X

Why in the Heck would Suzuki do that?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why in the Heck would Suzuki do that?

I was looking at a 650 the other day and kinda liking it, but I was erc'ed about a few things! 1 Why did the call it a 650 and not a 660? Why does it put out 1 hp less than my 600? when being water cooled and having Fi, should have add 20 hp right of the bat! Why did they drop the Katana name? Dont they realize our forum will suffer?

I think the marketing gurus blew it!!!

they dropped the Katana name because to a good 75% of people Katana = **** I don't think they blew it at all, only people who really like the Katana think that. The Katana is gone my friend, this reincarnation is a Bandit.

Comment

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the CC designation have something to do with insurance classification and/or excise taxes?
      THE DOC
      RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
      Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
      mistake when you make it again.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        they dropped the Katana name because to a good 75% of people Katana = **** I don't think they blew it at all, only people who really like the Katana think that. The Katana is gone my friend, this reincarnation is a Bandit.
        As far as the Katana name go's I for one like it! better than a few letters and numbers(imo). I've heard the 650 uses a bandit motor, but the first Katanas used a gsxr motor and they were not gsxr's.

The 660 name, I feel would sell more than an old school 650. I dont think there's any insurance difference from 650 to 660. Always thought that 750 is where the rates increased.

I dont know! it just IMO.

Comment

I think they dropped it because so many had a negative feelings towards the name. Everyone wanted Gsxrs and harassed those that had a Kan A Tuna. It wasn't a brand name that had a positive image any more, like it once had. It is too bad because it had a strong brand name equity back in the earlier years. It was finally time to put one of the best selling names of all time to rest.
          2007 Honda CBR600rr
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
          sigpic

Comment

The new GSX650F is simply a full fairing 650 Bandit...

They did not continue the name because its not the katana its a bandit.
            the size thing is for reg and ownership,
            My shadow is only 583cc but they call it a 600... there is no 580cc class when it comes to insurance.
            I doubt if there is a 660 class either
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

THE kan-a-tuna name was not very appealing. however, i like being able to ride my bike more than 50 miles without having my wrists feel like their gonnna fall off
              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
              Current Bikes:
              1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                I think they dropped it because so many had a negative feelings towards the name. Everyone wanted Gsxrs and harassed those that had a Kan A Tuna. It wasn't a brand name that had a positive image any more, like it once had. It is too bad because it had a strong brand name equity back in the earlier years. It was finally time to put one of the best selling names of all time to rest.
                I just dont see the hate for the name, I've never heard anyone talking down about a Katana until I joined this forum.

I'm not sure where the negative talk comes from, as I've never heard any in my neck of the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                  I just dont see the hate for the name, I've never heard anyone talking down about a Katana until I joined this forum.

I'm not sure where the negative talk comes from, as I've never heard any in my neck of the woods.
                  There are a lot of the sport bike crowds that really harass Katana owners out there. They don't understand that it isn't supposed to be a race bike like the Gsxr, it is a sport touring bike. They see it as a slow, ugly bike.
                  This isn't my opinion, but the opinion of others who don't have a clue. I really liked my Kat, I just wanted and needed more.
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

Sadly I agree there and I bet Cp will chime in the Kat is a good all around bike. It is not a wrist and back killer like the RR's. It came in Two Flavors a sportier 600 and the more tour minded 750 (which is a Better model- I own Both a 6 and a 7 so after doing identical runs with both bikes the 7 is alot better in my opinion) They replaced it with a, as arsenic put it, a Full fairing Bandit. (Which is not all of a bad thing.)
                    There is an Oppertunity with the 650F, I've started to notice more of them on the road (like i see Kats around here) But the Katana is dead. In 8 Years when Suzuki is not required to continue producing parts for it, what will current and Future Katana Owners do when they are needing Parts? Suzuki (again my Opinion) downsized the Number of Frame models it cranked out in 08 to make room for the Gladius and other smaller cc bike models. Couple the European Emmission Standards with it- Called the Death Knell to the Katana. But if you look at almost every Sportbike on the Market you see pieces that were inspired by the Katana (original model).

Then there is the Stratosphere....

Comment

The Katana had an old gsxr engine with a katana frame, katana swingarm, katana forks etc...

The 650F has a bandit engine, bandit frame, hell bandit fairings etc...it's a bandit with fairings, plain and simple.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

My guess is because of the SV650. So that people who compare bikes solely on engine size might buy one.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                          My guess is because of the SV650. So that people who compare bikes solely on engine size might buy one.
                          I'd like to see all bikes named buy there true displacement!

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            The Katana had an old gsxr engine with a katana frame, katana swingarm, katana forks etc...

The 650F has a bandit engine, bandit frame, hell bandit fairings etc...it's a bandit with fairings, plain and simple.
                            With all due respect, the best, most positive thing I can think of to say to that, is...

SO WHAT?

20044 Katana 600-
                            Power:78.00 HP (56.9 kW)) @ 10500 RPM
                            Torque:54.00 Nm (5.5 kgf-m or 39.8 ft.lbs) @ 9500 RPM
                            Overall length:2,140 mm (84.3 inches)
                            Front suspension travel:130 mm (5.1 inches)
                            Rear suspension travel:142 mm (5.6 inches)

2004 Bandit 600-
                            Power:77.50 HP (56.6 kW)) @ 10500 RPM
                            Torque:54.10 Nm (5.5 kgf-m or 39.9 ft.lbs) @ 9500 RPM
                            Overall length:2,060 mm (81.1 inches)
                            Front suspension travel:130 mm (5.1 inches)
                            Rear suspension travel:121 mm (4.8 inches)

2006 Bandit 650
                            Power:77.50 HP (56.6 kW)) @ 10100 RPM
                            Torque:59.20 Nm (6.0 kgf-m or 43.7 ft.lbs) @ 4000 RPM
                            Overall length:2,110 mm (83.1 inches)
                            Front suspension travel: Not avail. at that site.
                            Rear suspension travel: Not avail. at that site.

Conclusion: Engines are THE SAME except for air/oil vs. water cooled (0.5 HP is WELL within experimental error.) Front sus. travel THE SAME. Rear sus. travel close.

A Katana is a Bandit is a GSXF is a GSXF is a Bandit is a Katana, give or take a little plastic.

Get over it.
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

i want another katana 750 and cant wait to find one for cheap. and i would have gotten a gsx650f if it had more cc,plain and simple like 1250

Comment

Working...
                              X