X
X

So you wanna get a sport bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i never been on a dirtbike and started out on a katana 750 as my first bike, haven't fallen or messed up once yet, am i one of the luck ones?

Comment

it`s not our riding thats the question...it`s the dumbasses that dont take the time to see us..i have led`s all around,loud *** d&d slip..and the fukkers still do it..keep ur eyes open..safe driving to ya

Comment

My first street bike was a 1984 VF500F (bought in early 1985). It had about 50 horsepower and all of my friends thought that thing was murderously fast and extremely dangerous. Thank God we didn't have 600cc sportbikes that nearly triple that number or I would have died in the 80s wearing a Flock of Seaguls haircut (Joke for you old guys). There are plenty of bikes with which a newb can learn and still have plenty of power. For example, that new 300 Ninja seems awesome; cheap on gas, plenty powerful and even has ABS available for less than $5K.

If you're not mature enough to ignore peer pressure regarding the type of bike you ride, you're not mature enough to control the throttle either.
        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Started on a 150cc scooter, went to a 600 Kat, then to a 620 Ducati Monster. When I got bored with the Monster I really wanted a Ducati 999s superbike... even went with cash in hand to the Duc dealer and rode the bike of my dreams. In the end I opted out of the 999 but did get an S4R Monster, which has the old 996cc engine. Even though the bike was very fast, the V-twin power was very predictable and manageable. Also the ergos were very familiar to me, coming from the 620. I owned that S4R for almost two years and recently traded it for an '05 GSX-R 1000 plus some cash. It was a move I made for financial reasons, and frankly I planned to flip the bike shortly after the trade. Instead, I'm in love with it.

I'll ride it for a while and see what happens, but I know this much: I'm sooooooo glad I started on the slower 600cc bikes. I'm very comfortable on the gixxer but still have a healthy respect for the machine. I'm a responsible rider, and I still got myself into trouble on the Kat a couple times, and a time or two on the S4R. I learned from those mistakes. I can't imagine making those mistakes on a machine like this Gixxer.
          Originally posted by katanawarrior
          I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

People should be careful of how they define "slow" cuz someone who doesn't understand or know better will be guided in the wrong direction.
            That said, anything with 2 wheels and a motor can get you hurt. I've been riding dirtbikes of all sizes since I was nine and my first road bike was a 72' Yamaha R5, a 2cylinder 2stroke. It was a whole 'nother world. Took a few years from riding an got back riding with my kat. I wouldn't call it slow, but it's clearly not the fastest. All you guys riding liter+ bikes are basically like comparing a Ferrari to a Mustang GT. They are both "fast" and respected in certain crowds but clearly not comparable to a Honda crx (stock lol) now the Honda crx is slow and gives you the chance to learn how to handle shit (shifting, clutching, starting, stopping etc).
            I can honestly say I don't NEED anything faster at this point in my life, we all WANT bigger and better but sometimes the wife, wallet or conscience stopping us is a good thing
            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

i started out on my uncles hyabusa that he gave me for my 21st birthday after a week i went and bout a 250 that busa is still in my garage today i just choose to work my way up the bike ladder so that i can be comfortable as the bikes gain more and more power with every new bike i get

Comment

Originally posted by csstaker View Post
                i started out on my uncles hyabusa that he gave me for my 21st birthday after a week i went and bout a 250 that busa is still in my garage today i just choose to work my way up the bike ladder so that i can be comfortable as the bikes gain more and more power with every new bike i get

What the heck was your uncle thinking?

Comment

Maybe his uncle doesn't like both him and his Haya.

Comment

The other day a guy on a sport bike went by with a young girl on the back
                    wearing a halter top and short shorts.. She was cute but she won't be if she hits the pavement .Just hope they weren't hitting the 400 series highway.
                    Great post All newbie's should read it! I once exited an interstate and came in way too hot for the corner & had to use all the road just to hold it. lucky no cars were heading towards me. its real easy to go fast but not so easy to slow down & turn when you have to. Maybe new riders should be made to take the MS course.

Comment

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
                      The other day a guy on a sport bike went by with a young girl on the back
                      wearing a halter top and short shorts.. She was cute but she won't be if she hits the pavement .Just hope they weren't hitting the 400 series highway.
                      Great post All newbie's should read it! I once exited an interstate and came in way too hot for the corner & had to use all the road just to hold it. lucky no cars were heading towards me. its real easy to go fast but not so easy to slow down & turn when you have to. Maybe new riders should be made to take the MS course.
                      Same reason I told my GF to buy all her own gear if she wants to ride so bad. No way in HELL will her body not be covered in leather on a bike
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Red007 View Post
                        That is a matter of opinion. I don't know why people say the katana 600 is slow, its not a slow bike at all. I have raced people on sport bikes and have won, its how you ride and your skill-set. I have a brother who owns a 2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R whom cannot keep up with my 1993 jetted stage I GSX600F.

I wish people would stop saying that the katana is slow, cause its not what people make it out to be.

This isn't a really good comparison. Thats like saying "I have a 1993 Geo Metro and I beat my buddy who has a new GTR.... The Geo isn't slow... Actually, yes the geo is slow, its just that your buddy doesn't know how to drive worth a shart. So... that may be a bit of a stretch, but compared to new sport bikes, kats a "slow".. Compared to a Honda cb360, ya its fast. All depends on what your comparing it too.... a 12.7 second quarter mile is a quick time... compare the kat 600 to a busa, zx14 or any liter bike for that matter when they are capping 9.5's, 3.2 seconds is a HUGE difference in a quarter mile.
                        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                        Current Bikes:
                        1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                          This isn't a really good comparison. Thats like saying "I have a 1993 Geo Metro and I beat my buddy who has a new GTR.... The Geo isn't slow... Actually, yes the geo is slow, its just that your buddy doesn't know how to drive worth a shart. So... that may be a bit of a stretch, but compared to new sport bikes, kats a "slow".. Compared to a Honda cb360, ya its fast. All depends on what your comparing it too.... a 12.7 second quarter mile is a quick time... compare the kat 600 to a busa, zx14 or any liter bike for that matter when they are capping 9.5's, 3.2 seconds is a HUGE difference in a quarter mile.
                          Gadsen ran low 10's to high 9's on the first gen 636 with nothing more than a strap...people dont understand what fast actually means.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

learned how to shift on a 250, traded my jeep for a 600 as soon as he said yes. not saying i'm a great rider but i have no regrets. however i totally agree with this whole post

Comment

Great thread. My first big bike was a Honda Transalp and even that felt fast the first time I opened it up. Rode it all over Europe in all weathers, it taught me sooo much.

Noobs on sportsbikes...
                              Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
                                youl be fine. a kat is a sport touring bike. which means that it has less power than a sport bike of the same size, the throttle is less snappy, and you have to REALLY try to wheelie or do tricks were a sport bike you barly touvh the throtle lol
                                Not that I want to learn wheelies and even be at risk of getting a ticket for a wheelie here in florida, but I think my Kat is impossible to wheelie. I think it may be geared more for higher speeds.

But Good article. I had my 250 Rebel for about 3 months and got a Kat. I liked my rebel but I love my Kat. Way more comfortable on longer rides.
                                99 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X