X

need a little help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a little help

Hi there everyone first post here. Been looking through the threads for a while, finally decided to join. I have a quick question for yall. I've been having trouble getting the bike to start I. Themornings. Not the normal cold start problems(idondon't think). For the past month I've noticed my clutch lever had been getting loose( I would have to move it into just the right place to get it to crank). nd some mornings it would have a problem (while cranking, to turn over) I think I've fixed that part. ( realized I was leaving the prime on at night) but now the past two days in the morning I would go to start it and I'd get nothing ( no crank) Ll lights still work ( yes the kill switch is not engaged) but when I got off work yesterday went straight home and it cranked right up no problems

Does it give you any problems at all once its finally fired up? and what do you mean by the clutch lever has to be in the right spot to crank? as far as that goes take a look at the 2 safety switches around the kickstand and on the underside of the clutch lever...

Comment

The lever for the clutch when I pull it back I've been having to pull it perfetly straight back as in there is some play in the lever

It still won't start even if the bike is in neutral, so the kickstand switches shouldn't be a problem should it
      Last edited by volsfan89; 09-18-2013, 11:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Sounds like you could have a loose/old clutch cable, or a problem with the clutch safety switch. Bypass the clutch safety to see if that fixes the problem.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks ill give that a try when I get home

Comment

The only reason leaving the bike in "prime" would be an issues is if your floats are sticky. Otherwise you can leave the petcock in any position whether you're riding it or its in the garage parked for a week. Crack it to full throttle next time you try to start it and see what happens. It might be flooding overnight because of sticky floats and a leaky petcock. Once its running neither of those problems matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
              Once its running neither of those problems matter.
              Well, except for the massively over richness and running issues you get from the floats not keeping the fuel level correct, or the fuel in the oil that decreases the cooling and increases the wear...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Okay so I've figured out it is the clutch safety switch, now if anyone could give me a step by step on how to bypass it on an 04 that would be amazing... (Warning: I'm somewhat of an electrical idiot) dumbed down version appreciated... Thanks for all the help guys btw yall are the best!

Comment

If it's a pre-98, the wires connect with bullet connectors under the tank and you can bypass it there by disconnecting the bullets from the two leads that go to the clutch.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Its a 2004 btw

Comment

Working...
                    X