X

looking for some parts. help please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for some parts. help please

Hello, i am new to the forum, so if i missed a bst thread or something please point me int he right direction. I just picked up a 93 gsx1100g for a grand. Obviously she aint perfect, but she made a 400 mile ride home without a hiccup. Im having trouble finding parts for her, even on ebay there isnt a selection like i expected their to be. Right now, i most importantly need some new rotors. my front rotors have cracks in them and my rear rotors are worn from use w/ low pads. also would maybe look into some new calipers and steel braided lines.. stopping is probably one of the most important things, so i want to make sure i can get the best out of it.

other than that, and looking a little rought, shes a great bike, and im certainly loving that shaft drive.

thanks, its good to be part of the family,
    Dan

Ohhh the GSXg!
    I think you are our first!
    Welcome..
    Ronayers.com does not list the GSX1100g
    Too bad because Ron Ayers will allow you to see what other bikes the rotor fit. (maybe a more available eBay part.)

Sorry I can't help more.
    Since the bike made a 400 mile trip that's a good sign!!

Comment

oh yes, a very good sign, and i love it!...
      and i would assume things like the front rotors should be compatible between other 1100, but am not 100% certain, i found the bst thread but no1 has parts

Comment

isn't the G a shaft drive?

anyway, if you can confirm that the F model rotors will work, I have a spare set, both front and rear. I also have calipers with perfectly good hoses attached.

let me know if you still need them.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

yes it is a shaft drive, but i havent been able to find anywhere that can tell me yes or no on model differences... i have the repair manual and the g and f are both in there. how much would you want for them?

Comment

this it? http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m6155sch237535

Comment

If you should decide that it's too much trouble to fix up, let me know. I might be interested in buying it off ya.

Comment

hahaha the vultures are already gathering to feed on the remains

Comment

dingo, i do beleive that is it

dan, it runs fine as it is, i think im going to keep it unless someone comes out of the blue and offers me double what i paid. hah.

Comment

yeah..im pretty sure that's it man..Glad I could help

Comment

the G model is totally different, and it IS NOT considered a Katana.

the only thing they share in common is the 1127 oil cooled engine, but not the complete engine. tranny is different for the shaft drive, and the cams are different. same bore and stroke. the G has 36mm carbs, the F of the same year only has 34mm.....but yet the F has 136 hp, while the G has on 98hp. The shaft drive eats up most of that.

hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this section of KR will not be all that helpful to you. they are two totally different bikes.

you can see the specs on your bike right here.

Comment

i find it hard to beleive the rotors wont fit though... the brake system should be the same/similar.

what if i was just ot replace the whole caliper/piston/rotor set... i really dont feel ilek dumping 180 per rotor or new oem ones.
                        Last edited by rocker4488; 04-02-2008, 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

the rear might...the front is a definate NO GO.

Comment

ugh, may be looking at retrofitting a whole new brake system to this bike. i simply refuse to pay 400$ on new rotors alone

Comment

The G motor had balance shafts and more tq than the katana. It sounded like a nice bike. In fact, I tried to buy a "new" demo with 400 miles from the dealer before I got my Katana 1100. I thought they wanted too much, especially since it no longer had a factory warranty. but I digress..
                              Their used to be a good website for that bike, but that is probably gone by now. The GSX1100g was intended to be a modern reincarnation of the old GS 1100E from the early 80's- it was a beautiful bike and well received. It was also a parts bin bike, to cut costs. For example, the drive system is the same as that of the old GV1200 Madura (I used to own one of those!).
                              from what I have read, they all need better springs (get them from Progressive) andthe only aftermarket exhaust ever made for them was a Jardine. Some company in Europe made and awesome body kit too.
                              Sorry couldn't be more helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X