Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is it ok to lean forward while riding ? ( Chest on tank)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to lean forward while riding ? ( Chest on tank)

I'm a fairly new rider and i have a 2000 Katana 600. If it's pretty windy i lean my body slightly forward with my chest bairly touching the tank. Is this ok to do ?

Thanks for the help.

... can I just ask how new you are?

It is called "tucking in" and each and every one of us does it once we get up to speed or in wind. Hell I just lay on my tank.
    "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

hmm idk, I tried that but my arms are way to long and it was really uncomfortable, and it made turning feel unpredictable but that's just me
      sigpic
      "Horsepower has a tendency to break things, if your not breaking anything your not going fast enough"
      "The shortest way between two points is a straight line...Whats the fun in that?"

Comment

Have been riding 5 months.....put about 3500 miles. On bike so far

Comment

i do it when i don't want to be blasted by wind/ cut down on wind resistance. when i was commuting and had a fully faired Katana i once made a point to duck the entire way to work and the entire way back for 2 days to see if it reduced my fuel consumption. i think that was the time i broke 200 miles on a tank with out reserve.

also i use ducking to keep my body warmth. at night in the winter i duct to keep the wind off my chest and to kinda huddle for warmth with my kat.
          Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
          Tony
          94 Katana 600

Comment

Pretty much the only realisitic reason to be careful of this involves scratching the paint on the tank; be weary of buttons/zippers on jacket/torso gear, belt buckles, snaps on jeans etc. This is the reason you see tank bras on sportbikes.

I suppose there could be a balance issue in an emergency swerve (or something) situation... but I wouldn't worry about that too much. Tuck away brother!
            The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

Over 80 indicated, tucked in, this changes with wind. My elbows rest right on my knees. If it's cold, I'll tuck in at 10, but that's Minnesota for you

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I remember riding my rg125 (a good few years ago now) that way, it was the only to get top end speed on it, trying to get as close to the screen for best aerodynamics.
                I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.

Comment

all the time on the hwys
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I tuck in whenever I am trying to avoid being blown around by wind. Due to going faster or due to weather conditions.
                    Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Since most of my daily riding to work and back is on the freeway, I tuck in all the time. One-way is about 40 mins. and once I am clear of the city congestion...it's time to tuck!

And by 'tuck' I mean lay-on-the-tank. Really helps out on windy days and cuts down on the cold.
                      Like others have said, I rest my elbows on the tops of mt knees...seems to give the wrists and shoulders a break.

Only thing is, unless you adjust your mirrors, you'll have to pop your head up time to time to check 'em. At least thats what I do.

Ride Safe
                      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

I have been riding for just 2 weeks and I was never told to tuck in while learning, but some how I have noticed myself doing this naturally at higher speeds. Almost like the bike told me to.

Comment

No! It is not OK to lean on the gas tank ever!
                          Now go buy a smart car....
                          Last edited by 1FSTKAT; 01-26-2011, 03:55 PM.
                          "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Go to www.youtube.com

Search AMA Superbike

Watch vids..

Nope... no one ever tucks at all...

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You should also drag your knee for stability when cornering, every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X