X

URGENT help needed!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT help needed!!!

My bike is having trouble starting, and it's because of the clutch "safe" switch.

If I play at pulling my clutch in a few times, and as far as possible, I can get this switch to finally give and the bike starts no problem.

I consulted the two manuals (the one from this forum, and a Haines) I have but did not find the schematics on this, so I don't have a clue what to look for.

I'm afraid that I won't be able to start her due to this and be seriously stuck.

This started bit by bit, but now in the last two day, it really got bad.

Anyone?
    JPG
    1988 GSX 1100F

It sounds like it's probably dirty. You should be able to bypass it in an emergency...

If the wiring on the 1100 is the same as the 600/750 it should be a yellow and yellow/green pair of wires under the tank with bullet connectors on them.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      It sounds like it's probably dirty. You should be able to bypass it in an emergency...

If the wiring on the 1100 is the same as the 600/750 it should be a yellow and yellow/green pair of wires under the tank with bullet connectors on them.

The problem is that I've been reading and this appears to be a common problem/headache/annoyance, but no one as posted any pictures to show where these connectors are...

To temporarily bypass, what would be required?
      JPG
      1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

Just plug the wires together. There is one pair that goes up to the left side of the handle bars to the clutch. If you disconnect the pair under the tank and connect the wires that were connect to that pair together you have just by passed the clutch safety.

Hope I explained that clearly...
        SB

Comment

Don't Panic follow me

Originally posted by imfallen_angel View Post
          My bike is having trouble starting, and it's because of the clutch "safe" switch.

If I play at pulling my clutch in a few times, and as far as possible, I can get this switch to finally give and the bike starts no problem.

I consulted the two manuals (the one from this forum, and a Haines) I have but did not find the schematics on this, so I don't have a clue what to look for.

I'm afraid that I won't be able to start her due to this and be seriously stuck.

This started bit by bit, but now in the last two day, it really got bad.

Anyone?

You don't have to by pass anything just yet. Get a phillps screw driver, unbolt the two tiny screws under the cluth handle bar, where the wire goes into, clean it out and look for any damage to it. If the contact or housing is broke then you can by pass it. Chances are if you clean , it will fix things up for you. If not the two contacts you exposed by taking it apart can be touched together with a penny to start the bike.

I just did mine on my 88 1100. Let us know how you make out.

"Always enough time to do it twice, but never enough time to do it right."
          Last edited by KYOTE1; 06-24-2008, 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling
          1988 Katana 1100 (sold)
          2004 Hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by KYOTE1 View Post
            You don't have to by pass anything just yet. Get a phillps screw driver, unbolt the two tiny screws under the cluth handle bar, where the wire goes into, clean it out and look for any damage to it. If the contact or housing is broke then you can by pass it. Chances are if you clean , it will fix things up for you. If not the two contacts you exposed by taking it apart can be touched together with a penny to start the bike.

I just did mine on my 88 1100. Let us know how you make out.

"Always enough time to do it twice, but never enough time to do it right."
            I half agree with you. the part about cleaning it. just be careful cuz there is a small spring that can be easily lost.

also, that switch is somewhat adjustable. the holes are not round, but more oblong. sometimes just loosening the switch and moving it a bit to one side ot the other clears up the problem.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks...

I'll hopefully get home to do this... it's been nothing but rain for a while now, and working on the bike in the rain isn't what I'd like to have to do.

I think that I'm getting a general idea about this... I wish that someone had some pictures or schematics/diagram so that I'd know what to expect.
              JPG
              1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

here is a schematic. it is the #17 assy.
                #18 runs along two contact tracks. clean it all with alcohol. #19 will slide left/right a bit for adjustment.

Comment

[quote=Mojoe;1493052]here is a schematic. it is the #17 assy.
                  #18 runs along two contact tracks. clean it all with alcohol. #19 will slide left/right a bit for adjustment.

Fantastic!!

Thanks again...

What would this place be without you!?
                  JPG
                  1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

Originally posted by imfallen_angel View Post

What would this place be without you!?
                    boring?

no problem bud. it's an easy fix.

Comment

I used that schematic from Mojoe to clean my clutch safety switch and it has been perfect ever since. Just used a bit of Gasoline to clean off the gunk from the metal contacts, put it back together and viola no more problem.

Comment

It's fixed!!!

Thanks to Mojoe's schematic, I knew what to look for, and it was as stupid as....

...lose screws... Once tightened, I didn't have a problem anymore, I tested several, (my poor battery) times....

I was just afraid to start taking things apart, not figuring out what it would have been and breaking something in the process... with my luck.

Thanks everyone!
                        Last edited by imfallen_angel; 06-24-2008, 01:10 PM.
                        JPG
                        1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

Working...
                        X