No announcement yet.
X

kat turns over, no start...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it was the battery. got a new one and she fired in a split second.
    ford guy turned kat rider

Comment

Originally posted by jhavard View Post
      Put your petcock in the prime position (arrow pointing towards the back of the bike) and check the spark as the previous posts. If youve got spark, but still no start, pull one of the fuel lines off and make sure fuel is pouring, not trickling. If its trickling, its either clogged or the gas cap vent is cloged, if so take it apart and unclog it. If your getting spark and fuel to the carbs, get ready to go to work to get the carbs off. Once you have the carbs off, pull the bowls and blow everything out with a compressor, but be careful, pull the plastic jet assembly off with the little jet very carefuly and dont lose anything, then blow it out real good. put the carbs back on, put a test tank or get someone to hold your tank up and fire it up it should run just like that before you put all that crap back on. it want run perfect but it will run good enough for test purposes. Good luck.
      I am glad you got it running. I heard somewhere that iridium plugs require less power to spark but now that you have a new battery you are good.

jhavard, Katana 1100s do not have a petcock. A vacuum line and a fuel gage is all we get. I am not sure I would ever use an air compressor on the insides of my carburetors, but if it works for you...
      01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Originally posted by TheHayabusa View Post

jhavard, Katana 1100s do not have a petcock. A vacuum line and a fuel gage is all we get.
        actually, there is a petcock, so to speak. I am not sure if it is run/off, or run/prime (I think it is prime), but we do have one. There is no reserve. it has no lever and has to be turned using a screwdriver. In 15 years of owning 1100 kats, I never touched the petcock.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

You are right Mojoe about the petcock, I guess I was referring to the easily accessible knob found on most older bikes. I have never even looked to see if it has a slot to use a screw driver to open it.
          01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Originally posted by kyote1 View Post
            won't turn over if kill is on.

Get the battery fully charged first, then try. If still nothing ensure the battery is good, pull a plug, ground it to bare metal on the bike and look for a spark (preferablly not ouside in the sunshine, could be hard to see).

The aged coils on these bikes need all the juice they can get. I suspect weak battery.

Let us know what you find.
            told you
            1988 Katana 1100 (sold)
            2004 Hayabusa

Comment

Working...
            X