No announcement yet.
X

Front end wobble

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are you sure your yokes (triple trees over there) are correctly aligned and the sliders are not sticking ??

did you replace the steering bearings ?? taper race bearings generally last better than ball
    it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Originally posted by NiteMare View Post
      taper race bearings generally last better than ball
      not to correct you, but you must mean a roller bearing. there are typically 3 different kinds of bearings. ball, roller, and needle bearings. needle bearing are the type you find in a swing arm pivot.

there is no "race" bearing. the race is the mating surface that the bearings roll against. when you remove the head stem bearing, you will see the race press fitted into the steering head.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
        not to correct you, but you must mean a roller bearing. there are typically 3 different kinds of bearings. ball, roller, and needle bearings. needle bearing are the type you find in a swing arm pivot.

there is no "race" bearing. the race is the mating surface that the bearings roll against. when you remove the head stem bearing, you will see the race press fitted into the steering head.
        unfortunately you are not managing to correct me, i understand "races" and the types ...

we have a couple of different types of ball "races", top race and bottom race with bearings trapped in between such as are used in steering stems, then there is the inner and outer type of ball race such as is used in your wheels ...

now rather than go too much further we'll go to "taper races", the "taper" is the bearing running surface flat with a caged set of rollers trapped between the 2 running surfaces, generally over here in England if you go to any bearing supplier and ask for "taper races" (or taper bearings) they know exactly what you mean, all you'll need to supply them with is the sizes and they'll tell you whether they can supply them...

in my initial post on this subject all i was stating was that "taper races" generally outlast "ball races" due to the greater load spread ...

all that there appears to be here is a little misunderstanding due to the wording of my last post
        it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Can also be caused by a crooked rear tire, if not (chain tensioner) sorry if this was say already didnt read the whole thread

Comment

Originally posted by NiteMare View Post
            all that there appears to be here is a little misunderstanding due to the wording of my last post
            that could be it.

simply put, all bearings have a race, and if you walk into any supplier here in canada and ask for a "race bearing", it will not be enough. you would have to specify roller or ball. tapered would automatically mean a roller bearing as I do not believe there is such thing as a tapered ball bearing, is there?
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
            X