Deal or No Deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deal or No Deal

Hey guys, Great Site.
    I just bought a GSX-1100FJ with less than 17,000 miles showing on the odometer, for $550 US. It runs GREAT above 1500 rpm. But at idle it hunts and stalls alot. (no biggie, a carb clean and sync is in order)
    Well after driving my new jewel, I found it had a six speed????????
    I was hoping that someone had installed an extra gear and made it a close ratio trans and that I had really struck Gold!!!!
    Then reality slapped me in the (use imagination) and after reading how to find out the cc's on the jug, it turns out to be a 750 eng. What a pozer, a kitten in a Kat Body.
    Well I went out today and bought a fresh built 1989, 1127cc KAT bottom end. Well after a close look it too has problems. Pits in the cly walls, not too bad but they are there non the less. Head is bought as is and I knew the Cams are wiped, followers are wiped. Shop I bought it from said they would hook me up with what ever I need to get it going. Already gave me new valves (yeah). But I want a near perfect eng. So even though it is honed and with new rings, I think I must bore it out least amount and hope I do not have to rebalance it.
    Also I want to mill the jugs and or the head to increase the compression. Any thoughts on how much to mill them and stay just a tick to the safe side. When I get further along with this I will keep you guys updated..
    Will look for parts here and post what I need and see if any of you kind souls might have 4 or 5 spares and be willing to get rid of a part or two.
    PS… Be gentle. ; )
    Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say!

Even with the 750 in there $550 and running sounds like a good deal to me.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I am not complaining about the over all deal. Just was sad to find a kitten where the Kat should have been. But I found out today that the 750 is a 89 GSXR and the big motor I am going to replace it with is a 89 GSXR also.
      Talked to a local Bike shop and they said I can go to a 3mm over wisco 12 to 1 piston kit and not have to rebalance.
      I know that this is a 1100 thread only. I hope you guys will not hold my temporary situation against me.

Comment

I have a whole complete 1127 engine in spare parts...except for the crank. It has a bad journal.
        I haven't decided what I am going to do with it yet. I might find a crank and rebuild it....or part it out.

what do you need exactly for engine parts?
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Maybe kar could use his or another 750 crank? Im too tired and/or lazy to research this, but I would guess, what,

750 + 1100 /2 = 925 cc's????
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Hey Mojoe, been reading the posts on the forum and have learned a lot about these Kats. But I am a very inquisitive person, with a quest for all there is to know about any topic or thing that interests me. I am sure I have just scratched the surface, after just starting to look in the Haynes Service and Repair Manual I just recived hours ago.
            My topic was more spur of the moment and a play on the TV show, about not knowing what the outcome might be when you start playing with something, than a question about whether I actually got a deal or not. (I am sure I did)
            But I have raced most of my life;
            Motocross=YZ360 back in the De Casta/ Kosmaker days
            Drag;
            Kawasaki 750 2 stroke
            69 Camaro
            SBC Dragsters
            BBC Dragsters
            Blown Alky BBC Dragsters
            Worked on Whit Bazmores TFFC
            Crew chief on Jerry Caminito's Blue Thunder TFFC (before his crash)
            Owned a Race shop/ Full Machine shop:
            CV 616, various Sunnen hones and valve equip, 600 Super Flow Flow Bench with computer interface, Cam Doctor Profiler with comp interface, ect ,ect. 5000 sqft building, with epoy floors and walls.

Retired 6 years ago, swearing that I was done racing (burned out).

But recently have been drawn back into the dark side by a few friends and am currently Crew Chief and Big Money driver of a 200+ mph BBC Dragster and 2 Mud trucks that go 0 to 110 mph in under 3 sec's on the dirt, without scoop tires.

To make a long story short (lol... too late) I have a need for speed. I have not driven a bike in 20 years and am now 51 years old. This bike just kind of fell into my line of site by my younger days best friends brother and next door neighbor. It was his sons college daily drive for a year. (I am sure he ran the _ _ _ _ out of it)
            I am guessing he did not know it was a 750 eng and I am not going to bother to tell him. I got such a good deal, even for what it is.
            Well after my 2 finger typing marathon, I am finally to the point of your Question Mojoe. The head for the mostly built 1127 is almost FUBAR. It has 2 of the cover/cam journals stripped. (not sure how hard it is to find others to fit and line up to my head) all the rocker arm/cam followers are wiped. The 4 cams (2 original and 1 of the 2 others) are of questionable use. 2 are wiped (original I am sure) 1 of the other 2 have a flat spot on the back of the nose of the lobe (over rev or weak springs I assume) 1 might be ok (have not put a mic to it yet).
            I am going to do some serious research on the cams and profiles of the 750 and 1100's R series engs to see which are the most desirable, what little I have seen in the book, there is not much diff in the total lift of the lobes between the 750 and the 1100 R's. But knowing what I do about cams the lift is very little to do with the duration and ramp rate of the lobe.(grrr, sometimes ignorance is bliss... lol)
            If you are not asleep yet, I am to pick up a head from the cycle shop I bought the 1127 from the beginning of this week and IF the parts are good I will use them, if not I will contact you and see what you are kind enough to help me with.
            Sorry for the long post, but I am hoping that some of the KAT tech guys might be reading this and can help me out with A LOT of questions I have.
            1. A notch under MAX compression for an aggressive tourist driver. LOL
            2. Next size under max bore size, without having to rebalance.
            3. Are there over size intake valves for these heads.
            4. Is there a difference between the 748 R and 1127 R head;
            Intake runner Volume
            Exhaust runner Volume (do not see this info in the book)
            Knowing what I do, I see the Intake runners on the 1127 head look too big just before the short side radius of the floor. Would a 748 cc head have smaller ports I could put larger valves into so I could keep the velocity up in this area.

I better stop now before you guys will not even look at any of my posts for fear of eye strain and waking the wife or kids or gf's with snoring.
            THX in Advance to all that brave reading this post.

Comment

Well I see I put the whole community to sleep . This is an update. I have now bought another GSX 1100 F, almost complete. I will use this for a parts bike, as the 1127 eng is in great shape. It has 11.000 miles on it, but has a very small amount of wear on the cams. (IS THIS AN COMMON PROBLEM?) The small amount of metal transfer on the lobes from the rockers is polish able.
              Also the bike shop I bought the 1127 partially built eng from, found me a 1127 head in almost perfect shape. (yeah) This will be my project eng, large intake vales, epoxy the intake ports, 11.5 to 1 compression, 3-4 degree timing advancer, carb jetting, 4 into 1 exhaust, k&n filter (in stock air box)
              I do need the factory or good fitting and looking rear view mirrors, if anyone has a pair to sell, please let me know. Also I have learned a lot about the differences in the 748, 748R, 1127, 1127R engines. If anyone is interested, post here and I will post my findings as I go.

Comment

Hey Kar if you see that you dont need these parts from your parts bike let me know. http://katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27812
                THanks

Comment

NOT asleep

all those F------- toys
                  Not asleep - just wishing my shop had 1/3 of your stuff !!!!!
                  And happy I am not the only idiot to have pushed the limits of a Kaw triple I used to knee drag an HI 500 for Toms Kawasaki way back when 8)
                  I ran amateur modified as a kid (will turn 50 this year)but a nasty high sider ended my raceing days.
                  Have been building modest street killers ever since.
                  Welcome to the clan
                  Its not the speed of life that kills you - It's that sudden stop at the end

Comment

Thx for the welcome.

I will be busy for a while, as this is the start of race season, and I just got the nod to buy 2 racepak v300 data recorders with any modules I see fit and I like modules, lots of modules. The more info I read from the eng's, the longer they will live and the better they will run.

Here is my Web Page, I just tried to Load some pic's, but they are too fine of pixel and they will not load. Will update shortly.

Get the latest in news, entertainment, sports, weather and more on Currently.com. Sign up for free email service with AT&T Yahoo Mail.

Comment

Does anyone know how to reduce the size of a picture file down to 400kb. As this is all that will load to my website.

Comment

Windows XP has the "Microsoft Picture Editor" and it has a resize function in the tools menu (across the top of the screen)
                        there are many other methods but this is an easy one
                        Doc

Comment

docbarlow thx for the info, but I looked all over for "Microsoft Picture Editor" but could not find it. I install MS Works a while back and just read where that takes "Microsoft Picture Editor" over sometimes.

I found a free resizer "Easy Graphic Converter" But is is in greyscale only.

But at least I have some pic's in there now.

Comment

If you go to the control panel and double click "folder options" you can select filr types and change the "opens with" program for any registered extention (.jpg) or any other graphics format (.gif, .tiff, ect....) - this will re-register any previous editor.
                            sorry about the geek speak - I have to redo this stuff all the time at work.
                            good luck - you can also use "www.imageshack.us" to hold online images, I have found it works well - and will write the code to post images in forums and newsgroups
                            Doc
                            by the way - yesterdays ride

Comment

WOW docbarlow, that is a fine ride. Cant wait till I have my finished with the big motor and a complete tear down and repaint.

Comment

Working...
                              X