X
X

HOW TO PUT BIKE ON CENTERSTAND

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't realize what all the hub-bub about putting the kats on the centerstand was... never had a problem.

...then I put the plastics back in, and lost the spot I had been grabbing!

I just give it a tug from the passenger foot peg now, that usually does it too.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

thanks for the tip Range I will give it a shot tonite...tried it when i bought the bike and was like dang i'm a wuss...let you know later
      viper
      "It is not how these officers died that made them heroes.... It's how they lived"

Comment

Remember again, its all technique. It doesnt take a whole lot of muscle and you dont have to be a big guy to do it. Virtually anyone can put the bike on the centerstand once you get the hang of it.

Comment

centerstand

that was easy once i did it the right way... thanks Range
          viper
          "It is not how these officers died that made them heroes.... It's how they lived"

Comment

Sorry for posting to an old thread but it's sticky so I guess it's justified.

I was able to do this fairly easily once I read this and got the balls to try it. However maybe I'm retarded but I feel less confident getting the bike OFF the center stand than I do getting it up.

Any tips on coming off the stand? IE: where to hold bike. Do I rock it or just push the handle bars. Is it better to be in gear or out, transmission not riding gear

Any tips? BTW I am 5'5" and a buck thirty at most. So once again its been proven anyone should be able to do this but if I was 6'6" 250 I bet money it would be alot more comfortable to do.

Comment

Okay I'll try it. I've always done it from astride the bike, push the centerstand down with left foot and step on it hard while pulling with my left hand up on the frame behind the seat (kinda' over the peg). Yes, I realize this is a grunt/brute-force kind of method, but it does keep the bike from toppling over and eases my concerns about dropping it by trying to screw with it while I'm standing off to the side of it rather than astride it. . . I've honestly never had a problem either although flat ground or a slight slope with the bike facing up it kind of helps.
              ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
              Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

Thanks, soon as I read this I went and tried it. For years I've been wrestling bikes on too their stand by pulling on both handle bars and rocking them back. This actually works every time unlike my method.

Comment

Originally posted by prokart53
                  Sorry for posting to an old thread but it's sticky so I guess it's justified.

I was able to do this fairly easily once I read this and got the balls to try it. However maybe I'm retarded but I feel less confident getting the bike OFF the center stand than I do getting it up.

Any tips on coming off the stand? IE: where to hold bike. Do I rock it or just push the handle bars. Is it better to be in gear or out, transmission not riding gear

Any tips? BTW I am 5'5" and a buck thirty at most. So once again its been proven anyone should be able to do this but if I was 6'6" 250 I bet money it would be alot more comfortable to do.
                  I use the front brake to control the bike coming off the center stand. Since the front wheel is in contact, you can usually grab a little brake to slow it down as it comes off the stand.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                    I use the front brake to control the bike coming off the center stand. Since the front wheel is in contact, you can usually grab a little brake to slow it down as it comes off the stand.
                    Yeah thats how I've been doing it. Which works but still seems a little awkward to me. This may just be because the only time I have dropped the bike has been taking it off the stand. Guess I'm just a little gun shy. If I'm in my garage and no one is looking I have taken the seat off the bike gotten on and just rolled it off the stand with my feet on the ground the whole time. I wouldn't do this in public though and I'm not sure why I just admitted to it here. Sucks being short.

Comment

thank you for writing this! very helpful!

Comment

WOW it was easy oh and dont feel bad im 5 4 and just did it now im heading back out to put it back just to make sure i can do it lol! wish me luck!

Comment

Does anyone know where/how i can get a center stand for my '96 katana 600? Or is it a bad idea to put on stand thats not the original?
                          Suzuki Katana GSX600F

Comment

THAAAAAAAAAT'S on Ebay .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The technic is very good! I've tried it and is very easy now to put the bike on the centralstand....
                              But I am also short and I need to practice how to put the bike down from the centralstand... the thing that bothers me is not when the bike is getting down and I need to use the front brake but the force that i need to apply to the bike to get it down from the stand....
                              Is that a technic for that, too or I need to get more muscle on me?

Comment

I just stand on the side of the bike...grab the bars and push....as it comes off the stand , lean the bike into you, so it wont fall over by steering it slightly away from you. Control with front brake....when it is off stand...click into first, then lower sidestand...then you can get on .

Comment

Working...
                                X