X

MSF.... now what? (IL)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSF.... now what? (IL)

Hey guys, I took the MSF course a while ago. 3 months I think, i havent taken it to the DMV yet or anything mostly because my Kat isnt running just yet. Right now I'm pretty much just fixing up my kat, but I want to be legal too. I have my license, I took the MSF, and I'm below 18. Do I need to get a permit? or do I just take a test? I'm not too sure what I'm supposed to do yet. I'd appreciate some help and advice from someone more experienced than me at this.

If you took the BRC you should have received a voucher to bypass the road test.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You need to go to the dmv, bring the papers you received from your msf class as this should wave the riding test at the dmv. you will just need to take a written test at the dmv which takes 5 minutes, once you pass that you should be able to receive your full motorcycle license.

Comment

Pretty much what the other's said. It's also kind of up to the state where you live and have your license. In Pennsylvania, after I took the MSF, I didn't have to do anything. I was required to already have a permit to take the MSF course. When I completed that, they sent paperwork in to the state, and I received a class M "update card" in the mail. It would be worth making a call to the DMV to check for your particular situation.

Also, if you took the MSF on the course supplied 250cc bikes, then you should realize that they are not like your Kat. The 250's don't have power, and their brakes suck, comparatively. Take it slow and easy on your kat at first, and definitely try doing some stuff in a parking lot to learn things like how the brakes are.

Also, probably the biggest thing I could stress to a new rider is to avoid target fixation. 4 of the 5 times I've seen someone go down on a group ride, it was target fixation. One of those times, the person went down in mid corner right in front of me, and at first my vision was drawn to him sliding and the sparks coming off his bike. I reminded myself about the target fixation and looked through the turn so I wouldn't follow him and run him over as I ran off the road. Looking through the turn, I made it through, then slammed the brakes on and parked on the shoulder and ran back to my friend.

Take it easy, have fun riding and learning, and ride safe!

Comment

i just finished my MSF as well in IL. i was with the understanding that you take the msf card you get mailed to you down to the dmv and get your updated license. Im trying to remember what the instructor said about being under 18 tho. i think you had to be 18 to just get a license off the MSF card

Comment

"Applicants under age 18 who present an IDOT Motorcycle Rider Course Student Completion Card must still take the drive exam. Applicable fees and acceptable identification are required."

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...id.html#mcylic

"A 24-month instruction permit for a Class M license may be issued to an applicant under age 18 only after successful completion of an approved driver education course and successful completion of an IDOT Motorcycle Rider Education Course."

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_x140.pdf PAGE 4
            Last edited by scheib; 07-15-2012, 02:42 PM.

Comment

In pa they endorse your permit and send the paper work to the state for you
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I love alabama's test. Took the written test passed it and got a full motorcycle license without a driving part. I've been riding bikes for years but alabama just makes it a little too easy

Comment

thanks for the help guys... looks like i still gotta take a idot cource and still have to take the driving exam... oh well, i'll hopefully pass. Thanks guys.

Comment

I'm quite a noob too. I don't know anything about US licence requirements so can't help there, but once you are on the road and have the basics down go sign up for "Race" training...you will learn, first-hand, how to ride properly and that there is a tremendous difference riding on a track vs the road. That's what I did after reading the same kinds of recommendations that the expert bike riders gave...they should know!
                    sigpic"Ya hafta stop to get a drink once in a while" - WalkRunRide.

Comment

Also be sure to contact your insurance company... they usually give a nice lil discount on your premiums for being a graduated MSF'r. LOL.
                      "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!" - Tolstoy

Comment

Working...
                      X