X

Rim Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim Questions

I know I have touched on this subject before but I'm going to come from a different angle this time.

Will Katana 750 rims bolt up to an 1100 in an attempt to convert to from 16 to 17 inch rims ?

In the previous post we found out the the Bandit rims may be a fit. What I trying to gain here with this thread is options. I don't want to change out the swing-arm if I dont have to. Running a 180-190 series tire is not that big of a deal to me. On my own mind-steam, I came up with several options.

1. of course, the Bandit (1200-front, 600-rear)
    2. 90's Gixxer front and rear
    3. rim swap from a pre or possibly post 600/750

Gimme some feed back on options 2 and 3 or even stuff I may have missed.

BTW, I know anything will work if you throw a bunch of $$$ at it so be easy on the "at all cost" suggestions. This is not an "at all cost" project.

Appreciate ya, Bros
    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

the first thing to know is the spindle diameter of any wheel you intend/want to fit to see if it'll slide thru your swingarm...

i fitted the gsxr1100l/m wheel into the back of my 750 slabby frame on the slabby spindle ...
    spacers were a mix and match of what i had laying around (slabby and slingshot), it went in real easy ...

used the slingshot caliper mount because of the difference in disc size, but could've used the slabby disc and mount but needed quite a bit of meat filing off the caliper where it contacted the hub/spokes (very thick caliper casting) due to the shorter mount/smaller diameter disc...

as long as your spindle (axle) fits thru your chosen wheel nicely you should have minimal problems/expense...

the later gixers have larger diameter spindles (from about 97 on i think but might be later than that)...

alignment of the oilcooled bikes wheels generally is a minimal hassle
    it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

You probably missed it but I told you you can use the post-Katanarim without any problem, all you need is to line the rim up.
      (btw in this pic there's a 170/60 fitted)

another one from above (you may notice you've enough slack on the sides off the swing)

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
        You probably missed it but I told you you can use the post-Katanarim without any problem, all you need is to line the rim up.
        (btw in this pic there's a 170/60 fitted)

another one from above (you may notice you've enough slack on the sides off the swing)

Dig it !! See, that's what I'm talkin' bout. 'preciate ya, bro.

BTW, does that apply to the front and the rear ?
        The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by NiteMare View Post
          the first thing to know is the spindle diameter of any wheel you intend/want to fit to see if it'll slide thru your swingarm...

i fitted the gsxr1100l/m wheel into the back of my 750 slabby frame on the slabby spindle ...
          spacers were a mix and match of what i had laying around (slabby and slingshot), it went in real easy ...

used the slingshot caliper mount because of the difference in disc size, but could've used the slabby disc and mount but needed quite a bit of meat filing off the caliper where it contacted the hub/spokes (very thick caliper casting) due to the shorter mount/smaller diameter disc...

as long as your spindle (axle) fits thru your chosen wheel nicely you should have minimal problems/expense...

the later gixers have larger diameter spindles (from about 97 on i think but might be later than that)...

alignment of the oilcooled bikes wheels generally is a minimal hassle

Dude, I just looked in your "garage". You gotta gimme details on that Goldwing.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
            Dude, I just looked in your "garage". You gotta gimme details on that Goldwing.

you really don't want to know how much of an headache that bike was ...
            or do you

ok here goes, i was given the original bike as scrap metal basically, it had been sat for about 4 years with lots of bits stripped off/missing and most of the rest of it was scrap...

i checked the engine wasn't seized and got it to splutter a little so decided it was worth a go at patching up so started hunting ebay and various forums for parts, i ended up buying two more parts bikes and a few odds and ends to make one complete bike ...

the only problem was no carbs worth attempting to rescue, so i bought a pair of weber 36IDF's and made my own manifolds with a little help from a local fabricator ...

the whole bike was stripped (two bikes were stripped) and i used the frame (rolling chassis) off the one and the engine from the one i was given, heads were stripped and cleaned, new cam belts, block cleaned and resprayed with clear over metallic base and the heads were just sprayed with a darker met' basecoat, all shiney ally was polished by a friend...

all other metalwork was stripped by me and resprayed including the wheels along with stripping the bodywork, debadging and a two tone metallic respray ...

all in all i suppose i spent approx' four months collecting and tinkering to get it on the road...

i used it for about eight months to fool around on then bought an old 750 slabby to fighter, unfortunately not too long after that purchase i bought my GSX1100f and the Wing got parked in the back of my garage and hasn't been ridden since

the Wing was fun to play with and surprised a few folks/turned heads and it looks a little different to that photo now (extra headlights and screen), i think it looks really nice for an old cruiser, but I'm mostly riding the red and white GSXR750ws while i'm building the 'fighter now, should have all three Suzuki's on the road this coming year, one to "scratch" on, one to tour on and the 'Fighter to get heads shaking
            it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
              Dig it !! See, that's what I'm talkin' bout. 'preciate ya, bro.

BTW, does that apply to the front and the rear ?
              Can't tell you about the front (sold that some time ago) sorry.

Comment

ok, let me get this str8, the post rear rim fits the 1100.....kwebbel, where are you when i need ya

Comment

I even tried a 5.5" gixer1100 rim today, should work too, allthough it COULD (prolly will) leave you with the urge for an offset frontsprocket ...... (not to mention there wouldn't be left much room for the tyre which is a big nono in my book)
                  Noonetheless it's a relatively cheap and easy mod to do with a post-rim.
                  As you can see the rim I used is equipped with a Galfer wavedisc and a no good but still usable tyre, if you pay for shipment and let's say donate another 50 buck to the stolenbikereplacementfund I''ll be happy to ship it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by NiteMare View Post
                    this issue can often be dealt with just by changing the bearings. often you can locate a bearing where the OD is the same needed to fit the rim, and the ID will match the shaft.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel View Post
                      I even tried a 5.5" gixer1100 rim today, should work too, allthough it COULD (prolly will) leave you with the urge for an offset frontsprocket ...... (not to mention there wouldn't be left much room for the tyre which is a big nono in my book)
                      Noonetheless it's a relatively cheap and easy mod to do with a post-rim.
                      As you can see the rim I used is equipped with a Galfer wavedisc and a no good but still usable tyre, if you pay for shipment and let's say donate another 50 buck to the stolenbikereplacementfund I''ll be happy to ship it to you.
                      i stuck a 5.5" rim and 180 tyre out of a Slingshot in the back of my Slabby Fighter with GSX1100f motor, no need for offset sprockets it all lined up nice and easy ...

the 1100f motor is just a variation on the GSXR1100
                      it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                        this issue can often be dealt with just by changing the bearings. often you can locate a bearing where the OD is the same needed to fit the rim, and the ID will match the shaft.
                        not with Katana-rims, little OD and little ID, I know people who did bore the rims but that is max 4mm in diameter (too little "meat" avail)

Comment

I am helping a friend out that has a big kat, and he is in need of new tires. Figured there will not be a better time for rim swap.

I want to make sure I tell him correctly: He can use a post 600 kat rear rim, sprocket, and rotor on the back of his without modification? Can he also use his caliper and caliper mount, or will he have to change that as well?

Comment

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by Spinx Haplo View Post
                              Can he also use his caliper and caliper mount, or will he have to change that as well?
                              the caliper "should" fit...

the caliper mount may be another problem, if the discs are the same diameter then there'll be no problem, if the new disc is a larger/smaller diameter use the matching mount
                              it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Working...
                              X