Katana drag racing tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana drag racing tips?

So my older brother has a VERY heavily modified ford puma,
    Iv been challenged to take my kat down to the drag strip and see whos got more poke in a 1/4mile drag race
    Hes puma will do 1/4 in about 12.8 secs
    According to motorcyclenews, a stock kat will do it in around 12.3
    Im aware alot is down to rider experience, which is something im lacking in on bigger bikes, so any advice on giving me the edge? or any last min mods i could do?

buy new clutch now. take everything out from under seat.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

5 degree advance if you have enough time to order it. Takes 15 mins to install.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Be aware, you ARE required to YouTube this and post it here.

Comment

Originally posted by elsueco View Post
          +1
          2014 Ducati Monster 1200
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Go around the waterbox (no burnout to heat the rear tire needed on a Kat), make sure you line up in the rubber tire tracks left by the cars, not in the center of your lane. Bring rpm's up to 6-7k, when you see the last yellow light, (or all yellow if using the pro tree)dump the clutch as quickly as you can without stalling the engine or looping out and twist to full throttle, slipping the clutch slightly again if needed to keep the front tire down. After you make a few passes, adjust the launch rpm's up a little at a time and your 60' times should drop. A quick 60' time is the key to a quick run at the drag strip, along with shifting at just the right rpm's every time to let the engine drop right back to the peak of the powerband.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

Have your drive chain clean and adjusted
              Use super fuel
              Lower rear tire air pressure
              Do your best

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                Have your drive chain clean and adjusted
                Use super fuel
                Lower rear tire air pressure
                Do your best
                With the stock low compression engine, higher octane than regular most likely won't help and could actually hurt performance, and stock Kats are heavy and underpowered enough that lowering tire presure usually isn't necessary to hook up.
                John,
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
                  Bring rpm's up to 6-7k, when you see the last yellow light, (or all yellow if using the pro tree)dump the clutch as quickly as you can without stalling the engine or looping out and twist to full throttle, slipping the clutch slightly again if needed to keep the front tire down.
                  I'm no racer, and by no means am I questioning your statement. Im more curious than anything.... A clutch dump at 6/7 k in first gear, wont that pull the front tire up pretty hard? I know that these are heavy bikes but man, that seems like its beggin for trouble.

I once was in 2nd gear thinking I was in 1st, I tried to dart across the road, I let off the clutch, the bike bogged, I half clutched and only got the Rpm up to 4k(ish), and a clutch dump in 2nd gear at 4k pulled my front tire up about 6-8 inches. I was a little surprised and i had a big ol' smile on my face (thats the only time ive been on one wheel) but I rode it out and it dropped back down after about 15 feet. It just seems like a cluth dump at 6K in 1str gear is gunna pick that bitch up verticle like... Or is that what you meant by "looping out"?
                  My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                    I'm no racer, and by no means am I questioning your statement. Im more curious than anything.... A clutch dump at 6/7 k in first gear, wont that pull the front tire up pretty hard? I know that these are heavy bikes but man, that seems like its beggin for trouble.

I once was in 2nd gear thinking I was in 1st, I tried to dart across the road, I let off the clutch, the bike bogged, I half clutched and only got the Rpm up to 4k(ish), and a clutch dump in 2nd gear at 4k pulled my front tire up about 6-8 inches. I was a little surprised and i had a big ol' smile on my face (thats the only time ive been on one wheel) but I rode it out and it dropped back down after about 15 feet. It just seems like a cluth dump at 6K in 1str gear is gunna pick that bitch up verticle like... Or is that what you meant by "looping out"?

Looping out means flip the bike over.

6k is no where near what you would need to get a Kat to do that. If your leaning forward over the front, it's going to be even less likely.

Yep, probably get the front tire up a few inches by doing that, but 6k... isn't going to bring it up much at all.

Over 8 k, when the power really kicks in... that's a different story, and why he suggested slow increases to see the best point... and clutching it if it gets up a bit too high.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Interesting stuff. To be honest, Im always leary about coming off the line too strong (for lack of a better term, since I've never raced) and lifting the tire up hard and losing it. When I popped it up accidentally, i could have very well been closer to 6 as I was watching the oncoming traffic I was trying to dart out in front of n not my tach when I realized my bike wasnt in first gear. I twisted the throttle, grabbed the clutch and let go and from a very slight roll, she came up a bit. I will admit, I was surprised at the sensation I got, it was more of a weightless feeling, like the bike was floating and I've always pictured it in my head as to be more forceful, fast and throw you back kind of thing. When it happened to me, it was like gravity forgot to hold my tire down, it was slow and smooth on the come up and the go down. But im getting off track, Im always a little nervous that if i hit it too hard, its going to come up violently and my only two options are slide off the back or hit the back brake and slam it down and get the wobbles. Both scenarios dont play out very well in my head. So when I heard dump the clutch at 6K, my eyes got a little big especially since the fact that zombie is asking advice, I assume he is probably inexperienced. Thats good to know though. I still dont plan on getting on it too hard. I like to know my limits and frankly that is one I havent explored yet.
                      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Here's a vid of me launching at 8k rpm (although you can't hear it because of the other guys exhaust)on my 700 Fazer running against a 600 Ninja with a 900 engine shoehorned in (I beat him by about 1/2 a bike at the end of the 1/8th mile). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PfD...ature=youtu.be When I launch that bike at 8k, the front tire usually comes up about 6-8 inches and settles back down in the middle of 2nd gear. I also adjust the rear shocks to their stiffest setting (ramped adjusters) to help keep the front down.
                        Last edited by Psycho1; 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM.
                        John,
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elsueco View Post
                          So no pressure then
                          It should be going down this weekend, unless rain comes down pretty hard
                          So il have it up early next week

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          Looping out means flip the bike over.

6k is no where near what you would need to get a Kat to do that. If your leaning forward over the front, it's going to be even less likely.

Yep, probably get the front tire up a few inches by doing that, but 6k... isn't going to bring it up much at all.

Over 8 k, when the power really kicks in... that's a different story, and why he suggested slow increases to see the best point... and clutching it if it gets up a bit too high.

Krey
                          So ideally im looking for around 6-7k rpm before launch?
                          Last edited by zombieuchiha; 05-20-2014, 02:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by zombieuchiha View Post
                            So ideally im looking for around 6-7k rpm before launch?
                            Yes, try starting around 6k rpm at first, then adjust up or down slowly from there till you find what works best for you and your bike on that particular day.
                            John,
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
                              Yes, try starting around 6k rpm at first, then adjust up or down slowly from there till you find what works best for you and your bike on that particular day.
                              Thanks for the advice,
                              much appreciated

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                              5 degree advance if you have enough time to order it. Takes 15 mins to install.
                              Does this work without a rejet?
                              How much of a boost am i likely to gain from this without rejetting with it?
                              Last edited by zombieuchiha; 05-20-2014, 03:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X