X

Noob question about riding in heavy stop and go traffic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question about riding in heavy stop and go traffic

I'm very new to riding so this may be a dumb question. I tried searching to see if I could find where someone else asked the same question, I didn't find anything so here goes...

When riding in heavy stop and go traffic, would it be cost effective to kill the engine if you know that you're going to sit in traffic for more than a minute or so without moving and then restarting once traffic starts moving again?

well if the bike is all tuned right you wouldnt waste much gas at all theses bikes if well kept get 45mpg+ so you sitting in traffic for 5 minutes wont use up that much gas
    time to nut up or shut up
    Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
    The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

I just love the fact I live in Cali and am allowed to lane split
      sigpic
      2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JasonChen View Post
        i know it makes traffic so much easier
        time to nut up or shut up
        Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
        The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

In heavy traffic, shutting the engine off at every red light could cause you to kill the batery cranking it over and over again without enough time in between to recharge the battery between starts.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. The replies really helped.

Comment

i thought with an air/oil cooled engine, like on my 98 kat, you can't sit in traffic too long or the bike overheats. not sure what you have though. i have no experience with this situation but others have told me if i get stuck in traffic to just pull off to the side and wait for traffic to get moving again. If you could just kill the bike and walk it (depending on traffic speed), i think that would be fine, ya?
              1998 Katana GSX750F
              “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Comment

Originally posted by Shreder View Post
                i thought with an air/oil cooled engine, like on my 98 kat, you can't sit in traffic too long or the bike overheats. not sure what you have though. i have no experience with this situation but others have told me if i get stuck in traffic to just pull off to the side and wait for traffic to get moving again. If you could just kill the bike and walk it (depending on traffic speed), i think that would be fine, ya?
                I have an '04 Kat 750. I'm not sitting in traffic long enough that I'd think about pulling over so the bike won't over heat. Maybe it will cross my mind in the future now that you mention it. I was just curious what others more experienced riders were doing.

Comment

Anybody remember the opening scene from Office Space?
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

What's lane splitting?

Comment

riding the white line between two same direction lanes of traffic

Comment

Originally posted by coolasice View Post
                        riding the white line between two same direction lanes of traffic
                        Oh, like filtering. As far as the Highway Code goes, that's basically just overtaking, and nothing wrong with that

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe_UK View Post
                          What's lane splitting?
                          It's a great game where you ride between frustrated cagers stuck in traffic. The objective is to see if you can make it through before the cager changes lanes, squeezes you out, or opens a door to get you.

The prize? Couple minutes of time.
                          Tejasandre

Comment

I wish they'd bring that to Ontario.
                            2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                            2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                            1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                            1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Let the motor run. Shutting off and restarting only creates more mechanical wear. Keep the oil running through the cooler even if no air flow is taking place. Maybe consider an add-on fan if severe traffic in the heat is an everyday thing for you.

Or, move to CA. Lane splitting? Tempting. Dangerous... But tempting.
                              2005 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X