytton we stopped in at a pub near Spences Bridge. Had a great lunch and a chance to cool off. Excited a few of the local girls as Terry and I stripped out of our riding gear down to shorts and t-shirts.
    Once we left Spences Bridge we headed down Hwy #8 to Merritt. What a phenominal section of road that is. WOW is all I can say. According to my GPS we Averaged 105.1kph (65 mph) when the majority of the ride was 40 kph (25mph) corners. Needless to say we got full use of our tires yesterday.

After we gassed up in Merritt we headed to Hwy 5A. Again a very nice hwy but not as good as the #8. We pretty much drove right through Princeton and headed to Manning Park. Very nice highway with some excellent turns. Good thing we had the radar going though because we picked up a few cops in the park. Thanks to some good riders going the other way we were able to avoid a nicely hidden laser radar trap as well.
    After passing through Manning Park we headed back to Hope where we gassed up and contemplated taking the twisty back roads home to Vancouver. After 600+ Kms (375 miles) my *** was starting to feel like the prettiest boy in prison so we decided on a leisurely cruise home on the highway.

At the end of the day we got home at 6:30PM and covered a total of 761km's (472 miles) and saw some incredible scenery. The roads we amazing and twisty. If your ever in our beautiful province of BC make sure to take some of the less travelled hwy's for fun (well if your on a bike or in a sports car I guess )

Here's a map of the area.

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=23218649
    Last edited by vcrmax; 07-28-2008, 12:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Wow, great write-up and pics! Thanks... a little far for me to follow your route though.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Hey you're only 4,500kms away! where's your sense of adventure!

Comment

With some better wind protection I might give 'er a go!
        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I noticed your bike in the first picture. I had the exact same bike!! A 1988 Kat 1100 in blue with orange graphics. I loved that bike and wish I kept it. I love my 2000 Kat 750 but the blue 1988 was so rare I never saw another one!1 Good luck and hold on to it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mx916 View Post
            I noticed your bike in the first picture. I had the exact same bike!! A 1988 Kat 1100 in blue with orange graphics. I loved that bike and wish I kept it. I love my 2000 Kat 750 but the blue 1988 was so rare I never saw another one!1 Good luck and hold on to it!!!
            She's an oldie but still keeps on ticking. I was thinking of buying an SV1000 this year but I just found out we are expecting another rider early next year so I guess no new bike for me for a while.

Comment

Cool pictures! Looks like a nice area to ride too. If I'm not mistaken Hope is where the first Rambo (First Blood) was filmed. Loved the shots in that movie. Very beautiful country. I'll put it on my ever-growing list of rides!
              Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.
              G. Tipton, R. Halford, K. Downing

sigpic

Comment

Very cool pics!!!!
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X