X

My first real ride today!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first real ride today!

So, I finally completed the M1 exit safety course, got the safety and insurance for my bike, and rode for the first time today I was riding solo through Paris, Brantford and Cambridge and put on about 110 kms. Riding my own bike through the country was one of the greatest feelings! Better than I could have imagined when I started this venture I am still a little nervous riding in the city, and haven't quite got the smooth gear selection down, but I am assuming that will come in time? Any tips or thread suggestions would be great! I am hoping that the more I practice the more I will improve, until everything comes second nature I find I am still thinking a lot about what my hands and feet are doing.

PS - No newb bashing, please I am excited and enjoying myself, and I am learning just like all of you once were
    Christine
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

sigpic

Instead of telling someone who rides a motorcycle how dangerous it is -- LOOK TWICE before switching lanes, making turns, or pulling out of a drive way. Stay on your side of the road, especially in corners. Don't FOLLOW too closely; bikes can stop faster than cars can. Keep your eyes on the road and off your cell phones. If you care about someone who rides a motorcycle, please repost

Congrats
    Just like you said practice practice practice
    and ride like people cant see you or want to run you over

Comment

Congrats! It will take a little time to get everything in sync but it will happen.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

dont worry about the guy behind you
        concentrate on the person in front of them !! YOU BTW

I find that car as well as bike riders worry to much about the vehicle behind them and sometimes it can effect the their forward judgement
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Thanks, guys. I am so thrilled! I was definitely cautious today. I can't wait to get more practice time in and keep improving my skill and confidence levels. What a great feeling of elation and freedom!
          Christine

sigpic

Instead of telling someone who rides a motorcycle how dangerous it is -- LOOK TWICE before switching lanes, making turns, or pulling out of a drive way. Stay on your side of the road, especially in corners. Don't FOLLOW too closely; bikes can stop faster than cars can. Keep your eyes on the road and off your cell phones. If you care about someone who rides a motorcycle, please repost

Comment

Congrats
            Ride like it's your last ride
            sigpic

Comment

I think I'm moved to say, "Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a gas, gas, gas!"

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Can't remember where I heard it, but "ride like a bunny rabbit". Stay focused, and always look out for ANYTHING that could get in your way and cause a problem. Keep practicing the basics, and maybe take an advanced riding course if they have them up there. The other piece of GREAT advice I got when I was new is to simply slow down. The time you get from slowing down 5 MPH could mean the difference between crapping your pants and 6 weeks in the hospital (especially in traffic).

Other than that, enjoy it! I think EVERYONE here has had the same feeling you have. It's what keeps us coming back.

Comment

Nothing like being on two wheels. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats.!!
                    2006 GSX 750F Black Kat

Comment

grats Christine ! , first ride is always great
                      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

just remember enjoy the bike and ride within your comfort zone, make everything as smooth as possible and the rest will follow.

Comment

Practice, practice! I feel kind of funny out riding around by myself with no place to go, but I guess that's the best way to learn!
                          Christine

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cwalmsley View Post
                            Practice, practice! I feel kind of funny out riding around by myself with no place to go, but I guess that's the best way to learn!
                            Pretty much......it's a learning curve, and you never stop learning.
                            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Congrats!!! Sometimes a ride with no place to go is the best kind of ride.
                              Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way turn.

2001 Katana 600
                              2007 Honda Reflex
                              1992 Ninja ZX7

Comment

Working...
                              X