X

Longer Distance Rides

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer Distance Rides

I am fairly new to motorcycling (off and on for 2 years). My longest ride so far is 150 miles without stopping. I have a ticket for a game 392 miles aways that I would really like to get to but won't have access to a car like I normally would take. I would have about 5 hours to make this drive so I don't think I could stop for much more than just fueling up. Is this a bad idea? Any tips to make it easier or should I just call it off?

How did you feel after doing 150 miles? Doing double+ first time out may be a bad idea. Generally, every time you stop to fuel ~ 125-140 miles, you should get off, stretch, hydrate and then continue on. If you are steadfast in doing the ride, I suggest taking some aspirin or tylenol BEFORE you start the ride, air up your tires for the sustained high speed, and I assume you are going to spend the night there, after the game, as I doubt you'd have the stamina to do the return leg safely. One other item of note - if you don't use ear plugs, get some and use them on this lengthy ride - Walgreens carries Hearos Wind roar does add to the fatigue factor, and it will be one less thing to diminish your focus and attention on the road.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Let's see, 392 miles / 5 hours = 78.2 mph including periods when you'll be going 0 mph as you gas up, stretch and lose the used coffee. You're going to have to average almost 90 mph while moving. Now add the time you're liable to spend chatting with a friendly Utah State Highway Patrolman and you're up to 110-115 mph except that now that patrolman isn't going to be writing you a ticket, he's going to be impounding your bike and giving you a free night's lodging while you wait on bail. See where I'm going with this?

Planning to go flat-out for 5 hours straight is asking for trouble. If you're going to make that trip you need to give yourself at least 6 1/2 hours. 7 would be better just in case there's any traffic, construction, accidents or you just need to take a long break once or twice. I generally figure on no better than 60 mph average including gas stops. 50 mph on the east coast.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

good points. It takes about 4.5 hours going 5mph over the limit in a car, granted my car will make it on 1 tank of gas which saves a lot of time. I guess I will settle to watch the game on my laptop again

Comment

^ i'm with him the game is just a game and and less important than your life or not getting a speeding ticket. i'd say try to leave early and go at a pace that is comfortable. also stop and smell the roses when you feel like it. also take the long way. find the twistiest road you can find that leads in that general direction and take that road and it will be the most fun you have ever had on a motorcycle. PS be prepaired for night riding and rain. and pretty much anything else that could happen. but the important part is go at a pace you feel comfortable with and leave early.
          Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
          Tony
          94 Katana 600

Comment

Are you going to sell the tickets if you don't go? Who is going to be inconvenienced if you try and don't succeed? Are you going to have to ride back the same night?

I say if it is a no loss situation, then give it a try, but with a promise to yourself that if you don't think you can do it safely, then you will take a break, get a room, or do whatever necessary to make sure you stay safe.

392 miles, in 5 hours. Just fueling on the bike, you are looking at about 3 stops, at about 10 minutes a piece. That means you are looking at 392 miles in 4.5 hours. That gives you an average speed of 87MPH. That's not, you have to cruise at 87, that's you have to AVERAGE 87.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

^+1 It's do-able if you leave early enough....... just get a room for after the game.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                ...That gives you an average speed of 87MPH. That's not, you have to cruise at 87, that's you have to AVERAGE 87.
                Good math but that's what, 17 over the speed limit? "AVERAGE" Now factor in the time spent talking to an LEO or two.

You didn't say what the tickets are for. How long is the game going to last? Would it be worth just getting there late? You could probably make it in 6 hours without taking too many risks. That'd be an hour into the game, maybe arriving about half-time?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I've made a trip from Allentown to pitsburgh with out trouble but always plan on a hiccup and also bring a tool kit that is large enough to handle ANY situation. Be able to remove a wheel and replace a tire or replace a busted fuel line. It may sound daunting but it's better to be safe than sorry. Have a few extra bucks just in case. Have a back up plan (ie friends w a pu truck) on notice just in case. Other than that, the trip is just a ride. Leave early enough that u don't have to rush or push it. Time is the most valuable tool u can have!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    Good math but that's what, 17 over the speed limit? "AVERAGE" Now factor in the time spent talking to an LEO or two.
                    The only major Provo I remember is Utah, and I remember Utah doing 80MPH speed limits in that part of the state on I-15.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Can be done but you're going to be cutting it way too close for comfort and safety.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                        The only major Provo I remember is Utah, and I remember Utah doing 80MPH speed limits in that part of the state on I-15.
                        That's a game changer. With an 80 mph limit I'd figure on 70-75 mph average for the trip. Call it 72.5 for the math and you get 5.4 hours for the trip.Still won't get you there for the game (don't forget time to park, etc.) but it might get you there for enough of the game to be worth it depending on how big a fan you are.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I'd say maybe if you had a partner or two that were riding along side of you for the trip, but without there's a lot of stuff that can go wrong leaving you stranded. For me being a rookie, murphy's law always seems to go in effect throughout my life so I tend to stay prepared regardless of circumstance. If I were in your shoes I'd say stub hub those tickets, make a profit and spend the day cruising around town at home.
                          If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got.

Comment

If it were me I'd just leave earlier and go for it. I find my average speed to hover right around 65-70mph (stops every 100-150miles for quick fuel up and a cig). That's with my GPS reading 5mph over the posted speed limits. The distance would be no problem since I usually complete that many miles before lunch when riding cross country.
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes, a large portion of Utah between Vegas and Provo has an 80 mph limit (they call it test sections). When I have driven there (haven't ridden out in those parts yet) I have very rarely seen LEOs and kept it pretty close to 90. However that's driving a '94 pickup truck, and when you're behind Escalades and Expeditions doing over 90 an old pickup doesn't look all that fast -a Katana or other sporty bike will look fast even if you're going slower than the other guys. Also there is construction on I15 when you get close to Provo with 55mph zones (which are normally 65 in those areas anyway) so the speed limit probably ends up evening itself out
                              Gib mir Benzin
                              Es fliesst durch meine Venen
                              Es schlaeft in meinen Traenen
                              Es laeuft mir aus den Ohren
                              Herz und Nieren sind Motoren [rammstein]

Comment

Working...
                              X