X

Fork Seals?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Seals?

someone told me you could use Honda seals on the Big Kat, anyone ever heard of doing this? Something about a better disign and less chance of leaking.
    1990 Big Kat 1100 "AKA" The Dirty Rocket

never heard that, but seals are cheap enough that it is worth a try. go for it and let us know how it works
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I had my 93 1100 fork seals done last year for 265, the seals were 65 a side

Comment

Most fork seals interchange with other bike makes as the bike mfgs. dont make forks but a few fork mfgs sell to all of the bike mfgs.

Comment

Originally posted by suzy1052 View Post
          Most fork seals interchange with other bike makes as the bike mfgs. dont make forks but a few fork mfgs sell to all of the bike mfgs.
          That's correct. Just quickly referencing a book........ Kat 1100 seals interchange with....

CBR1000 "Hurricane"
          CBR600F2/3
          VTR1000F "Super Hawk"
          NT650
          91-03 750 Nighthawk
          90-97 VFR750

....... and many, many more. This is not an upgrade, really, just an interchange. There are aftermarket companies, though, that make seals that are a real upgrade in design or materials from the OEM ones.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I think the only factor with the seals is the diameter of the fork, unless it's a special application. I just had mine done earlier this year and my guy did them both for about 120.00 parts and labor. All I had to do was pull the forks off the bike and that was easy.
            Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 07-18-2008, 09:25 PM.
            The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

All I ahd to do was pull the forks off the bike and that was easy.

I had an appointment, and they did all the labor

Comment

I used "Leakproof" brand low stiction seals, and Amsoil fork oil.

Around $40 in parts.
                93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

If you can take your wheels off you can do your fork seals yourself however I would recommend you borrow/purchase a electric impact wrench.The DIY pictures you see make it look more complicated than it is.Use PVC pipe with a slightly larger diameter than your fork as fork seal drivers.I did my sons and my bike for the cost of the seals(25.00 for both bikes on ebay)and 2.00 in PVC sections.Unless your local dealer insnt busy with summer work you will have it done in an afternoon doing it yourself.

Comment

I've fixed the pics, shutterfly changed the links to only show thumbs...all better now.

HTH.

Note I didn't separate the forks. I tried, but the fork brace bolt head were stripped by a previous idiot.
                    The current idiot (ahem) figured he could do the seals without breaking them apart, and he was right.
                    93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Working...
                    X