X

2002 Katana GSX600F Starting Engine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Katana GSX600F Starting Engine

Hey guys, newbie here to bikes, just picked up my first used bike, the guy who sold it to me started it up no problem a couple of times and rode it around without a problem. I put it up on a trailer and it's been sitting in my garage as I got my learner's permit, registration, etc. I downloaded both the service and owner's manuals and tried to start it up myself but no luck.. I thought maybe one of you can offer me some tips or let me know if I'm doing something wrong I have the fuel valve in the ON position, left-side kick stand is UP, the transmission pedal is shifted into the NEUTRAL (N) position as the GREEN dash light indicates, the key is in the ON position, the RED engine cut-off button is pressed down and the clutch lever is squeezed (DISENGAGED) and when I press the start button, nothing at all happens, no click, no turn over nothing at all, perfect silence.. I checked the 15 amp ignition fuze, it's fine, I tried the valve in the PRI position first for a few seconds then ON, I brought the choke lever down toward me as well, nothing. The only thing I did to the bike since I got it was change the break and clutch levers and pretty sure I did it correctly as both have tension and didn't seem like it was too involved. Please HELP!

Originally posted by surfoutlaw View Post
    The only thing I did to the bike since I got it was change the break and clutch levers and pretty sure I did it correctly as both have tension and didn't seem like it was too involved. Please HELP!
    Did you bypass or reconnect the Clutch Safety Switch? Not something I've ever done as mine was already bypassed, but this comes to mind when you say you switched the controls out... Just an idea, wait for more feedback
    92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

Having switched the levers, it's probably just the clutch safety switch disconnected.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I got two adjustable (levels 1-6) levers one for the break and one for the clutch lever. There didn't seem much to replacing them so I did both myself. I connected everything that was there. I noticed that if I relaxed the adjustment on the clutch lever down from 6, the bike wouldn't start but if I put it all the way back to 6 it did. Must be the way the clutch lever makes contact with that clutch safety switch you guys are mentioning. Any way to adjust that (please be detailed or with diagrams/pics if you can) i just found both the owner manuals and the service manuals online and they are not that descriptive or I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Also, any ideas on a cheap but quiet muffler? Thanks!!

Comment

I don't know about adjusting it. I think most people just bypass them once they start giving problems, and I don't blame them. Last thing you want is the bike trying to kill itself(and maybe you) while rompin down the freeway!

As for exhaust.... Stock is probably as quiet as you will get, though I could be very wrong about that. There is tons of choices for aftermarket exhaust, find a few you might like and YouTube em'! Price depends on brands and whether your going for a slip on can or the entire Header/Can system!
          92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

sounds like you could use a clutch adjustment, since the adjustments on the levers is only working at one point it may not be disengaging enough
            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
            X