Carburator issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburator issue

I bought a 1988 katana 1100cc. it runs.

it cannot support a load though. it will move on flat gorund and has trouble idling for too long. i changed the oil which was pitch black, swapped the filter, dumped the old gas, and cleaned the carburators. when i go uphill, it sputters and dies with no power or torque. runs very rich too, with a heavy scent of gasoline.

BUT.
    having looked through the manual, in the diaphragm end of the carbs, when i pulled them open, i had my long main springs, with the needle jets just sitting in them- when i saw this i couldnt see any way this would keep pressure on the needle, but thought i just didnt know what it was supposed to do.
    Having looked at the manual, i see there is a jet needle stopper and mini spring that is supposed to sit atop the needle, and i presume the spring sits on top of that to make sure the needle is always protruding from the piston valve. As is, if i tilt the carburators back, and manually flip the piston valve up and down somewhat rapidly, the needle ascends into the valve piston and does not come back down without significant jiggling. i'm quite sure this is my problem with the bike sputtering and dying, but at the same time, the manual (gsx600f, mine is a gsx1100) has slight variations and i dont know if the part i'm going to look for even belongs in my carbs.

think this would be causing my lack of power and difficulty idling?
    charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

I'm going to move this to the 1100 only forum. But don't worry, carb masters will chime in!

Comment

The needles should be retained by some method. I have yet to see a carb where the needle is free to slide right out when inverted.

Take a look at the image below and see if you have all of those parts just as it shows.

5 is the slide
      6 is the e-clip
      7 is the part that should hold the needle in
      8 looks like plastic spacer for under the e-clip
      9 is the spring
      10 is the needle itself

Tmod
      Last edited by Tmod; 06-30-2008, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I have a factory service manual for the 88 1100 posted as a sticky in the 1100 section. download a copy and referr to it.

Comment

Sounds like the needles are on the wrong side of the slides, if that's even possible!
          93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

forgot about this thread.

i had a haynes buried in my closet. the previous owner put the spring seats under the e-clips, so the needles floated freely. i swapped the location and it works awesome now.
            charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Working...
            X