Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Why am I not comfortable taking corners at speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I not comfortable taking corners at speed?

I've never had any formal training (maybe that's the answer), I pretty much hopped on the bike and went. I've ridden probably 2000 miles since I got it in June, the 'tuna being my first bike.

I've noticed, and tried unsuccessfully to correct, that I don't seem comfortable taking speeds as fast as the bike 'should be able to'. For comparison, I generally take every corner about 5mph slower than in my stock-suspensioned 4-door Jetta. The bike feels like it can handle much faster, but I feel like I'm missing something ... I panic, and instinctively grab for the brake, which obviously makes things even worse because the bike pops back up out of any lean I did have going. I'd assume these bikes should be able to take any given dry turn faster than a bog-standard sedan.

I do 'push' the opposite grip when I turn. Maybe I'm not leaning enough? Is it my posture? Maybe my weight transfer? I'm a big guy, I can move the 'tuna around pretty easily.

Please help me figure out what I'm missing

Same exact thing here.. except I'm a small guy.. looking forward to some wizards answering this one.

Comment

i regularly push 2x the posted speed in corners on the kat. good suspension, tires and practice will take you there. that being said, lean and believe! throttle through, look where you wont to go, " way a head". counter steer. dont be scare to get your head out from between the mirrors. practice,practice,practice and read up on tecnics of riding and stay of the brakes in the corners.

watch his foot, body position and where he is looking way a head. listen to the motor, he never hits the brakes only accelarates.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/4894928"]http://vimeo.com/4894928[/ame]
      "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
      1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
      2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

its perfectly normal to feel that way after only 2000 miles. and youre actually doing it right by not riding faster than you feel is comfortable. Put another 10 000 miles on that thing and you will be ok. riding a lot and regularly is number 1 for feeling comfortable on a bike.

that being said go sign up for a MSF course. and if you have tracks nearby do some trackdays.

I ride my bike daily and 2000 miles is what I ride during 2 weeks in the summer. I do trackdays and I feel really comfortable on my bike.

But even with all of that if I do a 300 mile trip the first 50 miles and the last 50 miles are totally different. So is the ride home from the track after a trackday vs ride to the track.

experience counts a lot , bad suspension and cupped tires count a lot less.

I often ride with RR friends that have 15+ years of experience on the bike. But since they have kids and ride 1/10 of what I do they still feel tense doing turns at the same speed.
        Last edited by mammut89; 10-20-2011, 02:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I never accepted a job in my life without being educated on how to do it successfully, and would certainly never do so if my life was on the line. Take the MSF course, study You Tube videos, and learn from friends. Advanced rider courses will also help. 2000 miles is not enough to expect to be Rossi. Take your time, do it safely, and remember that it NOT about trying to achieve a high lean angle. Over time, you'll find that your confidence will build.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

All the good advice above, and what will follow, assumes you are following rule number two...
            Never ride in a way that makes you feel unsafe. Its awsone you want to progress your skill sets, he!! Yeah. Just remember its always better to run through 20 times pushing a mile a lap even than going in 5 to hot and streetfightering it lmao...

Now, saftey aside, like most workout/training, the right tunes can really pull you "there" mentally. And like everything on a bike, its all about where your heads at... aside from all the body posture, suspension questions (are you running stock equipment? Stock settings? If your a big guy they may not be enough for you to feel some extra "confidence" in the bottom, happens to me at 6'3" 240lbs till I turn them up on some bikes. Kat, idk yet...) experience to grow, that's the most usefull tip I could giv. Just be safe about it, have fun with it, and learn the easy way. Oh, and depending on the turn/how much pressure your talking, try less "turn" more "lean"... one of the best things about the bike over the cage man, its a dance... gotta drive it with your body. I would say like a woman, but still looking for one that handles as smooth as a bike!

Comment

Two big contributers are suspension and tires. If the suspension isn't set up correctly, and the tires are crap you aren't going to get the feedback you need to be comfortable on the bike.

A good first step is to set your static sag, then check the date code on the sneaks.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Another thing of considerable note is: GEAR - always wear proper riding gear - shorts and flip flops won't cut it in the event of a mishap. Being properly suited up will also help bolster your "confidence", as you 'll feel protected. Take your time, as the others have stated, ride your own ride, and have fun doing it!
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Although if you look at the picture of me in the avatar, I didn't just hop on and do that. Although there some that have. I've been learning for close to 8 years and a trip to the rally is like an intense training session.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You've only been riding for half a season, Rome wasn't built in a day.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

This is all good advice, and I'm learning also, but we just have one corner in West Texas.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                        This is all good advice, and I'm learning also, but we just have one corner in West Texas.
                        that must be the one leaving your drive way.
                        "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                        1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                        2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Watch Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code.

Don't try to watch it all at once. (It's as tedious as building a match stick house)
                          But, the end result is, that "The Man" is the best at what he does.

Infact, he is routinely contracted to provide technical riding support, to many of the current MotoGP teams.

See this interview with Keith about the Scientology of riding.

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2011/keith-code-superbike-scientology

Additionally,
                          if there are open track days in your area, take advantage of them.
                          Having all traffic move in the same direction certainly inspires confidence.

It's amazing how much confidence you'll have when you eliminate the distracts of a public road.

IE;

Cars
                          Kids
                          Dogs
                          Seniors
                          Mail Boxes
                          Light poles
                          Skunks
                          Tractor Trailers
                          Ditches
                          (you get my point)
                          Last edited by BobKat2002; 10-20-2011, 09:53 AM. Reason: Removed torrent link
                          "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            a trip to the rally is like an intense training session.

Comment

Originally posted by insta View Post

I do 'push' the opposite grip when I turn. Maybe I'm not leaning enough? Is it my posture? Maybe my weight transfer? I'm a big guy, I can move the 'tuna around pretty easily.

Please help me figure out what I'm missing
                              I'm not sure what you mean by the "opposite grip"...... I've never thought about what I do, but in my mind's eye I seem to "push down" on the grip to where I want to go...... as in if I want to bank right, I shift my weight right and push harder on the right and relax my left. I need to get out for a ride and analize what I do.... never thought about it before.
                              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                              ------------------------------------------
                              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X