X

Air Filters- One or four?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NiteMare View Post
    i believe that all is required with a decent 4 into 1 system and a k+n filter in the standard airbox is, a stage 1 dynojet kit ...

stage 3 kits are required when you junk the airbox and go to pods (single or dual) ...

it's still recommended that you get a little dyno time to check the air/fuel mixture is correct across the rev range

that's my understanding of it anyway
    I've heard that before. Also, I've heard that what the airbox allows the carbs to do is work together when joined to the stock airbox. I got a chance to test that theory years ago, albeit on an unfaired bike (KZ1000). I bought it with individual pods. A friend told the previously mention theory. unfortunately, I could not find a stock airbox for the price I wanted to pay. I did find a K&N 4-1 single pod that mounted to all 4 carbs. There was improvement immediately (idle was smoother, no dead spots, seems to breath better). IMO, I think unless there are major changes to the jetting (stage 3 or aftermarket carbs), individual pods allow too much air flow. I'm running 4-1 exhaust, stock airbox (K&N of course), and a 1 stage and I'm happy with the performance. I am thinking about a 5* timing advance, though. We'll see.

That's just my $2 (inflation).
    Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 10-30-2007, 09:57 PM.
    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

It all depends on who you talk to . I ran pods , and I now have the stock airbox back in place . I could never seem to get it right with the pods . But then , my carbs were screwed , so that didn't help . But I too have a full exhaust , with a stage 1 and stock airbox/filter . With pods and pipe , yeah , you'll want stage 3 . And sock away a little extra for dyno time .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Okay thanks guys, a V&H SSr2,stock airbox w/ K&N filter, and a dynojet stage 1 kit it is then!

V&H SSr2.jpg

K&N.jpg

dynojet.jpg

Comment

make sure you shop around for the SS2R.
          I have seen a wide spread in the prices.
          I have seen it as low as $350ish to up over $500.

mozilla/firefox somehow lost all my bookmarks, which is too bad because I had just added a link to a
          place that was selling old V&H systems (pre SS2R) for like $250.
          I am soooo ****ed that I lost the link.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post

mozilla/firefox somehow lost all my bookmarks, which is too bad because I had just added a link to a
            Mike,
            I already have he SSr2 on the bike(came with it), just thinking I need a jet kit to solve my carb problems, the pilot jets are all screwed up from the PO being a sledgehammer mechanic, going to replace all the jets,orings needles etc.,It also has a UNI filter in it and I have heard that they are junk, so was wondering if a K&N was better that a stock paper element,I think I'll go with the K&N, since it will last longer and I am familiar with them on cars.
            Dan

Comment

Totally off subject, but Mozilla lost my bookmarks too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!

It happened 2 Saturdays ago, and I lost some good links!!!
              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
              18v Rigid Drill
              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I've been reading up on the jet kit, it seems that they don't come with the pilot jets and the mains are smaller than stock.......
                will try it but need to order pilot jets too, any suggestions there?

Comment

Originally posted by danp2630 View Post
                  Mike,
                  I already have he SSr2 on the bike(came with it), just thinking I need a jet kit to solve my carb problems, the pilot jets are all screwed up from the PO being a sledgehammer mechanic, going to replace all the jets,orings needles etc.,It also has a UNI filter in it and I have heard that they are junk, so was wondering if a K&N was better that a stock paper element,I think I'll go with the K&N, since it will last longer and I am familiar with them on cars.
                  Dan
                  I don't know about you but I'm not real comfy dealing with carbs myself. If I were you I'd have someone you trust (you or otherwise) go thru the carbs. You can still get a rebuild kit thru K&L. In the end, I think you will be happy with the performance and reliability you get from just the K&N filter with the stock airbox, the exhaust system, the 1 stage and maybe the 5* timing advance.
                  The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

I have the Stage 1 jet kit installed and it comes with main jets ( 4 different sizes) I did change the pilot jets from 32.5 to 42.5 Since I'm running a K&N and stock pipes I went back to the stock 32.5 I think the 42.5 would be good for V&H or Yosh pipes. I got the pilot jets from the dealer.
                    2005 GSXF750 Katana
                    1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
                    1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

I don't know for sure, but I was told by more than one person that the stock carbs on the 1100 kat were set better than a gixxer, and that they are ideal for a 4:1 system.
                      The last person to tell me this was a mechanic that I was going to have install a jet kit and tune if I installed my 4:1.
                      He basically told me not to waste my money cuz he could dial my stock ones in perfectly.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I don't know for sure, but I was told by more than one person that the stock carbs on the 1100 kat were set better than a gixxer, and that they are ideal for a 4:1 system.
                        The last person to tell me this was a mechanic that I was going to have install a jet kit and tune if I installed my 4:1.
                        He basically told me not to waste my money cuz he could dial my stock ones in perfectly.
                        I just bolted my 4-1 Yosh on with no carb adjustments and it was smooth all the way thru the rev range. I had the jet kit installed seeking better performance. It makes sense what he's saying about the Gixxer carbs. IMO, seems that the 2 machines were created for different purposes.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

The Haynes manual says you have some pretty large jet's in that bike. Leave it alone and enjoy the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by danp2630 View Post
                            I've been reading up on the jet kit, it seems that they don't come with the pilot jets and the mains are smaller than stock.......
                            will try it but need to order pilot jets too, any suggestions there?
                            Well , I dunno about the 1100 , but if you change pilot jets , make SURE they're the same kind as stock . I had some other pilot jet in MINE (probably Yosh or something ) , and even though it was the same size , it was a different type . Had holes where the stock did NOT . So it was basically DUMPING fuel in and it took me a few YEARS to finally figure it out .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
                              I don't know about you but I'm not real comfy dealing with carbs myself. If I were you I'd have someone you trust (you or otherwise) go thru the carbs. You can still get a rebuild kit thru K&L. In the end, I think you will be happy with the performance and reliability you get from just the K&N filter with the stock airbox, the exhaust system, the 1 stage and maybe the 5* timing advance.
                              Can you do the timing advance like the other Kats? For the 1100 I mean.
                              By laying out your degree markings on the plate and elongating the holes to rotate the plate around 5*??

Comment

For timing advance I installed the Factory Pro ignition advance, simple fix and did notice some improvement. It sells for $54 but can be found on EBay a lot cheaper. http://www.factorypro.com/
                                2005 GSXF750 Katana
                                1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
                                1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Working...
                                X