X

Katana gets a bad rap, I aim to clarify

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana gets a bad rap, I aim to clarify

I have spent the past hour sorting through pictures trying to find ideas for the paint job on my lower fairing (I have a thread on my progress) and I came across a neat picture of a 750 while trying to find a solid picture of the fairing to start sketching. The Kat has what looks to be a tour pack of sorts. http://www.xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2784
    Unfortunately, the general attitude about our beloved Kats is not so great. Slow, "drives like a tank", "fake" sportbike. . . .

Some of the things that are said are somewhat true. The Kats are heavier than what some would like. They "drive like a tank". . bla bla bla. . .

Let's go back 25 years. Anyone remember the early 80's gs series bikes? Guess what, they still exist. You can still find an 82 gs 650 ex cruising the streets with the out of style gold outlined maroon gas tanks. Furthermore, if you ever owned one of these series bikes, you came to find out that they are just shy of BULLETPROOF. In my words, STURDY!!!

Now back to our Kats. Suzuki has more than outdone themselves by producing the fastest manufactured motorcycle, Hayabusa (busa busa buuuusssaaaaahh ), which by the way comes from the GSX line of motorcycles. The stock gsx 600 runs a 12 second quarter mile, which isn't bad.

So let's see, GSX series (KATS),
    Pros: sturdy, smooth handling (even into the triple digit speeds), easy control, faster than most cars on the road, up to 50 MPG, user friendly construction makes for easy repairs, wide array of gsx series means more availability and cheaper cost on parts, more compartment space than ANY other sport bike I've seen, more comfortable seating.... and I'm sure 30,000 Katriders members can add so many more

(Note: comfortable sport bike, acceleration lag (compared to some other sport bikes), easy handling and simple maintenance are all good reasons beginner and intermediate riders enjoy a Kat)

Cons: Doesn't handle like a "real" sport bike, lacks acceleration COMPARED to other 600, 650, 750 cc sportbikes. . . . can't think of any thing else really...

Conclusion:
    Kats are the perfect balance of comfort and speed. Give up a little pep to get a very reliable bike and go for 200 mile rides. Get the cruiser if you want comfort, get the Busa (the ONLY sport bike) if you want speed. get the SPORT TOURING bike if you are trying to find the balance, Katana.

HATERS

I agree. They're very practical and fun to ride, and I gave up long ago caring what anyone else thinks of it...especially since 99% of people who bash it have probably never ridden one
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

Comment

This subject is like beating a dead horse.

Like I always say, if we all liked the same thing, we would be married to the same girl, ride the same bike, driver the same car and own the same dog. I have also found out in the bike world that the "haters" will be there no matter what bike you own, your stuff is always not good enough for someone.. So don't get wrapped up in the BS
      Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Originally posted by kat600rdr View Post
        I have also found out in the bike world that the "haters" will be there no matter what bike you own, your stuff is always not good enough for someone.. So don't get wrapped up in the BS
        This is applies to everything in life.

Comment

Yea yea, true true. Don't get me wrong, I can take criticism, it was late and I was perturbed because that post had a general attitude that Katanas were "trying" to pose as a sport bike. So i just wrote up something clarifying what a sport touring bike means. Suzuki motorsports all the way.

I went to Iron Pony over the weekend and Yamaha was there running demos on the new line. They tried to get me to sign up to test drive the R1 and I told them I don't cheat on my Suzuki.

Comment

Originally posted by ike0909 View Post
            ... Hayabusa (busa busa buuuusssaaaaahh )
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by ike0909 View Post
              Yea yea, true true. Don't get me wrong, I can take criticism, it was late and I was perturbed because that post had a general attitude that Katanas were "trying" to pose as a sport bike. So i just wrote up something clarifying what a sport touring bike means. Suzuki motorsports all the way.

I went to Iron Pony over the weekend and Yamaha was there running demos on the new line. They tried to get me to sign up to test drive the R1 and I told them I don't cheat on my Suzuki.
              I wasnt trying to bash your post in any way. I just figured i'd sway the conversation away from the "Why do people on RR bikes put us down or my kat can hang with a R1 etc and 2 pages of people disagreeing with each other

I like my suzuki, but I would of ridden the new R1
              Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Originally posted by kat600rdr View Post
                I wasnt trying to bash your post in any way. I just figured i'd sway the conversation away from the "Why do people on RR bikes put us down or my kat can hang with a R1 etc and 2 pages of people disagreeing with each other

I like my suzuki, but I would of ridden the new R1
                Oh no no, I didn't take it that way. its a conversation.

Comment

I don't like hardly driveables.....I DO like my GSX750F...lol
                  I'm outa here

Comment

All my boyz who got busa all say they love the katana even though they know the can leave me at a sec of dime they still ride with the katana so I must say same damn what other have to think katanas are the shit ..

Comment

My Katana is the fastest bike I've ever owned.
                      My Bikes/Current: 1989 Suzuki Katana 750, 1980 Honda CB900C, 1973 Suzuki TS100, 2007 Yamaha Vino. Former: 1981 Honda CB650, 1982 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim, 2001 Yamaha V-Star, 1980 Yamaha 400, 19?? Suzuki Madura, 1974 Triumph T140E.

Comment

The bike is like a baby busa if the right things are done to it - not all of us want to ride a tiny, skinny little bike w/ nothing to it and go 250 mph - the sturdiness of this bike was unmatched on anything else I've ridden - with still a very tight, fast styling. Have it LOWERED - its even better - can't wait to get my stretch on....

Comment

Originally posted by mstreet1978 View Post
                          The bike is like a baby busa if the right things are done to it - not all of us want to ride a tiny, skinny little bike w/ nothing to it and go 250 mph - the sturdiness of this bike was unmatched on anything else I've ridden - with still a very tight, fast styling. Have it LOWERED - its even better - can't wait to get my stretch on....

So much wrong with this post.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

thats why i got mine; the balance and i love her. too bad i have to let her go now

Comment

Some one should turbo charge a b12 on a kat and on the paint job airbrush kan-a-tuna my ass. lol I cant afford to do it

Comment

Working...
                              X