X

2004 Kat 600, 3 questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Kat 600, 3 questions

A. Could someone please explain the 3 left side fuel switches. There are three. RES, ON, and PRI. I need to know when and what to set it at.

B. Ive been using PRI when I drive, and setting it to RES when I am walking away for more than a minute when engine has been turned off, if I leave it on PRI for longer than a few mins fuel leaks onto the ground. I lost some gas this way, good thing it gets good mpg lol.

2. where can I get a manual in person? Rather than online.

3. How many mpg are you guys averaging? I'm using 93. That's good right?

Sorry for the noOb stuff
    Last edited by Nasdaq; 06-11-2012, 07:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

1. ON and RES only let fuel flow to the engine when it's running via vaccum. PRI opens up the fuel valve to "always on". It should be pointed down in the ON position for 99% of the time. RES only when the fuel in the tanks gets lower than the ON fuel pickup (basically when it starts sputtering in the ON position). PRI should only be used when the carb bowls are dry, ie. after sitting for a long time. Even then, no more than a minute. If you're leaking fuel in PRI, then you need to replace the float needles in the carbs.

2. I doubt you'd find a manual in a motorcycle shop anymore, but there are plenty of haynes manuals you can order.....the one online is a Haynes.

3. 93 is overkill, but it won't hurt anything. Some people get better mileage on 87. It's designed for 87, and that's why I use. Works great, and I save some money.

good luck!

Comment

Damn have I caused any damage do you think riding it around for a day with it on PRI??? So res is if it runs low on gas or?

Comment

No, you haven't caused any damage, unless you let it sit for a while on prime with it leaking, and it fills the oil with fuel. You should check to see if the oil smells like gas. You may be able to get away with just cleaning the float needles and seats. If money isn't a problem, but time is, get them to replace them when you take the carbs apart. If you have more time than money, pull the carbs and float bowls and check the needles, and possibly try cleaning them first.

The fuel switch only controls when fuel flows from the tank. The only way it can hurt anything is flooding the engine when not running and letting fuel get into the motor oil, which really thins it out if there is enough gas getting in there. Then the oil isn't doing it's job properly, and could be overly full.

The manuals available on here are pretty nice. At least, the one I got for my 06 600 Kat.

Comment

I noticed my oil is overfill. I just got it friday. What should I tell the dealer. It's still under warranty and I don't wanna say anything wrong and result in them not covering it. Thanks for ur help

How much does it costs to get the needles replaced and carb cleaned out, almost like a carburetor tune up? If there is such a thing. Like avg figure I should pay? I did leave it in PRI, don't wanna say the wrong thing
          Last edited by Nasdaq; 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It shouldn't overflow or leak into the engine when it's set to PRI, so your warranty should cover it. First thing though is to take off the oil filler cap and smell the inside to see if you smell gas. If it does, then they need to get an oil change too...

Comment

Ok. Thank you so much

Comment

I have changed my float carbs 2 months ago and as per repair manual advise always must be ON position.
                PRI position just when carbs don't have gas.
                If you leave on PRI there is no vaccum anymore and fuel goes directly for the carbs so if you have float probelms ( with good float's they stop the fule pass) the cube will overflow and gas will dow to cylinders can you imagine if you start the engine what will happen??
                Check the manual about the position and you'll understand what I mean because my english its horrible.
                Please take the necessary actions to always drive under ON position or RES position

Comment

Working...
                X