Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did I do wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by lanerw View Post
    120/70/17 in the front
    160/60/17 in the rear

    As far as what tires to get the PR2 or 3 are highly recommended. I have a set of conti motions on their way (just because of the lower cost).
    So these are the correct size for my bike (2005 - 600cc)? I wonder why there is a different size rear on there now?

    Thanks. I'll order some new ones as soon as I nail down the size.

    Comment


    • #17
      You can also use a 150/70 in the rear which, IMO, gives a better profile than a 160/60.
      Last edited by 05RedKat600; 04-03-2012, 10:59 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
        Well, I was riding back to work after lunch and made the same turn I've made about 100 times. It's just a normal left turn from one street to another, nothing fancy.

        For some reason, the back end started sliding out on me. I noticed I was going a little faster than normal, but nothing crazy. I was within what I felt were my limits. My lean angle was a little steeper than normal, perhaps from the extra speed. I could feel the back tire starting to walk around and for some reason, I hit the gas. The bike hooked up and I was able to complete the turn with nothing more than a big scare.

        What are you supposed to do in that situation?

        That was scary!
        Not sure how much gas you added when the rear broke away, but its good you stayed on the gas, a sudden chop off of throttle would of transfered the weight forward (taking weight off the rear tire) and made it worse. Glad to hear the rubber side stayed down and your ok.
        Last edited by Jman2343; 04-03-2012, 10:41 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          sliding is fun

          Comment


          • #20
            Glad to hear your enjoying your bike.
            I too have encountered this problem a few times turning left and crossing cross walk paint lines.

            I actually want to know what to do in this situation. I feel like too much gas should end in a low side while not enough; a high side.

            Does anyone know the proper way to handle this aside from well wishing?
            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
              Glad to hear your enjoying your bike.
              I too have encountered this problem a few times turning left and crossing cross walk paint lines.

              I actually want to know what to do in this situation. I feel like too much gas should end in a low side while not enough; a high side.

              Does anyone know the proper way to handle this aside from well wishing?
              Smash the gas and drift.

              Have you ever ridden a 2 stroke dirt bike?
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

              Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

              Comment


              • #22
                sounds like you did everything right...even if you didn't know you were doing it. One thing that I catch myself doing periodically is "crossing over" the bike in turns (body position). It's the wrong body position that unnecessarily increases lean angle, and could possibly cause the situation you described.

                It's hard to describe, but you shouldn't find yourself pushing the bike down under you. If anything, your upper body should move so your helmet is centered on the bike, or moved towards the mirror on the inside of the turn.

                I'm not saying that is what caused your experience, but it could have. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....
                Last edited by indianboy7; 04-04-2012, 12:11 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  So just to clairify before I spend $300 on tires. The stock sizes are:

                  160/60-17 (Front)
                  120/70-17 (Rear)

                  Originally posted by 05RedKat600
                  You can also use a 150/70 in the rear which, IMO, gives a better profile than a 160/60.
                  Is this a common change over stock and is it recommended over the stock size?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
                    So just to clairify before I spend $300 on tires. The stock sizes are:

                    160/60-17 (Front)
                    120/70-17 (Rear)



                    Is this a common change over stock and is it recommended over the stock size?
                    No.

                    120/70 is the front, 150/70 is stock rear. Someone already put a 160/60 on the rear of yours apparently.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Oops, I put that backwards.

                      So do I want to stay with the 160/60-17 that's on there now, or go back to stock at 150/70-17.

                      I'm confused.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        go with the 150/70-17

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                          Someone already put a 160/60 on the rear of yours apparently.
                          And actually went with the crappy Macadams AGAIN.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

                          Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by indianboy7 View Post
                            go with the 150/70-17
                            Ah,

                            I already ordered the 160/60-17 rear. Hopefully that doesn't cause an issue. I had to put down a deposit since it was special order so I doubt I can cancel now. On a good not, I was able to get them to match the online price I found, but mounting these darn things is expensive.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              It's not a big deal, and if you're already used to the 160 profile you should be OK. It's just a taller more rounded, but have a smaller contact patch on the road.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                                Smash the gas and drift.

                                +1

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X