X

idle and choke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle and choke

how do i raise my idle? its sittin around 300-400 rpm, seems low to me. and when i fire her up cold it takes forever to warm up. i cant let the choke off with out it dying for the fisrt 20-30 minutes. thats a long time.
    ford guy turned kat rider

I believe it should be idling around 1200 I would think. There is a knob that you push in and turn on the right side of the bike (i think it's the right could be the left) below the carbs that adjusts the idle. Make small adjustments and then wait a minute for the bike to settle then readjust as necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by vcrmax View Post
      I believe it should be idling around 1200 I would think. There is a knob that you push in and turn on the right side of the bike (i think it's the right could be the left) below the carbs that adjusts the idle. Make small adjustments and then wait a minute for the bike to settle then readjust as necessary.

that white knob about 1/2 inch round? it doesnt move, well it moves but its more like the plastic is bending and then it snaps right back into place...

Comment

Originally posted by seethesvt View Post
        that white knob about 1/2 inch round? it doesnt move, well it moves but its more like the plastic is bending and then it snaps right back into place...
        that aint good... wd40?
        sigpicMy Kat Barks Like A Dog!boof boof.

Comment

are you pushing it in before turning?

Comment

You should pull on it while turning. It takes a big turn on the way to the carbs and bins easily.
            You might have to remove the carbs and oil it.

Comment

it just spins now. my bike will not idle. shop has it now.

Comment

Mine did the same thing, I ended up putting a small hose clamp on it up close to the carbs, have not had a problem since.
                I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

it's basically just a threaded rod on one end and the knob on the other, with a flexible shaft in between. sometimes it just gets loose in the flex shaft, so as GSX1100FL says, clamps on it will work.

the problem is that most people neglect this part when they do a carb maintenance. it is always a good idea to clean it each time you have the chance....by cleaning I mean the threads that are part of the rod. all it does really is open up the throttle a bit. I got lucky with mine....I felt that it was getting tight as I never used it, and never cleaned it. so before I forced on it and "stripped" it, I just took it apart and cleaned the threads good, then greased it. not oil...but grease. "never seize" also works good.

btw...if it is working as it should, you should not have to push or pull on it. if you have to do either of those, then it is a sign that it is on it's way out. you should only have to turn it.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

it's just a piece of hose slipped over a splined shaft on both ends, with age the hose will stretch and become lose on the shafts, then it will slip and not turn the shaft on the carb side, clamps may help, but you really need to clean it all up, grease the threads and replace the hose.
                    The hose will with time also retain the shape of the bend, thus the springing back you mentioned if you don't turn it 1 complete revolution.

Comment

:smt084ok... i took my bike to a mechanic, it ran perfect accept for the idle problem. i got it back and it ran like poop. so i brought it back to the mech and he was sayin its bad gas. eventhough it ran fine on the way there. so i put 110 octane in it and seafoam as well, as directed by the mech. ran it all out and filled her up normally again with good gas and it still runs like balls. he said the pilots are clogged but i just spent 1000 bucks last summer getting them cleaned and fine tuned or what ever they do.

bull ship, 2 of the cylinders are not firing i guess. im thinking the old fart put the bike together wrong or something. its got a mean rattle sound coming from around the carbs somewhere. is that normal for clogged pilots? i dont know what to do about it. the mechanic fudged up my shivit and i cant afford another carb cleaning... any ideas or advice. its like a hollow rattling sound, not constant, it comes around certain rpms, during idle, and when i let off the gas (engine breaking).

Comment

no, if it's coming from the carbs I have no Fing idea what that is. Does it sound like a sewing machine? If it does thats your valves. $1000 on a carbs clean is a tad nuts, not a tad, it's REALLY nuts. Send your carbs too me, I'll do it for $100

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          no, if it's coming from the carbs I have no Fing idea what that is. Does it sound like a sewing machine? If it does thats your valves. $1000 on a carbs clean is a tad nuts, not a tad, it's REALLY nuts. Send your carbs too me, I'll do it for $100
                          1000 bucks for rebuilding the carbs and countless other tune ups from the bike sitting for 8 years. doensnt sound like a sewing machine, it has no rythm.

ok, so... im ****ed... dude messed up my bike. when i talked to him it was like this, "im the mechanic, your just some dumb kid." all i wanted done was the idle screw adjusted cuz it was broken. i guess ill bring it back, demand that he double check his work. i figure its his obligation to do so since it was in near perfect running order before he touched it. but... i dont trust the old fart to touch my ****.
                          Last edited by seethesvt; 04-22-2008, 07:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bimlBz0rD8wm thats not me or my bike but its the noise...

Comment

Originally posted by seethesvt View Post
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=bimlBz0rD8wm thats not me or my bike but its the noise...
                              Your link comes up in Russian ??
                              2005 GSXF750 Katana
                              1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
                              1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Working...
                              X