X
X

HOW TO PUT BIKE ON CENTERSTAND

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow... this is a big help. I used to have to get someone to put it on the centerstand with me everytime i needed to do some work on the kat

Comment

• Good video. I almost hate to admit this, but I've found it easiest (and least scary) to do it whilst straddling the bike. Basically I straddle the bike, put it in neutral, use my left foot to lower the center stand, then jam the center stand down hard with my left foot as I shove the bike back and up onto it. It's a bit "brute force"-ish but it works. And if for some reason the center stand slips and the bike wants to lurch to one side or the other, you're straddling it already so it's easy to keep it from tipping over.

It certainly isn't as easy/fluid looking a technique as the guy in the video shows, but it does give a certain amount of peace-of-mind. When I get my Kat back together from its current repairs I'll try the technique in the video. The thought of having no way of stopping the bike from going over if it does decide to fall away from you (if the center stand slips) is a bit disconcerting though, but this is probably quite rare.

Comment

• For me the trick is applying the maxinum amount of force once the bike is on the "tipping point" to go up on the stand. Too soon and it's not going to go on the stand, and too late it just roll back forward... Took me like 5 tried but once I got it, it's was easy.
        sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

• I had the biggest pain with this. . . it was harder to learn to use the center stand than it was to do a perfect figure 8 in the box.

I damn near cried tears of joy once I actually did it. I tried straddling the bike, but it would just start to go up, then roll back. And maybe my legs are too fat, but I kept having trouble hitting the pegs.

So I did it the "normal" way. What worked the best was to apply maximum pressure on the center stand's pedal, as it didn't take much effort with my right hand. Once I learned to do this, it just take a slight lifting action and it was up!
          WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

• great info. ABout to place my center stand back on now!!
            [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

• Make sure you don't do what I did a few weeks ago.

I needed to fill the tank, so I pulled up next to the pump. I went to put the bike on the centerstand, so the tank would be level when I filled it.

Just as I was giving it 'maximum lift' while pushing down on the stand with my right leg and lifting the frame with my right hand, my foot slipped off the stand...

The stand flipped back up instantly and the bike fell away from me, toward the pump. It came to rest at about a 30 degree angle from the horizontal, with most of the weight taken by the right bar (which was resting against a concrete pillar next to the pump).

Okay the ground was wet at the time, but I called myself every name I could think of while I worked out how I could pick the bike up.

Problem was, I couldn't get between the bike and the pump to lift it, and it wasn't possible to get enough leverage on the bars or the rear of the bike's frame.

Eventually a guy pulled up to fill his car, and together we were able to get things vertical again.

Damage? The right side mirror had been flicked up when it hit the pillar, the glass had been popped out and there was a scrape on the mirror housing. That's all, and the mirror and glass went back to their original positions without drama.

But now I'm really careful using the centerstand!
              "If they think you're crude, go technical. If they think you're technical, go crude."

Comment

• Awesome tutorial! Me and my friend were scratching our heads for days figuring out how people got this done!
                Life is a really long ride. Make sure you do it in style.

Comment

• This works!!! I am not big and strong, so I never really tried it, 'cause I watched other guys way stronger that I am do it, and they would struggle a lot. Immdediately upon reading it, I went to the garage and... it worked. My Kat is on its feet now without a piece of 2X4 helping (yey). It made me feel like... its not the strenght, but brains that count, thank you for posting it.

Comment

• Just did this a couple of times. Once with a spotter just in case. Other couple of times just for peanuts and skittles. Worked like a charm. Yay for law of physics and opposing forces. Thanks for the write-up

Comment

• Originally posted by Range View Post
                      ok...here is my tried and true formula that made me a god

ok...goes without saying...your on the LEFT side of the bike

-bike is in NEUTRAL (bike is off ground, so being in gear is redundant)

-face the seat....put your LEFT foot on the centerstand lever...you can let the bike slightly lean against you for balance

-push down until it makes contact with the ground

-slightly rock the bike side to side so you can feel BOTH feet making contact with the ground...the bike will not raise on ONE foot

-for the duration...do not let the the stand up...as long as you are holding it down..bike will stay upright

-you can put your left hand anywhere...but bars are a comfortable place...it actuall does NOTHING

-right hand on tie-down bar...under the tail...or the frame if the bar has been removed

OK...here you go...push down with the left foot..lift up with the right hand...bike will naturally slide backwards about 8" (so allow for clearance behind you) (you are not actually pulling the bike back)
                      the key is that you are using a DIAGONAL AXIS to lift the bike....meaning you are using force ACROSS the center of your body.
                      Great advice to newbies!!!.... I found that out by experimenting as I didn't want to tear off the plastics.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

• We learned about this in our safety course actually. It's very easy when done right and very minimal force is actually exerted on the bike itself. Most of the action occurs on the lever for the center stand Once I got comfy with balancing the bike on the center stand it was a snap. Quick tug on the rear frame grab and put your weight on the lever for the stand and "pop" up she goes Excellent information and the video was great!
                        2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                        Black
                        Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                        Red
                        Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

• But be careful in wet weather, because if your foot slips off the lever half way through the exercise you'll feel like a real idiot!
                          "If they think you're crude, go technical. If they think you're technical, go crude."

Comment

• This works great, I'm 5'8" 150 lbs and I can do it no problem on my '02 750 kat

Comment

• I have no handles I removed them when my undertail was installed so where do I grab without ruining my undertail

Comment

• The grab bar?
                                Last edited by Kfreak; 09-13-2008, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X