X

How safe is..?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How safe is..?

I was wondering can someone tell me how safe is holding high rpms in 6th gear on freeway mechanicaly?
    i never go past 6-7k rpm thats around 140kmh, but if id want to go faster would that be bad for engine, say holding 8-9-10k for longer periods of time, like a an hour?
    i figure kat would burn some oil..?
    sigpic

go for it. you'll run out of license before hurting engine.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

If you are running 10K in 6th you are running REALLY DAMN FAST. Where, other than a track, can you possibly safely do so? By safely I mean for you, others on the road and safe for your wallet as well?

Comment

Originally posted by FJCharlie View Post
        I was wondering can someone tell me how safe is holding high rpms in 6th gear on freeway mechanicaly?
        i never go past 6-7k rpm thats around 140kmh, but if id want to go faster would that be bad for engine, say holding 8-9-10k for longer periods of time, like a an hour?
        i figure kat would burn some oil..?

The engine will operate perfectly fine with proper air cooling. I would not expect any excessive oil burning. The only issues would be already present issues that are making themselves more noticeable.

In other words, it's only going to burn oil if the engine is already burning oil no matter the RPMs.

Speaking from the perspective of going riding at 8-11.5k rpms on a pretty regular basis for long periods on spirited rides.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Mechanically, the engine and bike is designed to handle the sustained 10k rpm operation. The concern is whether or not you have the environment to allow you to operate the bike safely for sustained amount of time.

I commute on my Ninja 250 from Philly to NYC twice a week, on PA & NJ Turnpk, 6-lane highway, lil Ninja can sustain 10-11k rpm operation for 30-40 miles stretch, no problem.

Comment

Ive done 200km/h continous for about an hour with stock sprockets, didnt seem to hurt it.
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
              Ive done 200km/h continous for about an hour with stock sprockets, didnt seem to hurt it.
              Talk about a full tank of gas, out the tail pipe!
              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

yeah , I was home sick and in germany the its totally legal so why not
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                  Where, other than a track, can you possibly safely do so? By safely I mean for you, others on the road and safe for your wallet as well?

He's in Belgrade. While that location has normal speed limits (as far as the webs tell me) there are other European locations that have higher, fluid, or no mandatory speed limits at all.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Going to germany to drive on the autobahn has always been on my bucket list. I've wanted to go over there specifically to rent some kind of exotic car and give her hell... I've since gotten into riding motorcycles, and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to do 200km/h (about 124 mph over here) for an hour straight. Oh man, just thinking about it gets me all hot and bothered inside!!
                    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

lol
                      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I've been on the autobahn. About 15 years ago I was traveling with a couple of German girls from Munich to Dresden in their little Citroen hatchback or something like that. The girl driving turned to me in the back seat and said, "Well, what do you think?"

Me: "About what?"
                        Her: "The autobahn. This is the autobahn."
                        Me: "Oh, is it? That's nice."
                        Her: "We are driving fast."
                        Me: "We're doing 110 kph (70 mph)."
                        Her: "I know! Fast!"
                        Me:

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          He's in Belgrade. While that location has normal speed limits (as far as the webs tell me) there are other European locations that have higher, fluid, or no mandatory speed limits at all.

Krey
                          Saw that but considered that he is at least 7 hours away from the nearest Autobahn.

Also been there, done that, got the t-shirt. When I last saw the speedometer it was at 230kph and climbing in a brand new (at the time) Audi 200 Turbo Quattro. The best part for me was getting easily passed (while were were cruising at 200kph+) by a veritable train of 2 slope nose 930's and 2 Ferrari's who seemed to be but a few feet apart to my 18 year old eyes.

Comment

RPM isn't the engine's enemy as much as heat.

I wouldn't ride around at 10k RPM in first gear for 100 miles, but doing the same in 6th gear provides a lot more air-flow through the oil cooler.

the autobahn works because German drivers use common sense. The person doing 70mph isn't doing it in the left lane, and if she was in the left lane to get around someone going 60 mph, I can promise you she would get out of the way of the set of headlights rapidly growing in her rear-view mirror.

that courtesy is something American drivers seem to completely ignore. My goal while driving is to never cause another driver to need to react to my actions. If I've forced them to tap the brakes, then I shouldn't have pulled into the lane in front of them.
                            -Chris
                            **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

i was aksing about mechanical posibility of hurting the engine in say 10.000rpm holding it for an hour there. I DO NOT RIDE with excessive speeds, tried once how fast can she go, 220kmh and brought her back to 130-140.
                              im kinda allways having that stupid fear of hurting the engine. so i had to ask. tnx guys for so many replies in short time!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X