Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

cant use center stand. what can i use in the mean time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant use center stand. what can i use in the mean time?

Hello
    I would like to lift up the back end of my 2000 gsxf 600 project bike and i was wondering how could i do it without the center stand? There is a tiny bit of rust i just cant get to with the swingarm in the way. Its tiny but im addressing it now.

Thanks to one of my other hobbies, archery, i have to lay off the heavy weights on my right shoulder. I tried but my shoulder sounded like popcorn. Hahahaha sorry for being a lameass thanks for reading
    Last edited by Conor1148; 08-16-2012, 08:17 PM.

I use a carefully placed jack as I don't have a center stand lol.
    1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
    1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
    Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

i figured a well positioned block of wood and a floor jack would do the trick, just wanted to be sure.

Comment

2x4 under the sidestand and a jack under the frame on the right side. I place the jack first to avoid standing the bike up too tall on the sidestand and having it fall over to the right. Just raise the jack so it touches the frame, then place the 2x4. If you still need to raise the bike after that then go back to the jack and give it another inch or so.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I've heard of people using ratchet straps through the roof framing in their garage and wrapping around the tail frame tubes with the seat removed.
          My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

use a floor jack and a piece of wood. jack that basteeee//rd. slowly .......
            im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Trees and ratchet straps can be your friend......
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                Trees and ratchet straps can be your friend......
                sorry for bringing a old thread back.just can't help my self.:bunny2

Comment

Originally posted by ratgti View Post
                  use a floor jack and a piece of wood. jack that basteeee//rd. slowly .......
                  However you approach this make sure you dont put yourself in harms way

make sure the jack holds ,doesnt leak down

I used a upsided down pail for my dirt bike for years UNTIL it fell off and nearly hurt me really bad
                  I had to scream till the wife heard me because it pinned me and I couldnt get my arms in to position to push it off
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by the wind View Post
                    sorry for bringing a old thread back.just can't help my self.:bunny2
                    Don't ask me how I knew.....
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I just used a jack and 2 jack stands to swap my rear shock an it worked wonderfully. I usually just use a jack under the shock to pick it up enough to spin the wheel (lube the chain etc) but with a jack stand on either side where the lower front section of the frame bolts (2 bolts) to the rest (by the foot pegs) it actually cradles it quite nicely an solid. I had it up in my uneven driveway for hours with some wicked winds an me breaking bolts free with no problem or mini heart attacks lol. I had my wife jack it up pretty high as I balanced it an she positioned the stands.

Last edited by crazycraven420; 04-06-2013, 09:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

when i had no centerstand i used a 8"x8"x16" cinder block and a 2x4. a 2x6 would be safer, set the bike where the centerstand mounts.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                          I just used a jack and 2 jack stands to swap my rear shock an it worked wonderfully. I usually just use a jack under the shock to pick it up enough to spin the wheel (lube the chain etc) but with a jack stand on either side where the lower front section of the frame bolts (2 bolts) to the rest (by the foot pegs) it actually cradles it quite nicely an solid. I had it up in my uneven driveway for hours with some wicked winds an me breaking bolts free with no problem or mini heart attacks lol. I had my wife jack it up pretty high as I balanced it an she positioned the stands.

I like that technique, providing there are two people around.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                          X